• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Retread University

VolByBirth

Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

It feels like Retread University.

Reactions: 53 people
Maybe Phil loves this university and hates seeing what's it's become.

Maybe he feels like he knows how to fix it and wants the opportunity to do so.

I don't know if he's capable, but I do feel like he has the school's best interests at heart and will give his all to help.

Reactions: 23 people
I still don’t understand the logic behind giving complete control of the program to the same guy that was fired a decade earlier. Should’ve hired Blackburn, then brought Phil in as a special advisor. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29 people
I understand what you are saying but look at how the hiring of personnel who’s blood doesn’t run orange in the past 9 years has turned out

Let’s back up, get on the right track, then move forward

Reactions: 14 people

I don't know if he's capable, but I do feel like he has the school's best interests at heart and will give his all to help.

Hopefully not by hiring Les.

Reactions: 7 people
Heh.

Fulmer, old? Absolutely. Stale? Not for a minute.

Dunno if you watched the press conference Friday, but the aura of command about Phil was palpable. He is a unifying force, a reassuring presence, and a catalyst toward championships.

His character has always been noted for selflessness. That should continue. Your fears of a "power run" are baseless.

It is true that he hasn't been directly involved in leading a football program in a decade. That is hardly pertinent, since he is not being asked to lead one now. He is the AD, not the coach.

I certainly hope Les Miles is not the best we can do in this search (no dig on Les, he's a very good coach, I just have my sights set a bit higher). But I trust Phil implicitly to do what's best for Tennessee. He will find us the best coach current circumstances will allow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30 people
I like this move, I think Phil will have the best interest in the university in mind and not just big donors. I also feel there is a lot going on that we are not seeing just by the actions of Davenport during the PC she looked very shaken like she has either screwed her career here or just made the best move ever.

Reactions: 10 people
Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

Gruden's not out, he was never in. It's fantasy to think we were close to getting him.

Reactions: 18 people
Hopefully not by hiring Les.

Miles might be a solid fit under the current circumstances. He's not a long term solution. Can't see him here more than 3-5 at the most. Big question will be what kind of staff can he put together. I can see him and Fulmer working well together. I'm expecting it to go down this way.

Reactions: 8 people
There are internal problems. Probably some good and bad with hiring Fulmer. We've had 3 AD's in a row that were in the Hamilton mold. The fact Phil is the exact opposite gives me some hope they do the right thing this time..It is Phil though and it's well known he had a big ego. Hope it doesn't get in the way of him doing his job..

Reactions: 6 people

You got sources ten years old and are just now telling us!!!! Wtf!!! Dude..... Let the man do something before you start *****in like everyone else. Damn

Reactions: 10 people
I’m still amazed at the amount of hate for Phil. He played here, coached here, and came back to help even after he was treated like crap on his way out.

Reactions: 22 people
People would have said Jimbo would have been a home run and if you look at the last few years Les has had about the same record (in the SEC West)... He didn't go 5-6 in the ACC either. I don't think anything could make some of you happy.

Reactions: 17 people
I’m still amazed at the amount of hate for Phil. He played here, coached here, and came back to help even after he was treated like crap on his way out.

I am too. Truth is it’s impossible to make everyone happy but we have to have hope and know that things are WAAAY better than they were this time last week

Reactions: 3 people
I respectfully disagree.

I am unsure if Fulmer went unhired or if he decided to step away from coaching and collect his paycheck, spend time with family, and enjoy life for a while. Being a head coach of a major program basically means you are never home and always working. I can't prove or disprove this.

I am sure a little part of this is about power for him. He felt wronged, and to some degree maybe he was. Look at his record. Look at what he did for the football program. Two losing season and all that glory. I'm not arguing that he should have been kept around, but I can see how HE felt wronged.

I also fully believe he wants what is best for UT football. I think his wisdom is needed to unify the fan base by bringing in some experience and Tennessee blood, while (hopefully) hiring a coach who can win at a high level.

Having been a fan since the Majors day, I really respect Fulmer and loved him as a coach. I am excited to see him move to AD and hope he take his coaching experience, recruiting experience, and his wisdom learned from being a hall of fame coach and national champion, as well as his experience of failing two seasons and being fired, and uses that to make the tough decisions ahead.

Hopefully he can recruit a coach like he could recruit stud players in the 90's.

As far as Les Miles, I'm on the fence. I could argue how well he recruits, how many NFL guys he produced, how many games he's won over the years. I can also argue, much like Fulmer's later years, how things fell apart rapidly at the end.

Part of me thinks Miles might fit here. He's quirky. We as a fan base are too. Sometimes a fresh start sparks new life in certain people. Sometimes not.

Another part of me wants an up and comer, but then I'm reminded of Kiffen, Dooley, and Butch.

The one thing that give me faith in Fulmer is this. His reputation was tarnished when fired. His accomplishments and dedication to UT speak for themselves. I think he will do all he can to knock this hire out of the park to change his reputation. If that is his motivation, then he will likely succeed. If it's something else, then he will likely fail.

Lot's of folks are screaming for Tee. He's not impressed me to a point I'd hire him as a head coach, but I would take him as an OC under an older guy like Miles.

Lets hope we can get a solid coach (big name or not) and we can all come together in support and win some dang ball games.

Reactions: 4 people
There are internal problems. Probably some good and bad with hiring Fulmer. We've had 3 AD's in a row that were in the Hamilton mold. The fact Phil is the exact opposite gives me some hope they do the right thing this time..It is Phil though and it's well known he had a big ego. Hope it doesn't get in the way of him doing his job..

Well known ego,

Links?

Reactions: 3 people

How old are you?:)
Again?:thud:

Reactions: 1 person

Think the same. But thinking optimistically, he won a Natty here as a HFC. Surely he wants to see the program get back to being contenders ego aside. Well all know sooner then later where he stands though. Peyton too and Bev

Reactions: 1 person

Fulmer is the one that got us in this situation. He was the coach that could have turned it around a decade ago. But now we are supposed to believe he can pull it off now?

There’s a reason nobody has talked to Miles

I still don’t understand the logic behind giving complete control of the program to the same guy that was fired a decade earlier. Should’ve hired Blackburn, then brought Phil in as a special advisor. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

When was Fulmer our AD?

VN Store

Back