Jalen Hurd on Baylor and leaving Tennessee...

Good article IMO.

So many Vol Fans have torched the guy for "quitting" on the program, many of whom referred to many other UT transfers as quitters who couldn't take Butch's "hard-coaching".

The truth is Butch was arguably the worst Volunteer football coach in history. He lied to and belittled his players on a regular basis. The truth is that Jones ran the program further into the ditch than most ever thought possible yet many Vol fans want to rail on a 20 year-old college football player. A player that literally took a beating (with no lead blocker) to don the Orange - a guy who played with an attitude and would have broken the rushing record at Tennessee.

In my book the blame rests squarely on Jones; Jones is an arrogant, pompous, prima donna who should never be permitted to coach football!

I say Good Luck to Jalen Hurd; I hope he has a great season and a lengthy pro career!

Reactions: 8 people
Being devil's advocate here...did you read the article?

He said that he re-evaluated after the Appalachian State game, and the toll that being RB for all those years and all those carries had taken, and that the average RB plays for 3.5 years in the NFL, but the average WR plays 10.

It's a smart life move, but the timing and the delivery where what were the issue in his case. Plus, it's not like it was ever going to work to have your request to change from a workhorse RB to a WR approved by the coaches in the middle of a potentially great season.

Add-on edit: If he had just asked to take less carries, and then swap to WR/TE in the offseason, then come back for his Senior season that way, he'd have been tons better for it too.

I read the article, that’s why I mentioned the “first round” comments as a rb.

Ah....the infamous unnamed former assistant source. Dude was a quitter. Period.

Do you know the details? Just curious or are you like a lot of the rest who call him a quitter just because it was mid season? I generally would feel the same if there had not been so many other issues with this happening during the Jones years.

Reactions: 1 person
This actually makes sense.
He reaped what he sowed from the decision he made as far as public reaction. His decision overshadowed the other part of the story then and now. Bu it doesn't change the fact of how and why it happened.

Exactly. If he had just stuck with it the remaining games, supported his teammates, and then transferred, I doubt many would have any issues with him. But by dealing with it the way he did, he made himself the bad guy by default.

Do you know the details? Just curious or are you like a lot of the rest who call him a quitter just because it was mid season? I generally would feel the same if there had not been so many other issues with this happening during the Jones years.

The details are that Jalen quit on his teammates and now he wants to play the victim card.

Reactions: 11 people
Exactly. If he had just stuck with it the remaining games, supported his teammates, and then transferred, I doubt many would have any issues with him. But by dealing with it the way he did, he made himself the bad guy by default.

Didn’t the team vote him out? Seems like that’s what was put out there. His teammates didn’t want him around.

Reactions: 2 people
Didn’t the team vote him out? Seems like that’s what was put out there. His teammates didn’t want him around.

Yeah after he acted out; but I'm including that in how he reacted. He shouldn't have acted like a prima donna (or pre-Madonna) at all.

This article is wrong about why he was benched. He never even scored. He slacked off and was jogging to the endzone. He didn't finish the play.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mid2VaF5LTE[/youtube]

If they're wrong about that, what else are they wrong about?

Baylor stinks! Good luck at Title 9 U!

NFL talent evaluators will find him no matter where he plays this year if he is actually good enough to make it at the next level. He may actually generate better tape at Baylor than he would have at TN regardless of the coach. For his sake I hope he's on the Heisman watchlist by the middle of October.

Reactions: 5 people
This article is wrong about why he was benched. He never even scored. He slacked off and was jogging to the endzone. He didn't finish the play.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mid2VaF5LTE[/youtube]

If they're wrong about that, what else are they wrong about?

He scored a TD later in the game and acted like a pr*ck to CBJ after he scored. He was then benched. I am sure that was due to him being lit up after the fumble on this play.

The details are that Jalen quit on his teammates and now he wants to play the victim card.

I am sure the article was written like this for his future draft stock. Still though none of us know his 1 on 1 status with the coaching staff. Not to mention he is not the only player to have done this during the Jones tenure. For me Jones did a very poor job setting his expectations with high profile players.

Against all the hate I think Hurd made the right choice for him. As painful as it is to say he wouldn't have made it as a RB in the NFL being such a big back. I can see both sides of the argument though. His choice makes sense end of day but for coaches when you have Hurd and you have AK and John Kelly on the roster its hard to make that move.

I have no doubt that Hurd will make a great WR (Anquan Boldin type) and like many questioned on day one think he could have played WR/TE from the start here. The problem is he was too valuable as a back for a coach that had to win. There was no question his value at RB and our lack of depth there we were "deep" at WR his whole career. We never lacked talent at the position just production and healthy bodies.

Glad to see someone here has good sense. Fact is whether you're talking about glass, a machine, or a person. Put enough pressure on it and it'll break. Often at what you would consider the worst time.

Reactions: 6 people

Don't underestimate the ingrained animosity toward program-leavers in VN by self-righteous fans, VSF.

Reactions: 4 people
I would have liked him better in a run-style offense for TN. His size would have been perfect for CJP's offense.

Reading the article, that isn't what he wanted. It sounds like (granted this is all his current narrative) that he did not want to move to the I formation like was rumored, but wanted to move to WR or at least more of a role as a pass catching RB out in space. Something where he wasn't taking 30+ hits per game.

VN Store

Back