Why all the Fulmer hate?

that's always a 'safe' bet, keeps you from getting egg on your face.

That's not the concern. People saying "great hire" have no clue as to if it will actually be a great hire. Phillip is a good guy. He was a good coach and certainly loves the University. His behavior though, is indicative of someone who is self serving.

Reactions: 1 person
That's not the concern. People saying "great hire" have no clue as to if it will actually be a great hire. Phillip is a good guy. He was a good coach and certainly loves the University. His behavior though, is indicative of someone who is self serving.

And he does have some executive experience. He was heavily involved in restarting the program at ETSU. That was no small feat and started playing at the 1-AA level.

I'd like to know who you are, we were teammates in '86.

And he does have some executive experience. He was heavily involved in restarting the program at ETSU. That was no small feat and started playing at the 1-AA level.

With all due respect, that's isn't even close to the multi-level organizational responsibilities he has as AD of UT Sports

Chill out, The planets have aligned. The sun will come up in the morning and the grass will still be green. We are in a new area.

I guess a lot of folks just got tired of going to all of those SEC Championship Games (5 in last 11 years, 2 in last 5, 1 out of last 2) and New Years' Day Bowl Games. I also remember many of those same miserable people saying, 10 wins in a season is just not that impressive anymore."

Reactions: 3 people
Same ole same ole.

Different opinion = Hate

I don’t hate Fulmer at all, but I can tell you the folks with the idol worship going on get under my skin. Slightly above average coach with excellent assistants and above average talent on the team.

My one exposure ro Fulmer off the field exposed what I believe to be the true individual. Quite honestly he was an ass. No cameras, no center of attention, kids at the registers didn’t know him.

He ran the program into the ground.

I hear a lot of that talk. And, it's just that. BS talk. But, what of Kiffin, Dooley and Jones? Why don't they get all the hate talk about completely dismantling and running this program into the ground? Why? Fulmer brought us more than any other coach in my lifetime.

I was just getting accustomed to Fulmer as the lovable, big teddy bear of a guy, getting some due respect and love as a former national title winning coach, as he quietly faded into the twilight, occasionally showing up for some awards and standing ovations.

And then, poof, that vision, gone. Fulmer is back as a power-player, mover and shaker, pushing buttons and pulling levers at the highest levels of the athletic department. Gone is the sweet innocence of retirement, and back is at least a hint of a conniving, manipulative man who may smile to your face only to shove a knife through your back as soon as you turn away.

I liked the resuscitated, affable Fulmer, not the “in charge of the entire UT athletics” Fulmer.

Much of your post is BS and it's sad that you don't know it.

I don’t hate Fulmer at all, but I can tell you the folks with the idol worship going on get under my skin. Slightly above average coach with excellent assistants and above average talent on the team.

My one exposure ro Fulmer off the field exposed what I believe to be the true individual. Quite honestly he was an ass. No cameras, no center of attention, kids at the registers didn’t know him.

People that have actually met and talked with the man, paint a far different picture. I don't think this happened, to be honest.

In what way? I certainly don't see it that way after reviewing in my mind things that have happened from 1992 through now.

You might try actually reading my posts. I never said I didn't think Coach Fulmer wasn't a good choice for AD. I am though, not as confident as some that he will do a great job. I am not a blind loyalist. I will take a wait and see approach as to his performance as AD. I am a bit skeptical because he has no executive organizational experience

With the multiple segmented departments that are in place to support the football program, what executive organizational experience would be needed other than oversight of these departments in place?

You're not that informed, are you? There was no downward spiral in 1992. We had just won two out of the last 3 SEC titles.

Decade of Dominance??? You're as delusional about Fulmer has he is about himself.

That next decade wasn't too good, was it?

I don't think he was speaking of the next decade. Stay on point. You hat Fulmer for whatever made up reason and you're going to stick with it. Just be honest and say it. No need to hide it or continue to throw out straw men to cover.

I guess a lot of folks just got tired of going to all of those SEC Championship Games (5 in last 11 years, 2 in last 5, 1 out of last 2) and New Years' Day Bowl Games. I also remember many of those same miserable people saying, 10 wins in a season is just not that impressive anymore."

How many straight years without a SEC title?

Fulmer in the AD's role is far better than Fulmer on the sidelines. I think he'll do what he can to help get it back. He's still has a uphill battle with the powers that be. I think Phil knows exactly why it has struggled, the question is can he fix it. He needs people to get out of the way and let football drive the train like he said.

"I hear a lot of that talk. And, it's just that. BS talk. But, what of Kiffin, Dooley and Jones? Why don't they get all the hate talk about completely dismantling and running this program into the ground? Why? Fulmer brought us more than any other coach in my lifetime."

You don't think Kiffen, Dooley, and Jones got any hate talk!! Where have you been for the last 10 years, under a rock?

"I hear a lot of that talk. And, it's just that. BS talk. But, what of Kiffin, Dooley and Jones? Why don't they get all the hate talk about completely dismantling and running this program into the ground? Why? Fulmer brought us more than any other coach in my lifetime."

You don't think Kiffen, Dooley, and Jones got any hate talk!! Where have you been for the last 10 years, under a rock?

None of them get the ongoing and continuing threads dedicated to each for what they did. They were all complete losers and contributed absolutely nothing good to the program. But, there are those that hate/dislike Fulmer so much, for some trumped up reason, that Fulmer hate threads have become regular around hear.

Reactions: 2 people
After all the hullabaloo and rigamarole AD Fulmer had to put behind him before he could even consider putting his name and legacy on the line to step up and right the good ship Tennessee like he has so far, he well-deserves all the respect due him along with all the rest who were willing to do what's best for the program despite any personal misgivings they may have held over from the past. It takes being the best version of the person you are for him and all who did what's done to share in the same vision of excellence.

I'm proud of the way the Administration, donors, boosters, supporters, coaches, players, and yes, fans have unified to rally the Tennessee Vols in preparation for this great return to national relevance. United in the shared vision of planned championships won on purpose, each present moment of action invested working together to execute this plan in motion is a step closer to living in its realization. The championship trophy is homesick for Knoxville after our baby has been away for so long, but hang on, honey. It won't be long now. Believe this. Your daddy's back, he's clad in Tennessee orange, and he's already on the way to get you through hell and high water and bring you back home to the University of Tennessee still proud of you as the day you were born!

Last edited:

Fulmer was awesome 1992-1998, no question. But, his last 10 years,1999-2008, yielded only 3 Eastern Division titles, 2001, 2004, and 2007.

I certainly don’t hate him, but I look at his coaching career realistically. After going 5-7 in 2008, it was time for him to go.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back