Keller Chryst Signing to be announced in the morning per

We completely agree then. It’s a great thing he’s coming to Tennessee to bolster and provide depth to the QB room. Our QBs will be better for the competition with an older, experienced guy like him in the mix. And I f he wins the job then great.

I’m just saying that Ainge, Swain, Hubbs and others have all said they believe he’ll compete for the job which is a great thing.....but that he’ll end up battling WM for the backup spot behind JG when it’s all said and done.

And thanks for not calling me a liar, although I’m not sure why you were considering it in the first place.

I completely agree with those points. I just cannot wait for Spring ball to see how much our team has changed. I’m high on Keller and a bit unfair to JG because of Butch but I think he could be a solid QB. The South Carolina game showed me that.

My papaw had only whooped me once while I was younger & that was for calling my uncle a Liar. Learned my lesson.

Reactions: 1 person
Chryst won't be suiting up until after Spring Practice, so the starting job is JG's to lose, and barring injury I expect he starts against WVU. But he only keeps the #1 job if he performs well. Chryst will get his chance, sooner or later, and if he's the better man for the job he could take it away after 2-3 games. McBride may be the odd man out but we're lucky to have added a quality graduate transfer and increased our depth at QB. Props to Pruitt and staff for convincing Chryst to don the Orange and White.

Last edited:
The way I look at it is JG and Chryst will be competing for the starting role and both will probably see playing time in order to win the most games. Unless Chryst performs much much better, I do not think he will get all of the play time. You must remember that he'll be here for one year and if you start him all season you'll be back to square one next season. If he is the best of the bunch they'll definitely start him and JG will more than likely still get plenty of snaps. This allows shrout and mcbride to both red shirt and gain another year of development and by the time Chryst leaves next season one of the two should be ready to backup JG.

Chryst won't be suiting up until after Spring Practice, so the starting job is JG's to lose, and barring injury I expect he starts against WVU. But he only keeps the #1 job if he performs well. Chryst will get his chance, sooner or later, and if he's the better man for the job he could take it away after 2-3 games. McBride may be the odd man out but we're lucky to have added a quality graduate transfer and increased our depth at QB. Props to Pruitt and staff for convincing Chryst to don the Orange and White.

Yeah I don’t think Pruitt is one to wait 6-7 years to build an SEC program.

Yeah I don’t think Pruitt is one to wait 6-7 years to build an SEC program.

No, and I don't think he worries much about Chryst being "one and done" or favors playing an underclassman if he thinks the graduate transfer gives UT the best chance of winning.

The way I look at it is JG and Chryst will be competing for the starting role and both will probably see playing time in order to win the most games. Unless Chryst performs much much better, I do not think he will get all of the play time. You must remember that he'll be here for one year and if you start him all season you'll be back to square one next season. If he is the best of the bunch they'll definitely start him and JG will more than likely still get plenty of snaps. This allows shrout and mcbride to both red shirt and gain another year of development and by the time Chryst leaves next season one of the two should be ready to backup JG.

Quality post, very logical. You must be an Engineer.

Reactions: 4 people
Jumping the gun much? This kid won’t be here until after he graduates in June. And he already got beat out by a Sophomore for a job. JG has every advantage on him, no matter how much you guys want to manufacture this immaturity or lack of mental toughness you think JG has. He will be a good back up plan in a worst case scenario.

Good!

Well what does it say for him if he's projected to be a backup as a 5th yr guy?

I'm giving you my eye test. I watch more than SEC football. If he plays for the Vols this Fall, you heard it here first...

Well. . . the only thing I can say to this is, uh. .. Oh Chryst! :)

Well! What have I missed? Ohh!! Welcome to the hill big guy. Volnation will welcome you with love, hugs, and kisses... come on in here and show the world that we mean business with ya. Your leadership in that locker room will pull this team together, because that is what we need, unlike the 2017 season. It seem to me that they quit last year, but I do believe that this year they won’t. New excitement and change will fuel this team, and we will see a big difference. I think and say this, get ready volnation, because we are going to tee it up and play with a new attitude. RESPECT will be coming back. Pruitt is doing this thing right with recruiting, workouts, and practice. Bring it on volnation, and let’s go...❤️❤️❤️💥👍😎

Just a hunch, but I suspect Chryst not getting here until June won't be that big a deal. He's certainly smart enough to pick up the offense. It's likely to be more familiar to him since it's along the lines of what he ran at Stanford. Since JG was running the butchy boy offense, I'd think that right now Chryst is further along in terms of understanding this offense than JG is. Question is how well JG can pick things up in spring ball. Speed of the game also isn't something that Chryst will need much time to adjust to. He's used to power 5 football. If JG has an advantage, it's in knowing his teammates and having the luxury of a spring developing chemistry and timing with his WRs. Bet that changes greatly over the summer though. Based on how highly thought of Chryst was in the locker room at Standford, I suspect he'll be a solid presence in the locker room quickly. Regardless, both will get a shot at winning this job in the fall. That's how it should be.

I think Chryst will win the job. JG will be the backup and might leave at the end of this coming year like Dormady did. That's a concern. Shrout will have his chance but UT will obviously be looking to find their QB of the future in this next class. As for McBride, I just don't see him at UT going forward. Only real question is when he decides to transfer. Not sure why he wouldn't want to find another school, make the move now and have a chance to go through spring ball with the new team?

Can't wait to flip this roster.

Reactions: 3 people
If Chryst can come in and in short order establish himself as the starter before the WVU game, more power to him... and to the Vols in the Fall. It will be fun to watch, however it develops.

VN Store

Back