Retread University

I still don’t understand the logic behind giving complete control of the program to the same guy that was fired a decade earlier. Should’ve hired Blackburn, then brought Phil in as a special advisor. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Blackburn is going through personal issues.

Thank you OP. I was worried I was alone in this thought. All my friends were amped and I was completely bummed.
We went from Leach having an MOU sent to UT to Fulmer getting the band back together on his revenge tour.
Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

It feels like Retread University.

Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

Welcome to Tennessee, we do things backassward here:)

Reactions: 1 person

Lol

He had a big ego, micromanaged things while he was here. Didn't hire the best assistants that he could because of it. If he does the same thing as AD it won't go over well.

Pure male bovine feces! Micromanagement was not a problem. The problem was that the power money (spelled H A S L A M) would not pony up control of the assistants and coordinators. The micromanagement charge is misplaced.

Reactions: 3 people

Gruden was never Ever NEVER COMING HERE!

GROW THE EFF UUUUUUUP!

GROW THE EFF UUUUUUUP!

You should probably take your own advice.

Reactions: 2 people
Hiring Fulmer for A.D. is like moving in with your mother after your house burned down or going through a bitter divorce. You want somewhere safe to hide and be taken of until things settle down. That's why it's back to the good old days when times where happier. Welcome back to 1998.

God I hope so.

Pure male bovine feces! Micromanagement was not a problem. The problem was that the power money (spelled H A S L A M) would not pony up control of the assistants and coordinators. The micromanagement charge is misplaced.

If it's structured that way then never expect a really good coach to come here. They won't if someone has their thumb on it to that extent. Best we can hope for is a good assistant that they can micromanage. Sets them up for failure or less than diserable results.

I think, in this case, Tennessee is trying to add to their legacy by simply getting the band back together when they would be much better served looking for the next big sound.

That would make sense. Can't have that at UT.

Retreads and washed out coaches is what we do here.

1st of all some of the better ADs were guys in sports X coaches not button up businessmen who just trying to make money.

2nd of all LSU looked real good playing miss st and the mighty Trojans of troy without Les.

I'm going to use a medical analogy here. If you look at the most successful hospital systems in the country, you'll find they have hired physicians as CEOs, rather than MBAs or accountants or lawyers.

Why is that? The most likely reason is that a physician has worked within a hospital system, delivering care to patients, working next to others involved in healthcare delivery. In short, the physician "gets it."

This is what we're getting by having someone like Fulmer at the helm, rather than Currie or Hart or Hamilton. Fulmer has coached, knows what it takes to win, and knows how to relate to those involved in coaching athletes.

He's not here to coach anymore, as he plainly said, so the fact that he was fired on the tail end of a Hall of Fame career isn't really pertinent. Nor is the fact that he's not coached since. He still has that experience, which should serve him well in his new role.

Does he have certain political allegiances within the university? No doubt, but who doesn't. Currie was clearly Haslam's lackey, and we see where that got us.

I'm going to give Fulmer a chance, and I'm betting we won't be disappointed.

Reactions: 4 people
Rarely does a team build on the glory days by trying to recreate it. Alabama spent decades hitting their head against that wall.

I think, in this case, Tennessee is trying to add to their legacy by simply getting the band back together when they would be much better served looking for the next big sound.

People around here friggin amaze me. Look Bama fan your past situation isn't like our situation, so butt out!

Our coaching staff isn't our main problem. We have major upper management issues behind the scenes. We have friggin idiots making the major decisions.

This has been going on since we decided to go for a business minded AD instead of one that has football savy.

I have zero faith that Fullmer will hire a coach that takes us back to 10 wins per year, but I do believe he can say no to the money men when they try to meddle in football affairs.

We need stability to change the perception of our program before we can begin to climb out of the hole were in.

Nobody wants this job because of the crap that goes on behind the scenes not because our program can't be successful.

Reactions: 2 people

So tell me exactly how fresh Currie, Butch and Dooley worked out for ya

I'm going to use a medical analogy here. If you look at the most successful hospital systems in the country, you'll find they have hired physicians as CEOs, rather than MBAs or accountants or lawyers.

Why is that? The most likely reason is that a physician has worked within a hospital system, delivering care to patients, working next to others involved in healthcare delivery. In short, the physician "gets it."

This is what we're getting by having someone like Fulmer at the helm, rather than Currie or Hart or Hamilton. Fulmer has coached, knows what it takes to win, and knows how to relate to those involved in coaching athletes.

He's not here to coach anymore, as he plainly said, so the fact that he was fired on the tail end of a Hall of Fame career isn't really pertinent. Nor is the fact that he's not coached since. He still has that experience, which should serve him well in his new role.

Does he have certain political allegiances within the university? No doubt, but who doesn't. Currie was clearly Haslam's lackey, and we see where that got us.

I'm going to give Fulmer a chance, and I'm betting we won't be disappointed.

I have no issue with having a coach fill that spot. But not the coach that got fired and was the cause of the program going off the rails from the get go.

Fulmer broke it and then is expected to fix it.

Miami might have lost yesterday but I bet they’re happy with their retread. And Les Miles is a lot better than Mark Richt.

Heh.

Fulmer, old? Absolutely. Stale? Not for a minute.

Dunno if you watched the press conference Friday, but the aura of command about Phil was palpable. He is a unifying force, a reassuring presence, and a catalyst toward championships.

His character has always been noted for selflessness. That should continue. Your fears of a "power run" are baseless.

It is true that he hasn't been directly involved in leading a football program in a decade. That is hardly pertinent, since he is not being asked to lead one now. He is the AD, not the coach.

I certainly hope Les Miles is not the best we can do in this search (no dig on Les, he's a very good coach, I just have my sights set a bit higher). But I trust Phil implicitly to do what's best for Tennessee. He will find us the best coach current circumstances will allow.

I agree with some of this. Fulmer is loyal to a tee (no pun intended) and loves this university, but he can also be stubborn as hell and that loyalty contributed to his firing in 08.

I also agree that Les isn't the best choice to be the HC and there are at least three or four other coaches that should be approached before even talking to Les.

I think he needs to make a hardcore run at Petersen. Ask him what it would take for him to leave the left coast and if he says yes and his demands aren't outrageous, then hire him. Petersen can flat out coach and could get us back to the glory days.

If Petersen, Leach, Frost and yes Kiffin say no, then enter into talks with Les and if Les wants to be the HC at Tennessee, then as part of the deal, he has to be willing to bring Tee on as the OC/QB coach and let Tee build the offensive side of the coaching staff and then hopefully Tee is smart enough to retain Gillespie and bring Sam Pittman back.

Les could then hire his DC and the rest of the defensive staff since defense was never really the problem at LSU.

Les Miles biggest problem is that he was directly compared with Nick Saban. A losing proposition for anyone.

Miles isn’t the top of my list but I would not be disappointed. I like him better than Mullen, Sumlin, Schiano, Doeren etc

And a big benefit of his hire vs Brohm (who might be a better coach) is that he brings instant credibility to a program whose credibility had taken a massive hit over the years, culminating over the past week.

I have no issue with having a coach fill that spot. But not the coach that got fired and was the cause of the program going off the rails from the get go.

Fulmer broke it and then is expected to fix it.

It's debatable that he "broke it." His successor did far more damage to the program.

You should probably take your own advice.

What? That whole wet hot dog pile has gone on far too long. Are you saying we who've always known better should not be upset that half of the dumpster fire the nation sees here is because of the stupid Gruden schtick? Buncha idjits.

Grow up your own self!

VN Store

Back