Jalen Hurd on Baylor and leaving Tennessee...

A guy his size ought to have been an effective running back. And, as the bleacher report piece says, Hurd initially asked to do more outside/stretch plays. That's actually not a decent design for a guy his size, and certainly isn't a decent design for a guy with his lack of quickness.

Not defending Butch here. Not at all. But if a back who has displayed little quickness, and is way too easy to bring down in space, comes to his coach and says "I think we should run more stretch plays," then the coach should offer nothing more than a firm "No."

Um....

He was an effective back.

Did you check his stats Bama fan?
His numbers were always high.
He outgrew the position.
And he dragged people with him cause he was hit at the line, he never went down easy.
Sheesh.
I formation back given the ball in a crap scheme while standing still when everyone knew he was going to run and still did what he did.
Broke 100 yards on your boys too if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 5 people
If he wasn't happy at UT i don't blame him for leaving. But he did in fact give up on his team. But i wish him the best.

Um....

In 2016 his yards per carry were dead last in the SEC and 8th worst in the entire country. Did you check his stats?

He outgrew the position.

What does that even mean?

And he dragged people with him cause he was hit at the line, he never went down easy.

Over half of his career carries went for less than 3 yards. Over 60% in 2016.

I formation back given the ball in a crap scheme while standing still when everyone knew he was going to run and still did what he did.

You don't.

Reactions: 3 people
I called Hurd a quitter. After reading this, its not that black and white. I have a lot more respect for him now.

Um....

He outgrew the position.
Sheesh.

Bamawriter has some good takes, but he’s a Bama homer at heart and their fans have a deep hatred for Hurd...based on him being the first truly coveted player to spurn Saban for Tennessee. #GradeOfSlaw

:)

Reactions: 5 people
In 2016 his yards per carry were dead last in the SEC and 8th worst in the entire country. Did you check his stats?

You don't.

Lot of vitriol spent on an irrelevant player? :lol:

Reactions: 3 people
I called Hurd a quitter. After reading this, its not that black and white. I have a lot more respect for him now.

I always wanted to hear his side of the story. With Butch controlling the narrative it was impossible to do that. We all watched Butch call play after play where he tried to send Hurd up the middle unsuccessfully. It wasn't working, whether you want to blame Hurd or the crap Oline is up to you. Plan A clearly wasn't working so letting him take a shot at receiver couldn't have hurt. We all watched Butch mishandle great talent and great potential in several players.

Reactions: 1 person
He's either wise to have walked away from millions in the NFL to reinvent himself as a player and open the door to a longer career in the league or selfish and foolish for deciding to chase an impossible dream.

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

NFL scouts were assessing him when he was in junior high school and were already well aware of his multifaceted skill set.
Hell, the first time I saw the kid's high school highlights I thought to myself; "This big kid could play wide receiver!"

I call B.S.. He's a quitter and I
wouldn't draft him for that reason.

Last edited:

You don't.

Now use the 2015 before he got seriously hurt and played the whole season. He averaged 4.6 yards per run and 4.7 in 2014.

He missed most of 2016.

Stop using skewed facts to make your point.

He averaged 4.7 2014.
4.6 in 2015
And 3.7 in 2016 when he could barely walk sometimes.

And outgrew means he was 6’4 in 2016. How many NFL backs you know of that are 6’4????

Reactions: 2 people
Um....

He outgrew the position.
Sheesh.

Ummm I’ll give you most of those but the one where you say he never went down easy is a stretch

I always wanted to hear his side of the story. With Butch controlling the narrative it was impossible to do that. We all watched Butch call play after play where he tried to send Hurd up the middle unsuccessfully. It wasn't working, whether you want to blame Hurd or the crap Oline is up to you. Plan A clearly wasn't working so letting him take a shot at receiver couldn't have hurt. We all watched Butch mishandle great talent and great potential in several players.

I will give you his side of the story.
He sat in a room for four days straight with the blinds closed and couldn’t stand for more than a few minutes right around the sc game.

I honestly can’t remember if it was before or after that game because last year was a fn blur for me due to some personal stuff.

But the kid was jacked up.

He has two best friends. Oddly, both have the same first names. Both told him he was milking himself. He made a decision to leave based on health. He was also never a cancer in the locker room.

Is he a diva? He can be.
Is he arrogant? He can be.
But he was banged up bad.

I think it WAS a huge mess with enough fault to go around in how it was handled . Butch was horrible and is no longer here , jalens future will be decided this year then maybe this crap can all go the way of the Do Do .

Ummm I’ll give you most of those but the one where you say he never went down easy is a stretch

2016 he went down real easy.
He was hurt bad and scared to get hurt worse.
2014 and 2015 he fought like hell and would push players.
I don’t know excactky when he got banged up in the lower back and hip area but the headaches were horrible right around the usc game.

In some ways he had mentally given up. I can’t judge that. I have never been that beat up.

Don't quit in the middle of the season and you don't end up the bad guy.

I agree ...but concussions are a special concern.

He was indeed the scapegoat, but in reality the offense clicked better without him, especially how he was used to pound away at unblocked holes on highly predictable 1st down play calling.

I wish him well at Baylor. He was just another casualty of CBJ insanity.

Wait a minute. I thought the issue was the way Butch and company were using him in their offense. I thought he wanted to run under a more traditional power game with a fullback. He stated he wanted to be a running back and not change positions here at TN. Now, all of a sudden, he's an elite wide receiver? Not buying it. The dude quit on his team.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah I don’t think anyone could disagree that JH has a boatload to prove. You got to wish him well what with his size and athletic abilities and hope He doesn’t squander it like so many before him. Everything to me hinges on his attitude and if he’s been humbled at all. If not he’ll be making widgets for a living but I hope not.

So he was a guaranteed middle 1st round pick according to NFL draft analysts as a RB for last year’s draft, then he decides that’s not his true position even though he played it throughout HS and college? Makes no sense to me, but it’s his life.

Hurd will be another 30 For 30 episode. A kid who got screwed by an ineffective football coach as well as by a family who gave him horrible advice. His career will likely never recover and it’s incredibly sad. He’s was a naive man who desperately needed rational guidance.

I almost guarantee he will end up being successful some where somehow. He might not get picked up early in the draft, but i could totally see this being another Kamara story where Butch looks like a complete idiot for misuse of talent. Why in this world, when you have kamara and kelly can you not find a use for this guy somewhere at either tight end or receiver. If needed he could still rush a few plays a game if needed, but you still have two very capable backs which ended up being used since he left. Very dumb move letting him go no matter what went down.

I’ll never forget him getting KTFO at the goal line by GA. Did not finish the play......didn’t finish the season

Ah....the infamous unnamed former assistant source. Dude was a quitter. Period.

It's amazing how a clickbait company can roll out a steaming t¥rd with yet more anonymous sources. And fans just gobble it up and form opinions just like when he left. Jalen's direct quotes can MAYBE be considered IF they are recorded and understood properly. Otherwise we have zero idea if anything went down like this writer or the other one's say.

Now use the 2015 before he got seriously hurt and played the whole season. He averaged 4.6 yards per run and 4.7 in 2014.

4.7 is not impressive for a college back.

He missed most of 2016.

Stop using skewed facts to make your point.

He had a season's worth of carries in just seven games. For the sake of fairness, I only used the rankings of backs who had more than 100 carries. He was simply that terrible.

He averaged 4.7 2014.
4.6 in 2015
And 3.7 in 2016 when he could barely walk sometimes.

Barely walk?

And outgrew means he was 6’4 in 2016. How many NFL backs you know of that are 6’4????

He's the same height as Eddie George. Eddie did just fine.

Last edited:
Now, my real Qs @ Jalen Hurd are these ...
#1 Will he really be able to create separation from quality DBs?
#2 Will he be able to stretch the defenses vertically with his average RB speed?
#3 Are his "hands" and downfield catch techniques good enough to start in a P5 conference at WR?
#4 How precise of a downfield route runner is Jalen in comparison to others with maybe 6-8yrs at the WR position?

I truly don't know. I know he was an solid and intriquing RB prospect for the NFL. But wideout?

Here's what I do know from my eye test ...
#1 That boy is a very good blocker. If that translates outside on quicker defenders then OCs will love him in the run game if nothing else.
#2 He'll have some catching up to do getting off the line in press coverage. But, rest assured, no CB or N is gonna want to try and jam this guy at the LoS.
#3 Jalen showed a lot of skill catching out of the backfield and getting good yardage. In the slot if he uses his size and strength to his avantage, he could be a mismatch on Ns and Ss.
#4 ... It had to finally come, but ... He has some really good running, blocking, receiving, and catching skills that would translate in the H-back (TE :p) role IMO. Hard to not see him in that role some, unless he's just shedding weight into the 220s for the WR position.

Overall, I have a hard time seeing how this transition is going to give him a better shot at pro ball then had he just fought through the rest of 2016. The word on Jones is not to trust his evaluation of players implicitly. See A. Kamara. So, Jalen would have got looked at a lot of ways outside how he was used at UT. Whether he shines ENOUGH at 1st yr WR to get drafted is beyond the scope of my day job.

I wish him well and appreciate all he gave to the Vols.

4.7 is not impressive for a college back.

He had a season's worth of carries in just seven games. For the sake of fairness, I only used the rankings of backs who had more than 100 carries. He was simply that terrible.

Barely walk?

He's the same height as Eddie George. Eddie did just fine.

Yeah Eddie didn’t do fine. He ended up having massive knee issues due to his height and how he had to run and get low.

And the average nfl back is 6 foot or under. Dallas rob Elliott is six foot and one of the tallest starting rb in the league.

And yes he was having a hard time walking.

He had a 100 plus carries injured and not lined up the way any other coach would have including yours. Only an idiot lines a 6’3 back up directly next to the q.b. You give the guy a few steps to get running like they did in his final bowl game.

But that was just jones making a promise he never kept to keep Hurd from transferring.

Lol using Eddie George. That’s like comparing all the bama running backs who failed in the nfl to Jamal Lewis. Keep it sane man. I never said Hurd was a hall of fame type player.

VN Store

Back