Retread University

Phil's old? Yeah, he's one year older than Saban, a lot of years younger than Bill Snyder, and in a helluva lot less demanding position.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm speaking as a Vol fan from the Millennial generation. My generation is tired of old white retreads making all of the decisions regarding coaching hires, coaching firings, financial decisions etc. We need a youth movement in all areas of our athletic administration from the BOT down to the waterboy on the team. We are a generation that is used to expressing our valuable opinions on social media and effecting change with those opinions. We do not like or appreciate top down, authoritative decision making from out of touch old white men when it has a huge effect on the world we live in. We as a generation understand the times better than those over age 45 and it is high time that we are given our due in the decision making on the Hill. Not only here but across this country in all areas of social, political, financial and religious areas of society. We are the future and we are a special generation who has arrived at just the right time to move this country and the world in a better direction based on our vision for the future.

I posted this in another thread. It's time to let the younger generation take the lead in this. We are Retread U with Fulmer and now possibly Miles. We need both an under forty coach and AD and administration for that matter. The future is now for the Millennial generation and we should be given the reins for the good of the school and athletic department.

Chompin at the bit, eh youngster?

I liked your first post, this one was surprisingly weak. The same argument could be made in reverse:

Old folks think the same old is all that works.

Before you Make assumptions, I’m not a millennial and older than most on this board. I watched faithfully during the Fulmer era. I also was aware of a bit more behind the scenes at that time so maybe that’s tainted me and who knows if it’s true or not. I understand why some people like Fulmer but maybe I value fresh and exciting over the same old UT cycle.

As for the Gruden comments — who said I thought Gruden was coming?

I was just stating a fact. When I was young, I thought I knew more about life than my parents. Now that I have kids, I see that they think they know more than I. Interestingly, I'm at that middle age stage where I know enough to know that I still have more to learn, lol! I'm sure once I tack on about 20 more years I'll be telling those whippersnappers to get off my lawn!

I didn't mention Gruden, so I guess that was directed to someone else.

Reactions: 1 person
Time has a way of fogging the memory.

Fulmer deserved to get fired but in fairness he also didn't get a chance to fix it. Plenty of legend coaches had bad stretches but some schools also rewarded by sticking with their guy thru downturn. Regardless don't think ANYONE can say the last 10 years would have been as bad had we stuck it out with Phil...not that he would have made it. Which gets back to non Vols Hamilton and Hart making bad HC decisions. Phil's got this.

Yeah, and look at what all had to happen in order to get to ATL. I guess we can overlook that.

Who cares what had to happen, we got there. I never hear other teams talk about apologizing for making it because other teams had to lose.

I'm speaking as a Vol fan from the Millennial generation. My generation is tired of old white retreads making all of the decisions regarding coaching hires, coaching firings, financial decisions etc. We need a youth movement in all areas of our athletic administration from the BOT down to the waterboy on the team. We are a generation that is used to expressing our valuable opinions on social media and effecting change with those opinions. We do not like or appreciate top down, authoritative decision making from out of touch old white men when it has a huge effect on the world we live in. We as a generation understand the times better than those over age 45 and it is high time that we are given our due in the decision making on the Hill. Not only here but across this country in all areas of social, political, financial and religious areas of society. We are the future and we are a special generation who has arrived at just the right time to move this country and the world in a better direction based on our vision for the future.

I posted this in another thread. It's time to let the younger generation take the lead in this. We are Retread U with Fulmer and now possibly Miles. We need both an under forty coach and AD and administration for that matter. The future is now for the Millennial generation and we should be given the reins for the good of the school and athletic department.

I am 52 and personally feel that hiring Miles would be mindless and irresponsible. That said, your post above is frighteningly, unfathomably mindless, nitwitted, and just generally devoid of intelligent, rational thought or knowledge.

Pure male bovine feces! Micromanagement was not a problem. The problem was that the power money (spelled H A S L A M) would not pony up control of the assistants and coordinators. The micromanagement charge is misplaced.

So is the idea that Fulmer was sabotaged. Actually it's pathetically funny that some people still refuse to place blame squarely where it sits. Even Fulmer himself, won't acknowledge the slide that started at the 2001 SECCG

To say that all leadership & staff should be turned over to younger people is silly, just as it is silly to only have the old white guys around. Organizations work best when you have a diverse group of people, all bringing ideas to the table, and (to quote Fulmer) nobody cares who takes the credit. Some bring wisdom & experience, some bring fresh ideas. The best mix is a little bit of both.

Hiring Rick Barnes worked pretty well so far. And whatever you think you know about Fulmer is a lie, he's a very good man that truly loves UT.

Hiring Rick Barnes worked pretty well so far. And whatever you think you know about Fulmer is a lie, he's a very good man that truly loves UT.

I have zero doubt that Phil loves the big orange. I've been watching and cheering since I was born a few decades ago, and sadly my take is that Phil won't hire the best coach available. He'll hire someone he likes personally. I'm also very concerned about his hiring for other sports. It's likely holly is going to need to hit the road this year, but I don't think he'll do it. Hope I'm surprised on all fronts, but I don't see the great pumpkin swallowing his pride even for a second to get us the best coach.

Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

It feels like Retread University.
I understand what you’re saying. I really do and you make a lot of sense. But wouldn’t you want what we had here 15 years ago instead of what we have now? Les is a proven guy and will be the stabilizer before the real guy (Tee) is put into place. Pretty sure Chavis will be back too. And at this point that may be our best plan. Get some people who love this place the way we do. And they are by no means incompetent. Settle everything down. And if Tee is involved at all then you can bet it’s with a concrete plan to make him the HC in some matter of time. I’m good with it.

I'm going to use a medical analogy here. If you look at the most successful hospital systems in the country, you'll find they have hired physicians as CEOs, rather than MBAs or accountants or lawyers.

Why is that? The most likely reason is that a physician has worked within a hospital system, delivering care to patients, working next to others involved in healthcare delivery. In short, the physician "gets it."

This is what we're getting by having someone like Fulmer at the helm, rather than Currie or Hart or Hamilton. Fulmer has coached, knows what it takes to win, and knows how to relate to those involved in coaching athletes.

He's not here to coach anymore, as he plainly said, so the fact that he was fired on the tail end of a Hall of Fame career isn't really pertinent. Nor is the fact that he's not coached since. He still has that experience, which should serve him well in his new role.

Does he have certain political allegiances within the university? No doubt, but who doesn't. Currie was clearly Haslam's lackey, and we see where that got us.

I'm going to give Fulmer a chance, and I'm betting we won't be disappointed.

Much like Bowden Wyatt who was made interum AD. During his short stint he changed the face of UT sports. We had only ever been a football school.

He hired Ray Mears, backed him, and brought Tennessee Basketball out of it's dark ages.

He hired and supported Chuck Rohe who finished his coaching with a record of 87-10 (.896) with 15 consecutive SEC titles.

Bowden's issues with the bottle caught up with his health and he went down fast. We'll never know if he could have been a better coach.

But, as a coach, operating as an interim AD, he changed UT sports forever. And though he stuck with the single wing, forcing Johnson City's Heisman winner Steve Spurrier to Florida, his enthusiasm for all sports helped UT become "Wideout U" with so many two sport athletes coming over to football from track. And it wasn't just receivers either.

Former Tennessee Two-Sport Athletes
Drafted into the NFL

Reggie Cobb - Tampa Bay
Harlan Davis - Seattle
Richmond Flowers - Dallas
Willie Gault - Chicago*
Sam Gaddy - Denver
Anthony Hancock - Kansas City*
Alvin Harper - Dallas*
Jeremy Lincoln - Chicago
Terry McDaniel - Los Angeles*
Anthony Miller - San Diego"
Mike Miller - Green Bay
Anthony Morgan - Chicago
Stanley Morgan - New England*
Tom Myslinski - Dallas
Carl Pickens - Cincinnati

Rohe Track Era

Coach Doug Dickey left UT for Florida, came back as AD and ran UT sports through the VOLS natty and part of Pat Summit's phenominal run.

Coach Bill Battle served Alabama as their AD for several yesrs, retiring just last year.

So yeah, given a choice, I'd much rather a past coach be AD than some pinched face bean counter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I understand what you’re saying. I really do and you make a lot of sense. But wouldn’t you want what we had here 15 years ago instead of what we have now? Les is a proven guy and will be the stabilizer before the real guy (Tee) is put into place. Pretty sure Chavis will be back too. And at this point that may be our best plan. Get some people who love this place the way we do. And they are by no means incompetent. Settle everything down. And if Tee is involved at all then you can bet it’s with a concrete plan to make him the HC in some matter of time. I’m good with it.

Alright this is fair. Maybe we’re not at a place where exciting is possible. We’re at a place of finding some semblance of stability (which I think will be a bit of mediocrity for a while) but then that stability may bring the framework for great coaches in the future. I get this argument - don’t like it - but I get it.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

Yes. All of this.

Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

First of all, those usually doing the firing anywhere are knuckleheads. So being fired alone is not a reason to immediately think negative.

Retread?? OK. But many cases, the things that work just work. It is ok to do things that work. Anything else is usually a gamble. Saban is 66. Fulmer is 67. If age is a negative, then can Saban.

We really do not care what excites you. The greatest era in UT history excited and excites everyone. The recent era was a travesty.

Just take your corn hole game and go to someone else's tailgate. See ya!!

Reactions: 3 people

There's no guarantee if the team has success that Tee will not be made an offer somewhere else too good to turn down.That's just how the real world works. Don't think he (or anyone-anywhere) is obligated to turn down great opportunities for some false sense of loyalty. It UT wants to keep anybody they'll have to pony up the $$$ or lose. Expect it.

So is the idea that Fulmer was sabotaged. Actually it's pathetically funny that some people still refuse to place blame squarely where it sits. Even Fulmer himself, won't acknowledge the slide that started at the 2001 SECCG

That "slide" is as good or better then any era in school history...except for the once in a program success that was the 90's. Blame? The blame is Hamilton. First Schumaker. Blame the guy that gave you the most success ever? Nope.

In the 2000's, they played in 3 SECCG's in 8 years. They had more All Americans then any other decade. More draft picks then most schools. They produced more future NFL Hall of Famers then this school had previously. Averaging about 9 wins per year in many years that had an 11 game schedule. Went against Florida and Alabama and LSU that was having as much or more success then they ever did. Not to mention Auburn. Tennessee is not in the same league as those programs. Only the 90's would be the exception. Get in where you fit in as a program. It is not at the top. Never has and with the exception of Fulmer, never will again.

VN Store

Back