Recruiting Forum Football Talk XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the fundamental problem with the Tennessee job – and a strong reason why athletic director John Currie was queasy about firing Jones until it became obvious he had to – is that Florida is set to dictate the market. The rest of the SEC – Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Ole Miss – can line up behind the Gators in their upcoming searches.

Tennessee has been a second-tier program essentially since the decline of Phil Fulmer in the mid-2000s. The emergence of Alabama as the SEC’s alpha dog, the SEC West’s push to dominance and losing 12 of 13 to Florida on the field have solidified Tennessee into SEC also-ran status.
To figure out who Tennessee will hire, it’s necessary to start by peeking at how Scott Stricklin’s first major search as Florida’s athletic director is going.

From Yahoo article. Ouch.

Thamel's article is silly. If UF wants Kelly and gets him, it has no bearing on our search, because he's probably not even a candidate for us.

Just lazy writing on a hot topic of the day. Taking a widely held assumption/belief and writing an article about that assumption. No reporting. No real research. No sources.

Just "Florida is a better job than Tennessee, so they'll get a good coach and Tennessee will get a crappy one."

Reactions: 4 people
Hey Fellas, what's goi...

joaquin-phoenix-shock-signs.gif

Ok,

1. Smile: He knew Gruden questions were coming. He knows this fanbase is in a fever pitch to hire Gruden, and this was a simple, "I saw this coming" smile.

2. Jennings IG: Pretty clear to me, "Butch was holding me back."

3. Gruden:
358619-200.png

4. Pete Thammel: May have info, but lacks basic facts in his story. Cites terrible offense for a decade. Dude... Some of Dooley's team scored points... especially the last one. Tennessee had a record setting year LAST SEASON. This year does not define a decade.

5. We won't, but:
image.gif

Reactions: 5 people
An observation or three:

Eschewing a search committee or search firm is a pretty bold move. Inserting others into the process gives an AD a degree of shielding. Without one, it's 100% Currie's decision.

So he's clearly a very confident person. That's the first observation.

But he also has to believe he can come up with a new coach the community will applaud. Because, self-confident or not, his destiny is attached at the hip to this hire and that's a big rock in the ruck sack.

So he's got at least one big name already in his pocket. Bigger than Mullen, I'd say, bigger than Frost. If not JG, at least a Patterson level option. Proven winner who has already said he wants to come to Tennessee.

And that's comforting to know. Not as comforting as Currie walking into a press conference tomorrow to say the words Jon F'ing Gruden, but still comforting.

Post from the Gruden thread that I thought had some good points.

Reactions: 2 people
Hell we just need to go Hire Rex Ryan of Gruden says no. We need someone with the " I ain't scared of none of you mother F*^+€] I'm coming to kick your azz"

Would be a tremendous feat if we were able to pull that off, but Currie the kind if guy who could lace up his shoes and do the necessary legwork to get it done.

Ryan is the kind of guy who won't be afraid to step on toes in the SEC. Who cares who Flordia hires? Rex will take his size 13s and kick every ass in this league. He will bring this conference to heel.

And that Thamel guy will surely have to put his foot in his mouth.

Last edited:
AtlantaVol hasnt been on since the Thurs or Fri before Homecoming game. He said that if he was told to be quiet, when that time came he would be, or something to that effect. He has been logged on since then but hasnt said a word.

Also, BaldBiker is still missing. Id give anything to know what they know.

Peepaw could be the key here.😁

I definitely want to know what has happened to Baldy.

Reactions: 1 person
Would be a tremendous feat if we were able to pull that off, but Currie the kind if guy who could lace up his shoes and do the necessary legwork to get it done.

Ryan is the kind of guy who won't be afraid to step on toes in the SEC. Who cares who Flordia hires? Rex will take his size 13s and kick every ass in this league. He will bring this conference to heel.

And that Thamel guy will surely have to put his foot in his mouth.

I see what you did there.

I hate search firms

It’s basically the AD admitting incompetence at his job. Use them to vet your candidates, but don’t ask them to bring you names and sell you on them

I’ve never understood why they use them. That is literally they’re main job responsibility to hire a coach but the sub it out lol.

Well to stay with negative posts. Pete knows Currie very well. Would be very disappointed if any is true.

Florida and Tennessee jobs are open; here are the top candidates

So who is realistic at Tennessee? Anyone who mentions Jon Gruden in any capacity should be charged with journalistic negligence. The best window into how Currie thinks may be to study his last major search at Kansas State. Currie hired Bruce Weber, a generally successful and solid X’s-and-O’s coach who’d been fired at Illinois.
Weber wasn’t a splashy hire, but Currie wanted a coach who wouldn’t be overmatched or intimidated looking down the sideline at veteran coaches like Bob Huggins, Bill Self or Rick Barnes. Who fits the category of not being afraid to stare down Nick Saban? Well, it’s a short list. Let’s start by crossing off Iowa State’s Matt Campbell ($9 million) and Virginia Tech’s Justin Fuente ($6 million) because of the size of their buyouts. Neither appear eager to leave, either.
The first grouping that should be considered are veteran, successful coaches that fit the mold of Weber. TCU’s Gary Patterson, Utah’s Kyle Whittingham and Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano all have enough experience. All would need a detailed offensive plan, as none bring expertise on that side of the ball. Washington State’s Mike Leach falls into this category as well, but would the straight-laced Currie welcome the relentless quirkiness of Leach? That feels like an unlikely pairing.
As for sound younger coaches, Purdue’s Jeff Brohm and Memphis’ Mike Norvell would be the best fits. Brohm’s buyout is $4 million after Dec. 5 and he has the offensive acumen that’s been desperately missing in Knoxville for the past decade. Norvell has Memphis on track for the AAC title game, and his wide-open offense would be a salve to the dreary units Tennessee has trotted out in recent years.
As has been proven on the field for the past decade, Florida is well ahead of Tennessee. And in their

We are hiring someone better than Brohm or Norvell. Good grief this is dumb

“(Playing Alabama in a crossover game every year hurts the perception of this job nationally).”

From the Yahoo article. I’ve been preaching this for weeks when people ask me about the Tennessee job and why we’ve been done for so long. It has less to do with Florida and everything to do with that Bama game. Have to beat them twice to win a title.

If our search ends as Thamel predicts, I’m out.

Florida 247 site said no credible sources of theirs has been able to verify Kelly is a real candidate let alone a done deal. They aren't really sure why it's taking off so much with their fan base because nobody beyond some college kid and their version of tony basilio said something about asources.

So they aren't buying it at the moment.

I hate search firms

It’s basically the AD admitting incompetence at his job. Use them to vet your candidates, but don’t ask them to bring you names and sell you on them

Pretty sure it's how Memphis got Fuente and Norvell. They use one out of Plano, Texas.

I’ve never understood why they use them. That is literally they’re main job responsibility to hire a coach but the sub it out lol.

Probably overwhelming for one individual to search the entire country for one guy. More of a special assistant helping along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back