The Official Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 3:30 PM ET, SEC Network

I just can't fully label it a "choke" job just because at one point they had 19 pt lead. That's 7 possessions in basketball, and UT was bound to cool off and Miss st was bound to heat up. Plus it was a road game. It is what it is I guess.

Blowing a 19 point lead is the very definition of a choke job.

Reactions: 2 people
This team has more losses in them like this.........

Never wanted to think about AA Tourney but these guys just can't afford to take a play off.

Turner is a liability at point.

Hubbs disappeared once again.

Cant miss that many foul shots.

Rebounding fell off.

Didnt get more 50-50 balls and didnt get bench help.

Turner is a liability at point. He makes some great passes, but he's very loose with the ball other times

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't know the season ended today. That sucks, if only we had some more games and a SEC tournament to play in.

Yeah. We had a pretty good year though with the win against Kentucky. Better than I thought we would do. Maybe I should start a season in review thread so we can appreciate our team.

You know...it's possible to call a turd a turd without resorting to the dramatics you're claiming I'm going to.

This was a gigantic turd. Nobody said the "season is over", but it's a bad loss. If we're going to praise the good games, then fair is fair, call the sh**show we saw today for what it was. It wasn't just a loss, it's a terrible choke job in a game we could really have used a W.

Also, funny you say "reasonable fans"; I hate to break it to you but most "reasonable" fans expect to win a game they are up 19 in and in complete control.

It was a crap ending/choke job, but you clearly haven't been reading this thread if you really think "nobody said 'the season is over'". It has been stated several times.

Edit: I see someone else said the same thing.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant that I hadn't said it in responding to him, because he was indicating I was saying that.

No biggie. I was just responding to what you said. People have said it. You just can't get too high or too low after a game. But it never fails.

If that's not a choke job they don't exist. Come on man...

How much time was on the clock when UT had its largest lead?

Look man, I've seen a lot of your posts and I know you're not dumb.

You know it's not crazy for a home to go on a big run. Miss st did, the game got tight, a flagrant was called along with some other ticky tack fouls. UT cooled off, Miss st got hot and their D intensified.

Turner is a liability at point. He makes some great passes, but he's very loose with the ball other times

Turner is who I would put this loss on if I were forced to blame just one person. 0-4, 2-4 from the line, 4 TOs (2 in a row at a very critical point). He didn't come to play today.

I never said you did say those things. That's why they are followed by question marks. You don't want to chalk it up to youth, but offer no reasonable explanation as to why we lost.

MSU is younger (barely) but they played at home, had a size advantage, and adjusted in the second half. They played like garbage in the first half, we played like garbage in the second half. That's how 19 point leads evaporate.Youth absolutely played a role for both teams. MSU just had some advantages we didn't have.

MSU was younger so throw youth out.
Who's fault is it they were bigger?
only valid argument is "at home" and the crowd was no where to be found until the very end!

It was bad, no excuse!

How much time was on the clock when UT had its largest lead?

Look man, I've seen a lot of your posts and I know you're not dumb.

You know it's not crazy for a home to go on a big run. Miss st did, the game got tight, a flagrant was called along with some other ticky tack fouls. UT cooled off, Miss st got hot and their D intensified.

And when you lose your 19 point lead in the process it's called choking away the lead.

Vols were first four out before the game - now they out.

That's what happens when a team like the Vols relax and get complacent.

Should have beaten Ole Miss and Miss State - so unfortunate!

and K State and GT were last 4 in --- really that Lunardi is about as much of an expert as Kipper on mock drafts

Turner is who I would put this loss on if I were forced to blame just one person. 0-4, 2-4 from the line, 4 TOs (2 in a row at a very critical point). He didn't come to play today.

It's frustrating. He's played well this year for the most part.

Every time you think this team might've turned a corner then they lay a turd in the punch bowl. If we don't make the tourney (which I still don't think we will), then we can point to the Ole Miss and Miss St games for proof unless we lose to LSU or Mizzou.

Youth continues to hurt this team. We don't have a lot of veterans and it showed today on the road. The grizzled veteran teams win those games when they start getting tight on the road. We should do much better next year. But make no mistake, this one stung. We blew a good opportunity to pad our resume. Losing games like today just means you have to be almost perfect down the stretch and we know we'll lose at least a couple more.

Our free throw shooting continues to suck. I said it would eventually lose us a game and it sure as hell didn't help today. We were 10-22. Miss St was almost as bad (15-31). We got outrebounded 55-45. That hurt. We had been a pretty good rebounding team even though we are short. Miss St seemed to want it more down the stretch.

What I did like seeing is Barnes giving the refs hell at the end. I don't get too up or down for college hoops games anymore. When refs can dictate the game as much as they do it's not much use vesting that much energy into something. They continue to sh*t on the game.

MSU was younger so throw youth out.
Who's fault is it they were bigger?
only valid argument is "at home" and the crowd was no where to be found until the very end!

It was bad, no excuse!

I never said it wasn't bad. Pointing that out is stating the obvious.

Blame our youth, but theirs is younger and they overcame the deficit. So youth is the reason we are losing is a sorry excuse.

The point is youth is inconsistent. What you're saying doesn't disprove that at all.

He was pretty bad. Hubbs needed to step up and I thought he just drifted. He played the most minutes and had only 4 points, 5 boards, 2 turnovers and 3 assists in 32 minutes played. Not good enough.

Shoving guys in the back and getting no calls because you're bigger means that you wanted it more, I guess.

Exactly. If MSU had lost, they could easily point to youth as well for getting down early at home.

Yeah, let's not act like MSU played well at all. They played just as bad as we did.

Shoving guys in the back and getting no calls because you're bigger means that you wanted it more, I guess.

You play the game the way it's being called. We watched them grab a lot of rebounds. Go back and watch the last half.

VN Store

Back