The Official Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 3:30 PM ET, SEC Network

Exactly. If MSU had lost, they could easily point to youth as well for getting down early at home.

Yep. Being young means you mentally aren't going to have the intensity and focus needed to win through a whole season or a whole game. Today we switched off when we got a big lead and couldn't switch back on. That's what young teams do.

You play the game the way it's being called. We watched them grab a lot of rebounds. Go back and watch the last half.

If facemask guy was out of the game for pushes (not only in second half), they definitely would not have more rebounds. There were 2-3 rebound offensive possessions for them that were ehhh enough to lower their advantage.

Also 48 fouls doesn't scream "push more" to me when your bigs are in foul trouble. Williams being in foul trouble for like the whole game killed us, imo.

Last edited:
Barnes should tell Williams to do most of the shooting from here on out -- he could very well be the Josh Richardson and Punter this season if he would shoot more and Bone less

You play the game the way it's being called. We watched them grab a lot of rebounds. Go back and watch the last half.

You can't play the game when it's being called inconsistently. I will give them that this year- they are consistently inconsistent.

Reactions: 1 person
Turner is a liability at point. He makes some great passes, but he's very loose with the ball other times

i would not call him loose - he simply isnt a good ball handler - liability at point - should be pulled each time he turns it over.

He was pretty bad. Hubbs needed to step up and I thought he just drifted. He played the most minutes and had only 4 points, 5 boards, 2 turnovers and 3 assists in 32 minutes played. Not good enough.

I'll blame Hubbs for not demanding the ball as the senior leader and leading scorer, but the guards didn't do a great job of getting him opportunities. He only got 7 shots off in 32 minutes. Bone got 15 and even Lew Evans got 8. Like I said, some of that is on Hubbs, but they also need to run the offense through him more often.

Miss State is more talented than the Vols and it enabled them to come back and win the game.

If facemask guy was out of the game for pushes, they definitely would not have more rebounds. There were 2-3 rebound offensive possessions for them that were ehhh enough to lower their advantage.

Also 48 fouls doesn't scream "push more" to me when your bigs are in foul trouble.

Road teams don't get a lot of calls on the road. It's been that way for decades. A team that is more aggressive will get some fouls called but will also have more calls go their way if you look at history. Refs seem to reward that type of play. Teams have to overcome that on the road.

Did the refs cause us to lose that game some? Yes, but I don't think they were the only reason. We shot ourselves in the foot plenty. Standing there watching them rebound at one stretch was frustrating.

Was my first Vols basketball game, a real downer for sure.

We were walking out with a bunch of TN fans, a guy turned to me and said

"This is what happens when Butch Jones is your head football coach"

Lol

Horrible loss. Massive gag job. No way to spin it. Up 12 at the half and everything to play for and you choke it away like that? Pathetic choke job. Oh..but they're "young"....blah blah blah. Pathetic.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll blame Hubbs for not demanding the ball as the senior leader and leading scorer, but the guards didn't do a great job of getting him opportunities. He only got 7 shots off in 32 minutes. Bone got 15 and even Lew Evans got 8. Like I said, some of that is on Hubbs, but they also need to run the offense through him more often.

I put that on Hubbs and Barnes if they want him shooting more. Bone tends to want to take over at times, but I thought he played fairly well. We had 14 turnovers and Turner had 4 of them. He was by far the guy that seemed the most checked out.

Barnes should tell Williams to do most of the shooting from here on out -- he could very well be the Josh Richardson and Punter this season if he would shoot more and Bone less

Lord. Bone was the leading scorer, had the same percentage, had fewer fouls and more rebounds than williams.

Road teams don't get a lot of calls on the road. It's been that way for decades. A team that is more aggressive will get some fouls called but will also have more calls go their way if you look at history. Refs seem to reward that type of play. Teams have to overcome that on the road.

Did the refs cause us to lose that game some? Yes, but I don't think they were the only reason. We shot ourselves in the foot plenty. Standing there watching them rebound at one stretch was frustrating.
Yeah, I agree with this. If we shot better/shot free throws better/Turner played better/had less TOs we could still have won.

i would not call him loose - he simply isnt a good ball handler - liability at point - should be pulled each time he turns it over.

That won't exactly build his confidence. You do that to a SR, not a FR. You have to be patient with freshmen and let them make a mistake here and there. When Turner turned it over on consecutive possessions, Barnes yanked him.

It's true, he isn't a good ball-handler. He's loose with the ball, not in a careless manner, but in the sense that he doesn't keep his dribble low to the ground and keeps it too far out in front of him. He is better served at the 2g spot, but we need him to spell Bone at the point for now.

Lord. Bone was the leading scorer, had the same percentage, had fewer fouls and more rebounds than williams.

Yeah, let's not overreact based on a one game sample that shows the opposite of what you want, guys. Williams would have played more if he weren't in foul trouble.

I put that on Hubbs and Barnes if they want him shooting more. Bone tends to want to take over at times, but I thought he played fairly well. We had 14 turnovers and Turner had 4 of them. He was by far the guy that seemed the most checked out.

I agree, which is why I chose to highlight him instead of Hubbs.

This is a game where I look back and say that if we had Fulkerson then we would've won the game. When the game got tighter and Miss St started getting more boards then you'd have to think a guy with Fulkerson's motor would've played his ass off and got us some boards. I think if he were healthy we'd have 2-3 more games in the win column and would make the tournament.

Reactions: 4 people
This is a game where I look back and say that if we had Fulkerson then we would've won the game. When the game got tighter and Miss St started getting more boards then you'd have to think a guy with Fulkerson's motor would've played his ass off and got us some boards. I think if he were healthy we'd have 2-3 more games in the win column and would make the tournament.
Haha, same thought but you said it better.

VN Store

Back