Where is Alexa headed? [Alexa Middleton leaving team]

Cooper will be back. I'm not worried

that Cooper is returning--but she played two years ago and now is coming off knee surgery. Those of you who think there is no problem because Cooper is back and we've got new players coming in are missing the big picture. And, I've said, Middleton was our best three-point shooter on a team that NEEDS to make more threes if it expects to be better and beat good teams that can and do make more threes. Which of our other guards is going to make threes? Probably NONE of them. This is just another indication that Warlick doesn't know what she's doing. We had a serious depth problem last and now we've lost a player.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think this is going to be that big of a factor for next year's team with all of the incoming freshmen and Deshields returning. Depth chart you have:
PG-Cooper/Hayes
SG-Westbrook/Jackson
SF-Deshields/Davis
PF-Nared/Green/Dunbar
C-Russell/KK

Realistically, that rotation should be trimmed to about 8 players, who I predict will be:
Guards: Cooper/Hayes/Westbrook
Forwards: Deshields/Nared/Davis

Athletically, I think Middleton would have a hard time beating out any of the above guards, plus Diamond could see time on the wing too. Wish her all the best.
Nared and Dunbar are not power forwards

Reactions: 2 people
I hate to see her go, I hope she goes to UT-Chattanooga she would fit in with this team and she would get at least 30 minutes a game. I believe she give her all to Tennessee but just a little slow of foot for the SEC.

I hate to see her go, however, I think she will be better off at UTC or MTSU, she can start at either school. I look for her to be outstanding. I hate to see her go as well. I wish her all the best.

The Nashville Tennessean news paper:

"Middleton wanted to make it clear that the possibility of reduced playing time did not affect her decision."

"That recruiting class had nothing to do with why I left,". "I feel confident in my abilities. ".

Enough said! ????

If not those two things then what effected her decision?

I told ya'll Holly was looking to run people off.

I don't think Holly is looking to run anyone off, however, in the direction we have been going, I am surprised we have not had more transfers. Under Holly's rein, isn't Middleton and Tucker the only ones? That is not bad when you consider transfers from schools like Duke, Maryland and a few others. In essence, Holly must be doing something right.

that Cooper is returning--but she played two years ago and now is coming off knee surgery. Those of you who think there is no problem because Cooper is back and we've got new players coming in are missing the big picture. And, I've said, Middleton was our best three-point shooter on a team that NEEDS to make more threes if it expects to be better and beat good teams that can and do make more threes. Which of our other guards is going to make threes? Probably NONE of them. This is just another indication that Warlick doesn't know what she's doing. We had a serious depth problem last and now we've lost a player.

Middleton was a mediocre player let's not act like she was a great 3 point shooter. She only made like 43 on the season, most games she had to be benched because she was too slow to defend or get past defenders on offense. The freshmen coming in are already much better because they are quick/athletic & we all know te'a cooper is better.

Reactions: 4 people
She is a junior which is why she has to sit out staying the spring semester to complete junior year

She just finished her junior year.... did she not go to class? Because some work out through summer and take classes ... they graduate in three years, Just saying!!

Middleton was a mediocre player let's not act like she was a great 3 point shooter. She only made like 43 on the season, most games she had to be benched because she was too slow to defend or get past defenders on offense. The freshmen coming in are already much better because they are quick/athletic & we all know te'a cooper is better.

Last year her 3 pt percentage was .389

Te'a Cooper her last year here .260

I don't think Middleton is that good. I'm no fan of Holly so there's that too.

We just lost our most experienced point guard and best three-point shooter, and you all seem to think it's a good thing. SMH. And as for turnover-machine, while we have those on the team, none of them are named Alexa, and one of them is the person you're counting on to replace her. And you've really got to be wearing orange-colored glasses if you think a bunch of freshmen are going to upgrade this team right out of the gate.
other teams have freshman to step up why not us? I loved Alexa but IMO you are incorret.

She is a junior which is why she has to sit out staying the spring semester to complete junior year

I agree. I think there's more to the story. She knew since November what Tennessee had coming in next season and could of left during Christmas break before SEC play.

I agree. I think there's more to the story. She knew since November what Tennessee had coming in next season and could of left during Christmas break before SEC play.

That would've given her a year and a half eligibility right as she could've played Jan of 2018 and the 2018-2019 correct?

That would've given her a year and a half eligibility right as she could've played Jan of 2018 and the 2018-2019 correct?

Yes, that's why I feel there's more to the story. You leave right before your senior season and you say playing time wasn't a deciding factor.

IMO that would have been really dirty to her team and school. We were short handed and really needed her. I don't believe Alexa would do that.

Three point percentage is not all there is to playing point guard. Why did Jordan play point and Alexa not? Middleton could shoot but that's about it... the rest of the game she was not that good. JMO

Difference is Middleton is known as a "shooter" and Te'a is not and never has been.

BTW, Middleton shot 28.6% in her first year at UT from three-point range, compared to Te'a's 26% in her first year. Let's stop comparing freshman stats to junior stats.

And let's stop acting like Middleton is anywhere near the player that Te'a potentially can be. Even in Te'a's first year she was a better player than what Middleton ever showed at UT.

Reactions: 6 people
Difference is Middleton is known as a "shooter" and Te'a is not and never has been.

BTW, Middleton shot 28.6% in her first year at UT from three-point range, compared to Te'a's 26% in her first year. Let's stop comparing freshman stats to junior stats.

And let's stop acting like Middleton is anywhere near the player that Te'a potentially can be. Even in Te'a's first year she was a better player than what Middleton ever showed at UT.

True, there is no comparison talent wise between Cooper and Middleton. I will not say anything bad about Alexa but she is not anywhere near as talented as Cooper and for that matter there are not many that are. The question is whether the staff can develop Cooper.

difference is middleton is known as a "shooter" and te'a is not and never has been.

Btw, middleton shot 28.6% in her first year at ut from three-point range, compared to te'a's 26% in her first year. Let's stop comparing freshman stats to junior stats.

And let's stop acting like middleton is anywhere near the player that te'a potentially can be. Even in te'a's first year she was a better player than what middleton ever showed at ut.

facts

Copper is better....period. It's really not that hard to see. Regardless what number you want to throw out there on Cooper, the girl can play.

Oh yeah i agree Cooper is better.... I guess my point is that she is not the be-all fix-all elixir people say she is at PG.... we have no guarantees at the guard position... that is all

Three point percentage is not all there is to playing point guard. Why did Jordan play point and Alexa not? Middleton could shoot but that's about it... the rest of the game she was not that good. JMO

Very true.... in fact the figure I would cite as one that should improve for Te'a is assist to turnovers.... Her's is .76 in 15-16.... for starting guard this should be a bunch better if we are to be top flight team

I agree with everyone who says cooper better than middleton.... my caution is against people drunk with excitement that Cooper is going to take us to the promised land..... assist to turnover ratio must improve as said .... and her shooting percentage has to get better.... she cannot pass up open shots..... in search of a feed the middle strategy or whatever offensive plan Holly chooses to implement

"Better" doesn't get you squat if you can't score, and score efficiently. We can't. UConn led the nation in shooting percentage--with Baylor and ND also in the top 5. UT wasn't in the top 50. UConn led the nation in team 3-point FG percent @ 41.5 percent. We weren't in the top 50. Middleton had value to this team as a 3-PT shooter--39 percent. That is a good number. Opponents will zone us again--stupid if they don't--and you need to make 3s against a zone. Who's going to do it, besides Nared? (Oh, since I'm tossing out some stats: UConn also led the nation in team Assist/Turnover ratio. And UT, drum roll, was again not in the Top 50)

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back