Expectations after 4 years

johnrlansford

What were your realistic expectations for Butch Jones through 4 years when he was hired?

Also if Butch was fired today what would be your realistic expectations for the new coach after 4 years?

Reactions: 1 person
8-4 Belk Bowl win to go 9-4

10-2/9-3 with
Kyle Whittingham
Troy Calhoun
Willie Taggart

We have the talent to win and a solid coach would be able to pull out win agaisnt most but would be able to lose to Bama and one other with no explanation needed

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I finally "settled" for "win something significant"... NYD bowl game, the East, 10 regular season games, a Bama game... In all honesty, I believe the standard should be to win a championship in 4 years. I know Bama is a huge obstacle there... but you don't become the best without beating the best.

Realistically, that's realistic. If you find the right coach then they elevate your program and it doesn't take 6, 10, or 20 years to do it. In fact, history says it either happens early or it never happens for a coach at that program. He may win somewhere else... but not at a program after a slow start.

Jones started with a disadvantage. I'm personally sorry that was the case and sympathize with him. But as a Vol fan... that sympathy can't allow him to be kept until he leaves the next guy with a similar disadvantage.

Reactions: 8 people
For one thing, I didn't expect to find VolNation chocked full of nanner nanner boo boo.

Reactions: 6 people
For one thing, I didn't expect to find VolNation chocked full of nanner nanner boo boo.

I think Freak needs to create a forum for you and folks like you called "Safe space". That way you won't have to deal with unpleasant facts that offend your sensibilities and get you all upset and mad at people who just keep confronting you with things you don't want to face.

Reactions: 17 people
My expectations for Butch was to win the east at least once in those 4 years. I was hoping for a New Year's six bowl as well. He did get the Vols in the Top 25, have back to back 9 win seasons, and start a 3 game bowl win streak so all is not bad. He beat UF and has a 2 game win streak versus UGA. He crossed some things off of the Vol "to do" list. He just hasn't crossed enough off of that same list to date.

If Butch were fired today, I would expect a 7-5 to 6-6 season with a bowl win from his replacement. With all of the talent that team 122 would have (including a returning starting QB in either Dormady or Guarantano) along with a full year off learning his personnel, I would expect said coach to be in the 2018 SECCG.

My expectations for Butch was to win the east at least once in those 4 years. I was hoping for a New Year's six bowl as well. He did get the Vols in the Top 25, have back to back 9 win seasons, and start a 3 game bowl win streak so all is not bad. He beat UF and has a 2 game win streak versus UGA. He crossed some things off of the Vol "to do" list. He just hasn't crossed enough off of that same list to date.

If Butch were fired today, I would expect a 7-5 to 6-6 season with a bowl win from his replacement. With all of the talent that team 122 would have (including a returning starting QB in either Dormady or Guarantano) along with a full year off learning his personnel, I would expect said coach to be in the 2018 SECCG.

I don't think that teh SECCG would be realistic for 2018 for a new coach that will have a disadvantage toa Georgia team and FLorida team that are recruiting very well. But that is JMO.

Reactions: 3 people
When he was hired?

That he would be better than Dooley, but not good enough to take UT to anything meaningful. I didn't see UF slipping this far back from the elite for this duration of time. UGA was trying to fire Richt around the same time and ended up with a guy that has never been a HFC. USC went from a college football Icon (that took them to unseen heights) to guy that couldn't win at UF. Given the way the cards fell with coaching changes at those 3 it set up well for 16'.
I didn't think he would sign 2 top 5 classes here (on paper) even tho one of them looks totally different at the present. The only thing i see changing from all of that going forward is his ability to pull in recruiting classes that can compete for the Conference champ. I haven't seen anything that changes my mind that he will win anything past what he already has.

As to the expectations for the new coach.

Worthless exercise without knowing who it would be. And who it could be is even a bigger question at this point considering the fact we don't have an AD.

I don't think that teh SECCG would be realistic for 2018 for a new coach that will have a disadvantage toa Georgia team and FLorida team that are recruiting very well. But that is JMO.

Would depend on the coach.

While UF and UGA had solid to great classes this year recruiting, their impacts wont be felt as much for a couple years. And one of those coaches will be entering his 2nd season as a HC.

Said coach is in his second year at this point.

Interesting opinion in light of McElwain.

I just refuse to accept that UT should have lower expectations than UF.

Reactions: 8 people
8-4 Belk Bowl win to go 9-4

10-2/9-3 with
Kyle Whittingham
Troy Calhoun
Willie Taggart

We have the talent to win and a solid coach would be able to pull out win agaisnt most but would be able to lose to Bama and one other with no explanation needed

Willie Taggart is heading for disaster at Oregon already one more slip up by his staff and he will be $hit canned before the season starts....

Just win the East, man.

Not even a tough task to achieve right now.

as much as i want to agree, im fearful of Eason and Ga with all that talent, i think they are our challenge to the east.

Dont know what to think of FLa and the QB situation, but if Franks turns out to be what he is supposed to be, we wont beat them...

as much as i want to agree, im fearful of Eason and Ga with all that talent, i think they are our challenge to the east.

Dont know what to think of FLa and the QB situation, but if Franks turns out to be what he is supposed to be, we wont beat them...

Unless something changes I don't think Tennessee is mentally tough enough to win on the road against Florida
Georgia at home helps but the deck is still stacked against Tennessee
Butch can't get around the mental block of Muschamp
Missouri, and Kentucky should be wins
Vandy at home helps but it's still 50/50 at best for whatever reason

6-6, 7-5 at best

7 wins only if Tennessee gets around GT to open the season.

CBJ will never win the east much less the SEC. A NC is not even in the USA.

CBJ will never beat Ala. plus he probley will not beat Ga. nor Fla. ever again.no way to beat theses teams with a bunch of 2-3 star players when the other teams has 4-5 star players.

I like Butch,but he just is not the coach to win us a championship even in the SEC. will be hard pressed to beat S.C and Vandy.

Reactions: 3 people
CBJ will never win the east much less the SEC. A NC is not even in the USA.

CBJ will never beat Ala. plus he probley will not beat Ga. nor Fla. ever again.no way to beat theses teams with a bunch of 2-3 star players when the other teams has 4-5 star players.

I like Butch,but he just is not the coach to win us a championship even in the SEC. will be hard pressed to beat S.C and Vandy.

I'm negative but damn never again? That's rough.

Unless something changes I don't think Tennessee is mentally tough enough to win on the road against Florida
Georgia at home helps but the deck is still stacked against Tennessee
Butch can't get around the mental block of Muschamp
Missouri, and Kentucky should be wins
Vandy at home helps but it's still 50/50 at best for whatever reason

6-6, 7-5 at best

7 wins only if Tennessee gets around GT to open the season.

going to reserve my over all season thoughts for a later date, but i do worry about Ga now for sure, im convinced Eason is a baller and nfl'er ala Matt Stafford....

going to reserve my over all season thoughts for a later date, but i do worry about Ga now for sure, im convinced Eason is a baller and nfl'er ala Matt Stafford....

A lot of folks on this board don't like him but Gary is right about one thing the man can make all the throws. They just reloaded with more talent and Tennessee just wet the bed aside from a few.

I think Eason has under rated wheels too.
Kirby would be smart to turn him loose ala Newton at AU

Just. Win. The. East.

It's pretty sad he hasn't been able to with such a bad SEC East

VN Store

Back