Official Jon Gruden Thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to believe there is some truth to Bev being a problem here and she needs to be put in her damn place and told to move aside. What does she know about football? How does Joe Dipetrio feel about all of this I wonder or does he even care? What other major university is such a cluster from top to bottom as ours?😡😡😡

BD is worse than VD

MIT tell us who is the damn problem at the university- it's time we knew names and call them out. Is Currie one of them? Davenport who doesn't know which UT to tag in her tweet? Haslam? What does President Joe even do? I wish we could clean house from top to bottom. The fans and alumni are sick of it.

Reactions: 5 people
They have a damn good case.

This is what happens when you let a bum hang around too long. You get them messing up stuff that shouldn’t have even been an issue. You’re going to see a couple lawsuits. Watch and see. This kids lawyer will recruit other players and other families to bring into a class action lawsuit. Suddenly every player that’s been injured under Butch will come out and have stories of him forcing them to play. Etc. Tennessee will settle out of court for millions to avoid the PR nightmare and the university will take a hit to a brand name that’s already a dumpster fire.

Reactions: 2 people
Currie just lobbied and was granted approval to retain a coach that was potentially involved in endangering a player. His interest in retaining said coach (prior to the BK issue) was a stall for time to flesh out his BATNA.

In those efforts he spent two days campaigning his messagr to support our players to quiet vitriol for the decision.

This was all prior to BK's news being broken and making his stump speeches sound hollow.

Antone Davis has also resigned amidst all of this, and appears to have had broad support from players and parents. That may have been coincidental but it raises further questions on the player treatment and culture Currie has just campaigned for.

This puts pressure on Currie to expedite his timeline and oust Butch sooner or face negative PR from inaction and acceptance.

Ousting Butch now would cost more money that Currie would need to raise, or force him to face an onslaught of negative press as a new AD. I believe that is actually the pressure he was trying to avoid when he made these moves that backfired.

Both factors diminish Curries ability to negotiate a BATNA that supersedes the one already presented. They also exacerbate Curries need for cash that Boosters have threatened to withhold.

Currie's opportunity cost to stall for more time have essentially gone to zero unless he wants to ruin his career trying.

4VzMw.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Waiting on that midnight drivebuy orange nugget that's going to make me sleep better tonight. If not soon I am going to turn in early and hope for a much brighter day. Good grief UT, for the love of humanity get it right! SOON VERY VERY SOON!

Just like everybody else I want to believe the master behind the scenes plan is moving along nicely. But the events since Sunday have made me change my tune a little. Especially today. The reputation of everyone involved INCLUDING the people perceived to be pulling strings on the booster side looks like a clown right now. The “almost firing” Sunday, the awkward press conferences, the articles saying “what are they waiting on” and the concussion scandal are awful. And nothing... just mere forced statements by Currie. No actual insight.

That’s not playing it close to the vest, that’s not doing your job. That’s dragging the brand through the mud. That’s diminishing value.

Obviously, all is forgiven if he pulls a rabbit out of the hat. But the evidence thus far says otherwise and continues to build. It’s easy to sling mud at the admin and Haslam... but this is on the other powerplayers as well. Get your crap together and turn this thing around.

And what is Gruden's evaluation of this. I would expect he's staying well informed if he's about to be the next man up but dang it doesn't look good. It's nowhere near Penn st bad but this is ugly

Gruden wants job for big money....we are paying..but my god... is our school willing to pay the other coaches...this is where i say bull...pay millions for him..but cheap on other coaches..not adding up..unless someone/booster steps up...not happened in years so far.

he cant win nothing if coaches around him suck balls

Butch's best option at this juncture is to continue being Butch and force Currie to pay the buyout or get eaten alive in the court of public opinion. If Currie is as dumb as he is stubborn he will "investigate" Butch until his own career is over. FTR I think Currie is just stubborn so I see us making progress soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weezer and Souce
Who is paying Butch's buyout since Currie seems hell bent on saving a few bucks to hang onto Butch this season? If boosters are paying it, why does Currie care? The image of UT has taken a massive hit since the GA loss and now an even worse turn with Kendrick. Not worth all of this to save a couple million dollars.

AD wants fire and hire all done within 48hrs of each other..was on 104.5 the zone and other media outlets. Doubt that info came from AD

Butch is 100% a liability right now.

He’s burning red shirts. Dragging Tennessee into lawsuits.

Lol.

John Currie IS a liability at Tennessee right now for allowing it to occur.

Reactions: 11 people
It would be the best scenario for UT but CBJ would be admitting he was in the wrong, don't see that happening unless the "buyout" was in play...

Leave now and the investigation fizzles out or find him officially with no knowledge..find a new scapegoat...Wells

Leave now and the investigation fizzles out or find him officially with no knowledge..find a new scapegoat...Wells

If Butch is in a vindictive state of mind, he may not care. I only cursory saw posts about him burning red shirts. If that is true he may be past playing long games.

Reactions: Weezer
Currie just lobbied and was granted approval to retain a coach that was potentially involved in endangering a player. His interest in retaining said coach (prior to the BK issue) was a stall for time to flesh out his BATNA.

In those efforts he spent two days campaigning his messagr to support our players to quiet vitriol for the decision.

This was all prior to BK's news being broken and making his stump speeches sound hollow.

Antone Davis has also resigned amidst all of this, and appears to have had broad support from players and parents. That may have been coincidental but it raises further questions on the player treatment and culture Currie has just campaigned for.

This puts pressure on Currie to expedite his timeline and oust Butch sooner or face negative PR from inaction and acceptance.

Ousting Butch now would cost more money that Currie would need to raise, or force him to face an onslaught of negative press as a new AD. I believe that is actually the pressure he was trying to avoid when he made these moves that backfired.

Both factors diminish Curries ability to negotiate a BATNA that supersedes the one already presented. They also exacerbate Curries need for cash that Boosters have threatened to withhold.

Currie's opportunity cost to stall for more time have essentially gone to zero unless he wants to ruin his career trying.

That's a great analysis IMO. The real question is what is the key driver behind needing to negotiate the BATNA. Logic presumes he would be able to cut ties with Butch immediately without recourse. For some reason, unbeknownst to us, that isn't necessarily the best option for him. And it's truly baffling why that's the case.

The opportunity cost of letting Butch go is still less than the opportunity cost of firing him immediately.

But why?
(Note: speculation follows): Potentially something tied up in the renegotiated contract that relieves Butch of his duties at the end of the year. We won't get access to that, but since Sexton was his agent during the renegotiations (presumed to be post-Georgia), there could be a clause that if Butch is fired prior to the end of the season, he is owed the full buyout and there may be limited termination for cause language. However, I don't think it has to do with money. Duck mentioned earlier in the day it wasn't about money.

And note that Currie is essentially a puppet, so I'm not necessarily talking about him, but in who is pulling his strings most vigorously. My assumption is Haslam (who was influential in Currie being hired and is indebted to him), but I do not have factual evidence to back that up. Boosters are in line and will pay the buyout, as well as provide funding for the new coach.

We've heard that it's a different group of boosters leading the charge this time around. The situation is about leverage, and maybe this is Haslam's attempt to rectify the coup, so to speak. Currie may very well want to terminate Butch immediately, but is unable to without Haslam's approval. This move pits the Haslams up against the rest of the boosters in an ultimate pissing contest for control - at the expense of the players' health and Currie's best wishes and logical thinking.

Ultimately, there's something very interesting going on behind the scenes that would force Currie to have to weigh options that logically aren't economically equivalent.

tl;dr: Great post, I concur.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back