Jalen Hurd on Baylor and leaving Tennessee...

Yeah Eddie didn’t do fine. He ended up having massive knee issues due to his height and how he had to run and get low.

My memory isn't perfect, but I think Eddies's injuries were turf toe and shoulder. Either way, he played well beyond the lifespan of a typical RB.

And yes he was having a hard time walking.

When?

I never said Hurd was a hall of fame type player.

There are different levels of overhyping a guy. You don't have to call a guy a legend. All you have to do is pretend he was something he wasn't.

Hurd quit on an undefeated team. Tennessee will never return to championship level recruiting guys like this.

This team should've lost to Appalachian State but Hurd won the game for Jones. Was whipped over and over in the 1st half against Virginia Tech and went on to have one of the worst defenses in history sans this past season and the Sal Serra era. Yet you talk as though Butch Jones was on the verge of greatness.

Jalen is responsible for the way he left. But, Butch is responsible for creating the situation that lead to it. The whole thing was a cluster f on all sides. I understand Jalen's frustrations even if I don't condone his actions. I hope Jalen does well at Baylor and that's the end of it for me. The whole thing is just one of many parts of the Butch years I'd like to forget.

Yep

Reactions: 1 person
Kids at that age are flaky anyway, add crazy friends and family and a kid can get turned the wrong way fast. Add Botch to the mixture and it becomes a disaster. We all have made mistakes, I hope he can recover and does well.

My memory isn't perfect, but I think Eddies's injuries were turf toe and shoulder. Either way, he played well beyond the lifespan of a typical RB.

When?

There are different levels of overhyping a guy. You don't have to call a guy a legend. All you have to do is pretend he was something he wasn't.

Behind a real line and in I formation Hurd could have been a legend. I am trying to be cool here but it seems u just want to argue. The type of scheme Hurd was in was not designed for his build, it was designed for a kamara like back. Eddie played old school style under cooper and in the nfl. He didn’t have a crap scheme like ours was. Hurd should have never been a rb in our scheme. Shoulda been a TD and kamara the lone back.

He was barely able to walk sometime around mid season about three weeks before he quit. Last fall all runs together for me. I just know he was in a room and could barely stand up when I walked in. The curtains were closed and the whole time he just sat there. It wasn’t good. I left after about an hour as I went there only to see his best friend. His best friend Iike my little brother. Anyways, Hurd was not in good shape. A few days later I was told he was quiting. There was a short period of time he honestly thought about giving up football all together. I haven’t seen or heard much about him since he transferred. I just hear he’s excited and keeps saying how he has a real coach now.

And yet everyone else on the roster finished the season without quitting. Strange

Plenty of guys quit on the team without leaving it....

I won't condone how Hurd left the program....but I am sure there is enough evidence out there now to indict CBJ for being a complete prick and very poor leader...

It's easier for me to excuse a 20 year old for making a rash, and immature decision than a Coach making millions of dollars and given every opportunity to succeed.....

He was 18, got sold a pile of goods . That’s fine , he has a good life early on .... wish him the best , he has been thru some challenges , some he brought on myself , but overall he deserves a shot of redemption, for lack of better words.

The idea of a collegiate FB player looking at the reality of life altering injury is not a foreign concept. I personally know a D1 level LB who looked intently into this exact thing and decided to quit as a RS FR likely 1 yr from being the starter. I'd say this is happening more than we are aware of.

Honestly, NFL $$$ or not, I would definitely have one of my own children look intently into this reality before playing. I'm not sure how much of this guided JH, regardless of these statements. But, regardless the concept of low quality of life starting at 35 is concerning. Look where Jamal (a similar player) is in life.

The idea of a collegiate FB player looking at the reality of life altering injury is not a foreign concept. I personally know a D1 level LB who looked intently into this exact thing and decided to quit as a RS FR likely 1 yr from being the starter. I'd say this is happening more than we are aware of.

Powerful message.

Live Faith

Now use the 2015 before he got seriously hurt and played the whole season. He averaged 4.6 yards per run and 4.7 in 2014.

He missed most of 2016.

Stop using skewed facts to make your point.

He averaged 4.7 2014.
4.6 in 2015
And 3.7 in 2016 when he could barely walk sometimes.

And outgrew means he was 6’4 in 2016. How many NFL backs you know of that are 6’4????

Hurd never had a carry longer than 49 yards. Routinely caught from behind and averaging anything less than 5 yds per carry at the college level is pedestrian. He was not that good. Period.

Reactions: 2 people
If one of the biggest themes of living wasn't about fully embracing the new opportunity within the present moment, yesterday would last forever and there would be no tomorrow.

We may not be able to unscramble the proverbial egg, but we can get back up from wherever we are, get back out there to wherever we need to be, and bring home the bacon.

There's a reason we've never heard of "the benefits of bitterness." It just doesn't have the same ring to it as "the power of forgiveness."

Everyone involved with all the foul stuff of any kind has had the opportunity to learn from those experiences and realize this is life so it probably won't be the last time things don't go as planned. At this point, we realize when we became men, we put away childish things. With all that stuff out of the way, there's but one thing to do.

Take care of business!

I'm having a really hard time believing there could be a football coach who would reject lining up Jauan Jennings, Josh Malone, and Jalen Hurd at receiver, with Wolf at tight end and Kamara in the backfield. It makes me feel like I'm not getting the whole story.

I'm having a really hard time believing there could be a football coach who would reject lining up Jauan Jennings, Josh Malone, and Jalen Hurd at receiver, with Wolf at tight end and Kamara in the backfield. It makes me feel like I'm not getting the whole story.

But we all know Butch Jones was stubborn and would rarely change things up for the good of the team. He wanted to prove his ideas and process worked. Thus why he is getting coffee at Alabama

So he was a guaranteed middle 1st round pick according to NFL draft analysts as a RB for last year’s draft, then he decides that’s not his true position even though he played it throughout HS and college? Makes no sense to me, but it’s his life.

No way was he 1st round

Don't underestimate the ingrained animosity toward program-leavers in VN by self-righteous fans, VSF.

Hurd quit during a game. Butch and Company didn’t help the kid by allowing him to skip practices etc. Hurd has animosity towards Kamara. He should have probably left but wait until after the season. He cost us a couple games.

He got blindsided again in the SC game and never returned.

He handled his injuries poorly.

Remember he played after the hit against Ga.

He handled it poorly.

I hope him the best. Maybe we can stick it to him in one of the bowl games that matter.

Tee Martin had Hurd pegged correctly early it seems and he tagged the young man as "soft." Go down the history of Vol RBs and ask yourself how many young men went to the coaching staff at the time and asked them to run him differently so as to limit the hard hits? Curt Watson? Johnny Majors? Chuck Webb? Jamal Lewis? Reggie Cobb? Travis Henry? Alvin Kamara? To just toss a few names out there and I cannot recall any of them EVER going to the media or having their friends (which is even a factor of wussification hard for me to grasp) go for them to explain how hard thge hits are, and how tough it was, and how bruised and hurt he was after games??? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Hurd made his shiznit sandwich, took a giant bite of it, and then walked off, the epitome of a quitter. He has his txrd polishers and painters here on VN, polish and paint away, the underlying legacy of Jalen Hurd at UT is a shiznit sandwich of his own making. He's Baylor's issue now, let them manage whatever it is he has become as a football player.

Reactions: 4 people
It amazes me to see so much hate, for a kid that most don't think was that good anyway, just because he quit. :crazy:

I hope he succeeds.

Reactions: 8 people
You must not grasp what hate is or can be Behr. I have a very low tolerance for boorish and horrible behavior, like the poster child for that which Jalen Hurd became as a Vol football player. I don't wish or want the young man's future to be anything, I'm ambivalent about it, he's not associated with Vol football any longer, I care for him like I would any other unknown player at Baylor.

You need to get mature on what hate actually is and not glibly toss the term around where it does not apply.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back