Keller Chryst Signing to be announced in the morning per

Just a hunch, but I suspect Chryst not getting here until June won't be that big a deal. He's certainly smart enough to pick up the offense. It's likely to be more familiar to him since it's along the lines of what he ran at Stanford. Since JG was running the butchy boy offense, I'd think that right now Chryst is further along in terms of understanding this offense than JG is. Question is how well JG can pick things up in spring ball. Speed of the game also isn't something that Chryst will need much time to adjust to. He's used to power 5 football. If JG has an advantage, it's in knowing his teammates and having the luxury of a spring developing chemistry and timing with his WRs. Bet that changes greatly over the summer though. Based on how highly thought of Chryst was in the locker room at Standford, I suspect he'll be a solid presence in the locker room quickly. Regardless, both will get a shot at winning this job in the fall. That's how it should be.

I think Chryst will win the job. JG will be the backup and might leave at the end of this coming year like Dormady did. That's a concern. Shrout will have his chance but UT will obviously be looking to find their QB of the future in this next class. As for McBride, I just don't see him at UT going forward. Only real question is when he decides to transfer. Not sure why he wouldn't want to find another school, make the move now and have a chance to go through spring ball with the new team?

Can't wait to flip this roster.

That last sentence shows exactly why you think chryst will take the starting job, you just don't want any person associated with butch even if they are a player. I get it, but you are acting like a battered dog shying away from all men because one bad one beat you. Why don't you just trust the staff to play the best players available to win, instead of preaching that all of the butch tainted players need to be pushed out asap.

Reactions: 1 person
That last sentence shows exactly why you think chryst will take the starting job, you just don't want any person associated with butch even if they are a player. I get it, but you are acting like a battered dog shying away from all men because one bad one beat you. Why don't you just trust the staff to play the best players available to win, instead of preaching that all of the butch tainted players need to be pushed out asap.

Wait is a four letter word.

We litterally cannot wait to flip this roaster, but have to win with the players we field in the fall.

Pruit knows that, and knows there are players on this team, today. If you listened to Saban's post Tennessee speech, he said that JG "may someday be a great" quarterback.

naw its common sense why waist one full season on a project in JG when u can bring a guy in that knows a pro style offense and he played at Stanford. Shrout will start in 2019.. :)

I keep a grain of salt handy for your predictions. You did GUARANTEE Butch would be back next season...even made a thread. :lol:

Reactions: 4 people
naw its common sense why waist one full season on a project in JG when u can bring a guy in that knows a pro style offense and he played at Stanford. Shrout will start in 2019.. :)

You mean why "waste" one season on a qb with worse stats than JG ? Shrout will never start a game here most likely. Be real. JG starts then whatever highly ranked qb we lands takes over when he leaves.

You mean why "waste" one season on a qb with worse stats than JG ? Shrout will never start a game here most likely. Be real. JG starts then whatever highly ranked qb we lands takes over when he leaves.

But what if the “highly ranked QB” arrives before JG departs and gets some love on this board? You’ll get butthurt and damn him to your personal hell. :)

Reactions: 2 people
JG's biggest games were UK, LSU, and Vandy.
The only fairly impressive one was LSU but it's not the LSU of the past.

So a bunch of SEC teams who went to bowls? Not bad as a freshman. Chyrst had a worse year as a Jr playing in the no defense PAC12 that could barely win a bowl game.

Last edited:
But what if the “highly ranked QB” arrives before JG departs and gets some love on this board? You’ll get butthurt and damn him to your personal hell. :)

If he comes in and is a Fields or Lawrence or something and is super talented great. I would love to have a exceptional talent come in and play lights out.

That is not Shrout and Chryst.

JG's biggest games were UK, LSU, and Vandy.
The only fairly impressive one was LSU but it's not the LSU of the past.

1. He took the team downfield on the last drive of the game vs SCar, threw a perfect pass to Brandon Johnson in the end zone who dropped what should’ve been the game-winning pass. On that drive, when idiot Butch Jones had no choice but to open it up and let JG throw, JG threw 16 yards to Callaway, 39 yards to Johnson, 8 yards to Callaway, 9 yards to Callaway.....and again, a perfect pass to Johnson in the end zone that he couldn’t catch for the game winning touchdown.

2. He was 18-23 (78.3%) for 242 yards, 166 passer rating, came up 1-2 yards short of throwing the game-winning Hail Mary touchdown pass at Kentucky .....behind that atrocious OL, playing for that atrocious coaching staff. Not impressed with him that night? You weren’t paying attention then.

3. 239 yards throwing in a monsoon, 158 passer rating vs LSU, the #21 pass defense in the country.

4. 183 yards throwing, 2 tds, 154 qb rating vs Vandy, the #26 ranking pass defense in the country.

Keep hating on the kid, but he’s gonna he your starting qb come September imo.

Reactions: 4 people
If he comes in and is a Fields or Lawrence or something and is super talented great. I would love to have a exceptional talent come in and play lights out.

That is not Shrout and Chryst.

Far as you know. I’m in basic agreement with you as far as Chryst vs Guarantano. I don’t feel you have any inkling of how good or bad Shrout will turn out. Right now he’s a perceived threat to your chosen one...so scorched Earth. :hi:

That's comical. JG will not start over Chryst, unless an injury happens. The only thing JG proved last season was that he was not ready to be a starting caliber QB in this league. Chryst was a starter, with good numbers, in a power 5 conference. He lost the job to injury. Also, There is no way a guy like Chryst chooses UT to come and sit the bench. He's looking to start and gain interest for next years draft, if he can play well. Chryst will be the starter until he gets hurt or just sucks that bad.

We're in trouble if that's the case

Far as you know. I’m in basic agreement with you as far as Chryst vs Guarantano. I don’t feel you have any inkling of how good or bad Shrout will turn out. Right now he’s a perceived threat to your chosen one...so scorched Earth. :hi:

Wrong.

If he was Lawrence or Fields I would think he may start first year. They are super talented kids that have the ranking, camp performances, and stats at the high school level to justify hype or talk of being able to start over a player like JG possibly.

Shrout was evaluated by the same people who evaluated the other two and JG. He was ranked 600 spots lower than them for his performance during the season and camp season.

He did have one good camp people bring up. It seems to be an aberration though. He was still deemed not that great of a player.

The most damning thing of all are his stats.

51% 26 ints and only about 7ypa.

He was not even throwing deep a ton and completed 51% with a million ints.

Of course he could he could miraculously be a hundred times more accurate vs SEC teams than HS teams but its not likely.

We got who we could. Someone with potential for a body in the qb room. And maybe a better passing backup than McBride.

Wrong.

If he was Lawrence or Fields I would think he may start first year. They are super talented kids that have the ranking, camp performances, and stats at the high school level to justify hype or talk of being able to start over a player like JG possibly.

Shrout was evaluated by the same people who evaluated the other two and JG. He was ranked 600 spots lower than them for his performance during the season and camp season.

He did have one good camp people bring up. It seems to be an aberration though. He was still deemed not that great of a player.

The most damning thing of all are his stats.

51% 26 ints and only about 7ypa.

He was not even throwing deep a ton and completed 51% with a million ints.

Of course he could he could miraculously be a hundred times more accurate vs SEC teams than HS teams but its not likely.

We got who we could. Someone with potential for a body in the qb room. And maybe a better passing backup than McBride.

He had ONE year as a starter. The ONE camp he attended drew high praise from professional evaluators. He’s an incomplete study especially compared to prospects who started multiple years. I’d say you’re being ridiculous but this is your modus operandi...select and pick. I’ll assume if he bypasses your permission and excels under Helton’s development, that you’ll find a way to pull for him.

1. He took the team downfield on the last drive of the game vs SCar, threw a perfect pass to Brandon Johnson in the end zone who dropped what should’ve been the game-winning pass. On that drive, when idiot Butch Jones had no choice but to open it up and let JG throw, JG threw 16 yards to Callaway, 39 yards to Johnson, 8 yards to Callaway, 9 yards to Callaway.....and again, a perfect pass to Johnson in the end zone that he couldn’t catch for the game winning touchdown.

2. He was 18-23 (78.3%) for 242 yards, 166 passer rating, came up 1-2 yards short of throwing the game-winning Hail Mary touchdown pass at Kentucky .....behind that atrocious OL, playing for that atrocious coaching staff. Not impressed with him that night? You weren’t paying attention then.

3. 239 yards throwing in a monsoon, 158 passer rating vs LSU, the #21 pass defense in the country.

4. 183 yards throwing, 2 tds, 154 qb rating vs Vandy, the #26 ranking pass defense in the country.

Keep hating on the kid, but he’s gonna he your starting qb come September imo.

1. One drive where most his yards came from isn't exactly nerve settling. QD was lights at the end of GT but he sucked in the rest of the games.

2. I already said UK was one of his biggest games. Was I impressed because of the OL being terrible? Sure but McBride had the same OL and did decent for his first ever collegiate start. Moreover, minus some switching and injuries that OL was basically the same for QD.

3. He did well.

4. Already said it was one his biggest games.

There is no doubt he looked better towards the end of the year but don't act like JG is light years ahead of Chryst. I think his completion percentage is a limited sample size due to a lot of safe passes. IMO, I think there will be close competition or else Chryst would have went somewhere else.

Not hating on the kid either. He has a lot of talent and has tremendous upside but I don't get this love all of a sudden.

Hold the it was Butch's fault argument for the lack of development and a bad offense. If you use that argument for JG then the same could be said for QD.

He had ONE year as a starter. The ONE camp he attended drew high praise from professional evaluators. He’s an incomplete study especially compared to prospects who started multiple years. I’d say you’re being ridiculous but this is your modus operandi...select and pick. I’ll assume if he bypasses your permission and excels under Helton’s development, that you’ll find a way to pull for him.

He attended more than one camp. He had one good camp and it got some press. Writers don't write articles about the 1000 ranked guy when he has a mediocre camp.

What does starting one year have to do with anything.

Plenty of qbs started one year of high school and still were high 4 or 5 stars. Also qbs have missed most of the jr and sr years and still were ranked higher.

A ton start one year and aren't 51% with a 1/1 td int ratio. If he was throwing deep that could maybe be excused if he was at 13 ypa or something. He averaged less per pass than JG.

1. One drive where most his yards came from isn't exactly nerve settling. QD was lights at the end of GT but he sucked in the rest of the games.

2. I already said UK was one of his biggest games. Was I impressed because of the OL being terrible? Sure but McBride had the same OL and did decent for his first ever collegiate start. Moreover, minus some switching and injuries that OL was basically the same for QD.

3. He did well.

4. Already said it was one his biggest games.

There is no doubt he looked better towards the end of the year but don't act like JG is light years ahead of Chryst. I think his completion percentage is a limited sample size due to a lot of safe passes. IMO, I think there will be close competition or else Chryst would have went somewhere else.

Not hating on the kid either. He has a lot of talent and has tremendous upside but I don't get this love all of a sudden.

Hold the it was Butch's fault argument for the lack of development and a bad offense. If you use that argument for JG then the same could be said for QD.

1. Our brilliant head coach and OC allowed JG to throw all of 10 passes prior to the last drive when he threw 8....72 of his 133 yards passing on that last drive which should’ve culminated in a game-winning score had Brandon Johnson not dropped a perfectly thrown pass.

2. What about McBride impressed you behind that OL? His 1-8 for 12 yard second half performance vs mighty Southern Miss? (BTW, in the first half, vs the same defense in the same game, JG was 9-13 for 102 yards before having his ankle injured).

Or his 16-32 passing for 132 yards, 4.3 yards per attempt, 1 touchdown, 3 turnovers vs Missouri, the worst pass defense in the SEC last year?

3. Yes he did.

4. Just confirming.

And if you’re keeping score at home, he only started 6 games last year, 5 of 6 were decent to pretty good starts.

JG was raw last year, couldn’t feel pressure, held the ball too long.....maybe because he was trying too hard to make something out of nothing. And I’ve got no problem applying the idea of JG getting horrible qb coaching to both QD and WM. To ignore it does a serious injustice to all of our qbs last year.

I may be wrong, but I sincerely believe JG has all the physical tools needed to play at a high SEC level, and I think he has some strong intangibles as well (tough, leadership). He badly needs to be taught the position and how to get rid of the ball on time. But if he can pick that up and stop taking bad sacks, I think he can be a good SEC QB.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back