What if we are better?

anything short of a National Championship and the same old people will be complaining

Yeah... what do you think the chances are that Jones ever puts your theory to the test?

But in response... anything better than Dooley and the same old people will be excusing.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch...like most coaches, is a mercenary. If a school came along and offered him more to coach there, that's what he would do. If you don't believe it, ask Colorado.

Wearing a power-T on his golf shirt does not make him Tennessee. Coaching for us doesn't make him Tennessee. Players commit. There are consequences to leaving once you arrive. But for coaches, those consequences are financial, and many times paid for by someone else.

I don't doubt he loves it here (he has several million reasons to), and is committed to being here....until he isnt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
What if we have a better season this year than the previous ones under Jones? It's a thought I have been rattling around in my head since spring practice. Does it mean new coaches are doing their jobs better than previous? Are new schemes better? Was injuries last season really the downfall of last season? Is it just the byproduct of young players getting p.t. last year? I personally think we will be better. So what does it mean if we are?

P.s. Long time observer, first thread

There is a precedence for this 97 & 98 Seasons! That one ended well for us!

Reactions: 1 person
And... injuries are in large part a product of decisions made within the program from S&C to player rotation to tackling and blocking techniques.

Not ALL injuries are preventable. You can't account for what the other team does. But many are... especially those that are a product of S&C or fatigue.

I would be interested in your injury by injury analysis per which were Butch's fault and which were just dumb bad luck.

Reactions: 4 people
Well I would say that last season we had the talent and experience with our roster to win the east and be in SEC champ. That didn't happen. Injuries happen all the time. I think last year it was more on our coaching staff.

I'd expect we will overachieve our expectations based on how new our staff will be. We will have kids with little experience but they will be more determine to work their tails off.

The best analogy is when you get a new job. You always want to do your very best early on, but then you can get burnt out. New roster with new staff will equal more energy and lots of wins
Is anybody else as puzzled as am I regarding those who simply can't wrap their minds around how catastrophic last season's injury pandemic was for team 120? I agree completely with the poster who wrote even bammer wouldn't have made the SECCG with 3rd stringers having to start in so many key positions. Yes. Coach Jones wasn't perfect in his play calling, but he never seems to receive well deserved accolades for all those very good decisions he's made. Yeah, OP. I think this group can be better...due to upped coaching staffers, some valuable experience by a good number of very talented guys who were far too inexperienced for last years litany of tumultuous situations, and for a much better QB and RB roster than many are deriding. I sincerely believe that with all those injuries, a 9-4 season was as good as could've been expected. Barring so many injuries...BARRING SO MANY INJURIES Dougie D...team 121 will be dearly proclaimed for saving CBJ's arse and for finally pulling in all the praise the negas keep claiming won't ever happen with Butch at the helm. GBO!:hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
If we win 9-10 games this season, what answers does it give us about last season?

Jones fixed some staff issues that have lingered for years? IDK.

Last year stands on its own facts. It didn't end the way it should have.

17' will stand on its own just the same. Good or not.

If we are better then we are better. If there's one thing I know and that's football. If you're good in football then you're good. No one knows more about being good at football than me.

Somebody hijacked daddy's account.

Genuinely curious how people think this years team wins more than last year while replacing starting QB, starting RB, most productive WR in team, and arguably best DE in country

Oh I don't know, maybe because 30% of our active roster got hurt last year. A dozen different starting secondary and Oline combinations. 4th string LB's getting significant PT, DE's at DT, one scholarship DT healthy at the end of the year

Reactions: 5 people
I like Dobbs... and this drives Dobbs' supporters crazy... but he was never a great passer at UT. What you lose in athleticism with either potential starter, you make up for in the ability to throw the ball accurately, on time.

With you on this. I think his inability to throw the ball accurately is why we saw so many screen passes and not much actual downfield WRs running routes. Just felt like the coaches never fully trusted him to sling the ball around.

I think the OL will be a lot better this season and the RB and WR positions about the same. QB is a question mark but they both have looked good in practice.
So the season comes down to the defense. They have the mean enormously better or were in trouble.

Last year's roster was full of his players. How does that roster or the one this fall prove that he knows how to build a "winning" roster?

2013 - Year One - Butch inherited a team with a roster that was mostly full of players he did not recruit.
2014- His first full recruiting year.
2017 - Jump to Year Five - those freshman Butch recruits in 2014 will be seniors this Fall.

So, yes, a roster full of solely his recruits in 2017.

VN Store

Back