Official Jon Gruden Thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave now and the investigation fizzles out or find him officially with no knowledge..find a new scapegoat...Wells

I just don't see how the optics of all this play out well in coaching circles for this University.

The optics of all of this is horrid. This entire program looks like a dumpster fire, toxic is a good word.

I hope Gruden is a real thing, because if it isn't we will be starting at zero again and this once proud program will spend another 10 years in purgatory.

Reactions: 1 person
That's a great analysis IMO. The real question is what is the key driver behind needing to negotiate the BATNA. Logic presumes he would be able to cut ties with Butch immediately without recourse. For some reason, unbeknownst to us, that isn't necessarily the best option for him. And it's truly baffling why that's the case.

The opportunity cost of letting Butch go is still less than the opportunity cost of firing him immediately.

But why?
(Note: speculation follows): Potentially something tied up in the renegotiated contract that relieves Butch of his duties at the end of the year. We won't get access to that, but since Sexton was his agent during the renegotiations (presumed to be post-Georgia), there could be a clause that if Butch is fired prior to the end of the season, he is owed the full buyout and there may be limited termination for cause language. However, I don't think it has to do with money. Duck mentioned earlier in the day it wasn't about money.

And note that Currie is essentially a puppet, so I'm not necessarily talking about him, but in who is pulling his strings most vigorously. My assumption is Haslam (who was influential in Currie being hired and is indebted to him), but I do not have factual evidence to back that up. Boosters are in line and will pay the buyout, as well as provide funding for the new coach.

We've heard that it's a different group of boosters leading the charge this time around. The situation is about leverage, and maybe this is Haslam's attempt to rectify the coup, so to speak. Currie may very well want to terminate Butch immediately, but is unable to without Haslam's approval. This move pits the Haslams up against the rest of the boosters in an ultimate pissing contest for control - at the expense of the players' health and Currie's best wishes and logical thinking.

Ultimately, there's something very interesting going on behind the scenes that would force Currie to have to weigh options that logically aren't economically equivalent.

tl;dr: Great post, I concur.

My simple guess is money to pay the buyout. My theory says Boosters have only agreed to pay buyout for a specific deal and Currie was lobbying for time to make a counter offer of his own.

Reactions: Weezer and VFLnSFD
If Butch is in a vindictive state of mind, he may not care. I only cursory saw posts about him burning red shirts. If that is true he may be past playing long games.

I think he was asked if he’d play McBride if G’s helmet came off and he replied something like that McBride would be ready and in if needed...

I think he was asked if he’d play McBride if G’s helmet came off and he replied something like that McBride would be ready and in if needed...

Yes, specifically he was asked if that scenario were to come up, would he burn McBride's redshirt and put him in for the 1 play.

It's one thing to say what he said in response to a generic question about burning redshirts if needed, but when we're talking about 1 play, and we've got wildcat plays in the playbook, I find it troubling that we'd be willing to mortgage his (and our) future like that on any given 2nd and 7.

My simple guess is money to pay the buyout. My theory says Boosters have only agreed to pay buyout for a specific deal and Currie was lobbying for time to make a counter offer of his own.

If Currie (+ influencer) was lobbying for more time for his counteroffer, he would have to account for the loss of funding for the academic side. Based on the scope of the academic $ rumored to be in play as part of the original deal, an alternative deal seems implausible, but not completely unlikely with the right backing. Especially if there are players who don't take kindly to the loss of control (ie Haslam) who are scrambling to put something together that can come close.

Reactions: 2 people
Currie just lobbied and was granted approval to retain a coach that was potentially involved in endangering a player. His interest in retaining said coach (prior to the BK issue) was a stall for time to flesh out his BATNA.

In those efforts he spent two days campaigning his message to support our players to quiet vitriol for the decision.

This was all prior to BK's news being broken and making his stump speeches sound hollow.

Antone Davis has also resigned amidst all of this, and appears to have had broad support from players and parents. That may have been coincidental but it raises further questions on the player treatment and culture Currie has just campaigned for.

This puts pressure on Currie to expedite his timeline and oust Butch sooner or face negative PR from inaction and acceptance.

Ousting Butch now would cost more money that Currie would need to raise, or force him to face an onslaught of negative press as a new AD. I believe that is actually the pressure he was trying to avoid when he made these moves that backfired.

Both factors diminish Curries ability to negotiate a BATNA that supersedes the one already presented. They also exacerbate Curries need for cash that Boosters have threatened to withhold.

Currie's opportunity cost to stall for more time have essentially gone to zero unless he wants to ruin his career trying.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 people
The Comb is one of my favorite posters on VN. Insiders are around, it has been a very interesting past 2 days. The Kendrick’s issue is a big deal (both in the health of that kid and on the implications it has on Butch).

For the game theory nerds, whoever can correctly summarize the implications this has on Currie and the boosters will win a a couple free scotch drinks on me at a home game next year.

I am 20 pages behind so I am sure someone says this too, but.. i will have to answer this from the way I hear things.

AD is pro Butch and is secretly still hoping he keeps him. Donor “x” is very much behind Ad and is known to controll things, so these two could have kind of been a large speed bump. Their prior actions could have actually been inhibiting some other big donors from joining in (my opinion). What this concussion issue may do is to force AD’s hand. Now buyout may be reduced needing less input from donor “x” which could lead to the big group of boosters to slide in main bargaining position while also being able to point out the poor decision making that led to this concussion issue.

If a QB is needed for just 1 or 2 plays in a game and CBJ Burns the red shirt of Mcbride it just shows he is out to destroy everything he can before he is fired. There is no reason Janzek could not be put in for a snap for helmet infraction, or for UT to run the Wildcat option for one play. We have more QB's at UT that a redshirt isnt trying to be saved.

i still believe. So Grude right now. Y'al don't even know how Grude I am right now. Go big or go Grude. I'm in it to Grude it. Grude days are among us. I feel it in my Grudes.

Hey nega nelly, back in the RF you were making disparaging remarks about the good people in this thread. In fact you said you would not venture back in here. So why don't you do us all a favor and honor your word. Or is there no honor in what you say.
th

Leave now and never come back.

Laying the smack down

Reactions: 2 people
MIT tell us who is the damn problem at the university- it's time we knew names and call them out. Is Currie one of them? Davenport who doesn't know which UT to tag in her tweet? Haslam? What does President Joe even do? I wish we could clean house from top to bottom. The fans and alumni are sick of it.

What do you think my plane comments were in reference to? The boosters have the pressure dial set to a 2/10 right now and they have MANY levers to pull to increase it to unbearable levels.

Reactions: 7 people
What do you think my plane comments were in reference to? The boosters have the pressure dial set to a 2/10 right now and they have MANY levers to pull to increase it to unbearable levels.

So the question is why don’t the boosters turn it up? Or when do you expect them to?

Lots of people can see that plane - and many stakeholders will be there...maybe I’m dense or sleepy and not thinking clearly but this puzzles me.

The Comb is one of my favorite posters on VN. Insiders are around, it has been a very interesting past 2 days. The Kendrick’s issue is a big deal (both in the health of that kid and on the implications it has on Butch).

For the game theory nerds, whoever can correctly summarize the implications this has on Currie and the boosters will win a a couple free scotch drinks on me at a home game next year.

I already figured that out awhile back. If the concussion story is true, or truly happened, Currie has been at least informed about it. Basing this off the fact he's publicly acknowledged the situation.

But first let's look at Butch. Butch hasn't done anything about the coach who was made aware by Kendrick during the game, which from all indications was the second quarter. So let's assume Butch just happened to not be informed during the game by this coach, ok I can accept that if I'm made too. BUT since the game CBJ and Currie have been aware, and publicly acknowledged atleast the rumors.

Butch hasn't done anything, he's the superior to the coach who was informed by Kendrick. His inaction in regard to the situation makes him just as guilty.

Now Currie knows. If either coach is allowed to be on the sideline on Saturday then Currie and the University are just as guilty and liable.

So with all that, here it is
Currie now has to make a decision. He wanted to wait till the end of the season to excuse Butch of his duties. This possibly to give Haslam more time to work on his own deal that's opposite from the other boosters, or to give time for other schools to hire Butch(to help compensate his buyout). Which ever you buy into.

The problem is if he again allows Butch to coach Saturday, his(Curries) own job and future career here or elsewhere will be ruined. If CBJ coaches Saturday he is allowing a coach that he knows doesn't take the health of the players serious. If he fires him his own plans will be wrecked, or Haslams plans will be wrecked.

So this revelation is forcing Curries hand. He has tomorrow and Friday to decide if he has a future as an AD here or elsewhere. Also Haslam or the other boosters win, if that's the true conflict.

This incident has changed everything.

Let me know if I win the grand prize.

P.S. Sorry if I kept repeating things, just wanted to be clear on things. It seems most in here don't think it's as big of an issue as I do. Based of lack of discussion of the subject. I truly feel that if there ever was a time that we can predict a response it'll be tomorrow, or Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back