Why all the Fulmer hate?

And the National championship in 1998.. .Some of you make me LMAO.

Career Record: 17 Years, 151-52-1, .743 Win% (at major schools)
Bowl Record: 15 Games, 8-7, .533 Win% (at major schools)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If you think a high scoring game won by the team that has the ball last is great football, go back to your video games.

If you don't like winning because your team prevents the other guys from putting up the greater number of points on the board, find another team and enjoy the "spectacle" - win or lose.

If you think defense has no point in disrupting offensive play, then try golf or curling - bob sledding if you want something a bit faster.
Hey listen. I have always believed good defense beats good offense. I also believe Coach of the Year finalist Lane Kiffin after studying Saban's every move for 3 years could turn Alabama's defense into a crying baby and love doing it.

Reactions: 1 person
Too bad he wont get to from our end.
That also goes for the other top scoring defenses in the SEC, #4 Georgia, #10 Auburn, #16 LSU, #24 Miss State, and #26 South Carolina. Instead of competing for an SEC Championship we will be mired in getting up there defensively with the other big boys which doesn't mean squat. They all have great defenses and satisfactory offenses which took years to build. Maybe in 5 years, we can say me, too.

Fulmer's "success?" Two SEC titles and two or three major bowl games in 16/17 years?

I think you forgot a little bit.

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Accomplishments and honors

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)
SEC Eastern Division (1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007)

IMO Fulmer weaseled his way into Majors job. Most folks don't bite the hand that feeds them, not so with Phil. He took advantage of Majors health issues, kinda like kicking a dog when he is down. Also without Cut he was nothing, take away Manning and he doesn't win near as much. I also don't like the underhanded way he handled the Bama NCAA deal, very sneaky and child like. I don't care about Bama, I just think if you have something to say or add be a man and be upfront with it. Don't hide behind the NCAA and tattletale in secret. And now he conveniently ends up AD and hires a DC when he could have hired a proven HC.

I think this has been shown to be not true by many in the know. Alas some people cling to what they want to believe even after getting the true facts. Another thing that Majors did before his surgery was that summer he went around on the Big Orange caravan and complained about how little he was being paid. UT was on a hiring freeze and he ended up making most of the boosters mad. Then he did what he did in coming back too early because he felt the team slipping away from him. He had a contract on his desk for months that he would not sign. Doug Dickey finally had enough and had the backing of the boosters to fire Coach Majors. How does that equal that Coach Fulmer stabbed him in the back. Because when asked to fill in the team played much better than when Majors took back control? After loosing multiple games, when Fulmer was given the job we ended up beating a pretty solid Virginia Tech team in the bowl that was favored to win. I guess that getting the team ready to play and playing well was stabbing Coach Majors in the back!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I think a lot of Fans want to live in the Past & Rekindle the good ole Days of 20 Years Ago. I am getting a very bad feeling Hiring Fulmer this was the Greatest Screw Up in our History- If he could not do his job adequately in the past & was Fired why should we give him a Promotion & Rehire him in the Future- The Job of Winning at Tennessee is much Tougher today than in 1998 but we now Expect a Fired Coach to Correct all the Athletic Departments Problems. The Coach has Zero previous Administration Experience & after being Fired by Tennessee Never worked again in a Coaching or Administrative Job- This will Not End Well- I Like Coach Pruitt but he is set up for failure.

Is it a promotion to get paid a quarter of what the person you hired is going to make?

I think this has been shown to be not true by many in the know. Alas some people cling to what they want to believe even after getting the true facts. Another thing that Majors did before his surgery was that summer he went around on the Big Orange caravan and complained about how little he was being paid. UT was on a hiring freeze and he ended up making most of the boosters mad. Then he did what he did in coming back too early because he felt the team slipping away from him. He had a contract on his desk for months that he would not sign. Doug Dickey finally had enough and had the backing of the boosters to fire Coach Majors. How does that equal that Coach Fulmer stabbed him in the back. Because when asked to fill in the team played much better than when Majors took back control? After loosing multiple games, when Fulmer was given the job we ended up beating a pretty solid Virginia Tech team in the bowl that was favored to win. I guess that getting the team ready to play and playing well was stabbing Coach Majors in the back!!!!!

it was Boston College. Besides that you're spot on.

That also goes for the other top scoring defenses in the SEC, #4 Georgia, #10 Auburn, #16 LSU, #24 Miss State, and #26 South Carolina. Instead of competing for an SEC Championship we will be mired in getting up there defensively with the other big boys which doesn't mean squat. They all have great defenses and satisfactory offenses which took years to build. Maybe in 5 years, we can say me, too.
This doesn't even consider we have dropped to 45 in our next recruiting class.

But doesn't our recruiting class implosion directly correlate to the Coaching search screw up? If we had moved sooner to fire Butch, and done an actual search and hire of a good coach early (like the rest of the schools in the country) we would have had more certainty and stability.

As it is, we are now seen as a cluster*$^% and a place to avoid. Since Fulmer had to come in last second and hire who he could, the new Coach hasn't had time to fill out a staff and spend time recruiting.

With everything that happened, the new earlier recruit signing period, and the late start we got, how did we not expect it to explode. This is why I have been saying this is a rebuild, just like when we fired Dooley.

But doesn't our recruiting class implosion directly correlate to the Coaching search screw up? If we had moved sooner to fire Butch, and done an actual search and hire of a good coach early (like the rest of the schools in the country) we would have had more certainty and stability.

As it is, we are now seen as a cluster*$^% and a place to avoid. Since Fulmer had to come in last second and hire who he could, the new Coach hasn't had time to fill out a staff and spend time recruiting.

With everything that happened, the new earlier recruit signing period, and the late start we got, how did we not expect it to explode. This is why I have been saying this is a rebuild, just like when we fired Dooley.

The change right now seems much more to do with Pruitt and his staff deciding that several of the commits don't fit their style of football; Mays is obviously an exception to that. I first thought why not keep the commits as a contingency, but if Pruitt can get the players he really wants, then there's a number problem.

Better to cut those he doesn't want now so that they have time to find an option than to leave them with little option at the last minute, and most are good enough for it not to be a problem now. It's a shame it happens, but that's one of the new facts of life in a "win at all cost" game. Recruits that don't work now could well mean Pruitt's job in a few years.

Ok, I have to ask. Where does all this deep seated actual hate and loathing of all things Phillip Fulmer come from?

Sincerely, I want to know, because I really don't get it. All he did was win for us. Sure he had 2 bad seasons out of 16. But even the 2005 season, we were competitive. While we should have done better (and did the next year) it's not the crap show that we saw this past season. The biggest affront I can find on this season is the loss to Vandy.

Opponent Result
UAB W*17–10**
at*No. 6*Florida L*7–16**
at*No. 4*LSU W*30–27*OT*
Ole Miss W*27–10**
No. 5*Georgia L*14–27**
at*No. 5*Alabama L*3–6***
South Carolina L*15–16**
at*No. 8*Notre Dame L*21–41**
Memphis W*20–16**
Vanderbilt L*24–28**
at*Kentucky W*28–7**

2008 could arguably be compared more to this past season, but even then, we didn't lose to Vandy and Kentucky in the same year. And by all accounts, the Wyoming game was thrown in protest by the players.

Opponent Result
at*UCLA L*24–27*OT*
UAB W*35–3**
No. 4*Florida L*6–30**
at*No. 15*Auburn L*12–14**
Northern Illinois W*13–9**
at*No. 10*Georgia L*14–26**
Mississippi State W*34–3**
No. 2*Alabama L*9–29**
at*South Carolina L*6–27**
Wyoming L*7–13**
at*Vanderbilt W*20–10**
Kentucky W*28–10**

So explain to me why a coach with these record and accomplishments is so reviled with such venom, please. I truly just don't get it.

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)

Awards
AFCA Coach of the Year (1998)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1998)
George Munger Award (1998)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (1998)
Sporting News College Football COY (1998)
SEC Coach of the Year (1998)

College Football Hall of Fame
Inducted in 2012

I don't hate the man. I just noticed the environment of the SEC with Urban dominating Fulmer every season they played, and Saban starting up at Bama. Couple that with the fact that recruiting HAD dropped off. His last three classes, aside from Eric Berry, were noticeably lacking in every measurable way compared to the classes Bama, Florida, LSU and even UGA were bringing in at the time. Then he couldn't beat Spurrier with a sorry SC team for a couple years in a row.

He didn't make the necessary coaching moves to stay competitive in recruiting and it showed up on the field. And the guys he did bring in were a disaster. It's that simple.

I'm not trying to downplay his legacy or what he accomplished at UT. And I know he loves this university and this football program and I like having him back as AD after initially not thinking he could handle the job last year. I don't know if he's a long term solution, but he will bring familiarity and stability and I'm grateful for that.

What hate?

You know, if the news talked about nothing but positive, good news, the bad news - the shootings - mass murder - crime - hate - and if they rid the children of these graphic video games Grand Theft Auto garbage - the world would start calming back down.

Feed positive - Talk positive - Positive mind set - Positive attitude

Delete Thread.

"I think the great welcome that Fulmer received shows a team, staff, and fan base that has united, and is going to win in recruiting, and on the field! It's great - to be - A Tennessee Vol"

and, there are a few haters out there, but, F*C* them

I don't hate the man. I just noticed the environment of the SEC with Urban dominating Fulmer every season they played, and Saban starting up at Bama. Couple that with the fact that recruiting HAD dropped off. His last three classes, aside from Eric Berry, were noticeably lacking in every measurable way compared to the classes Bama, Florida, LSU and even UGA were bringing in at the time. Then he couldn't beat Spurrier with a sorry SC team for a couple years in a row.

He didn't make the necessary coaching moves to stay competitive in recruiting and it showed up on the field. And the guys he did bring in were a disaster. It's that simple.

I'm not trying to downplay his legacy or what he accomplished at UT. And I know he loves this university and this football program and I like having him back as AD after initially not thinking he could handle the job last year. I don't know if he's a long term solution, but he will bring familiarity and stability and I'm grateful for that.

He never lost to USC/Spurrier at USC in back-to-back years.

Because Fulmer totally botched this coaching hire. How about today our recruiting class is ranked #46 by 247 Sports? It has dropped from #33, one spot ahead of Vandy, since the hire.

This is totally not a fair point against Fulmer or Pruitt.

If you don't think Pruitt was the right coach because of experience or where he's associated with etc, then ok. But, to say Fulmer did a wack job because of our recruiting ranking going down doesn't work for me.

Pruitt is recruiting the players he wants for his scheme. If he was forced to take the class to keep the rankings up and the players failed later then everyone would judge him negatively for this also.

Our rankings have the opportunity to come back up. Give him time.

His second to last class was #4, behind only Florida in the SEC.

Last edited:
I think you forgot a little bit.

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)

I didn't forget anything. Eastern Division titles are NOT SEC championships. Two titles in 16/17 years is not formidable obviously, although one could say PF was the King of minor bowl invitations, and 30+ of his wins were against UK and Vandy. So, opinions vary on PF as a HC. Hopefully he will be a success as AD.

So you are not going to give him the national championship in 98 huh. The only one any coach has won for us in how long. very biased, just another troll.

Last edited:
I didn't forget anything. Eastern Division titles are NOT SEC championships. Two titles in 16/17 years is not formidable obviously, although one could say PF was the King of minor bowl invitations, and 30+ of his wins were against UK and Vandy. So, opinions vary on PF as a HC. Hopefully he will be a success as AD.

You keep talking about 2 SEC championships, but never acknowledge his National championship, but you're not forgetting anything.

What Tennessee coach has done better since?

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah,,,

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)

I think there is a place in Vol history to honor and acknowledge PF his accomplishments which were huge. That said his last few years were an effort that failed. His hires were poor and his teams performed poorly. He had to be let go. There's no need to trash the guy.

He ran the program into the ground.

I have to disagree. He had a bad year in 2008. Kiffin, Dooley and Butch, powered by the Haslams, Hamilton, and Hart run it into the ground.

Fulmer never went winless in the SEC. He never lost 8 games. He never gave up the most rushing yards in school history. He never had a year without an NFL draft pick.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back