Wins left?

Completing coursework is, literally, working towards a degree. If they were incapable, they'd fail out. Not sure how else you would police this

It's not that hard. Take away from the pool of available scholarships for every player that fails to complete legitimate course work. Once a player begins, then only he can use the spot for at least three years... maybe give ONE mulligan. So if you have a roster of 13 with 5 that leave after their freshman year, the next year (assuming none were seniors) you have 13 minus 5 (plus 1 mulligan) or 9 scholarships. That will spread the 1s and dones around all 300+ teams instead of concentrating them on a handful of rosters.

UPDATE:
So we've won 2 in a row since this thread has started. Hopefully we can continue the win streak and put ourselves in great position to make the tourney. In my dream world we'd only lose to U.K. And USCjr which would put us at 20-11 and in the tourney.

@ Auburn
@ Miss state
Vs Ole Miss
Vs Georgia
@ Kentucky
Vs Missouri
Vs Vanderbilt
@ Uscjr
@Lsu
Vs Alabama

It's not that hard. Take away from the pool of available scholarships for every player that fails to complete legitimate course work. Once a player begins, then only he can use the spot for at least three years... maybe give ONE mulligan. So if you have a roster of 13 with 5 that leave after their freshman year, the next year (assuming none were seniors) you have 13 minus 5 (plus 1 mulligan) or 9 scholarships. That will spread the 1s and dones around all 300+ teams instead of concentrating them on a handful of rosters.

But if your concern is the number of one and dones and the resulting impact on academics, this doesn't really change any of that. It just changes the concentration, which is kind of like saying the NCAA should stop Alabama from getting all the good football recruits

But if your concern is the number of one and dones and the resulting impact on academics, this doesn't really change any of that. It just changes the concentration, which is kind of like saying the NCAA should stop Alabama from getting all the good football recruits

My problem is with a handful of programs loading up their rosters with fake students.

Said differently, it seems like you're not making the top players focus on school more than they already do, you're just limiting their choice of schools.

Said differently, it seems like you're not making the top players focus on school more than they already do, you're just limiting their choice of schools.

To them it's not a choice of schools, it's the minor league of the NBA. I don't care if individual players don't care to take advantage of their education. I'm saying it's a farce what Cal is doing. Every roster should be substantially made up of student-athletes. Otherwise it's an NBA minor league team and they have no business competing in the NCAA. The "C" stands for Collegiate.

Then you have to either punish all of them as if they are, or have some way of differentiating them (besides "completing course work," which is already done). That's what I'm saying is tougher

Penalize the schools harshly if they recruit with large numbers of players incapable or uninterested in pursuing the academic opportunity. Sanction the schools not just for overloading with those going to the NBA after 1 or 2 years as well as those that overlaid with non-NBA bound players that are at a high risk of flunking out.

To them it's not a choice of schools, it's the minor league of the NBA. I don't care if individual players don't care to take advantage of their education. I'm saying it's a farce what Cal is doing. Every roster should be substantially made up of student-athletes. Otherwise it's an NBA minor league team and they have no business competing in the NCAA. The "C" stands for Collegiate.

College athletics have been big business for years now

Penalize the schools harshly if they recruit with large numbers of players incapable or uninterested in pursuing the academic opportunity. Sanction the schools not just for overloading with those going to the NBA after 1 or 2 years as well as those that overlaid with non-NBA bound players that are at a high risk of flunking out.

Flunking and incapable students are already screened out now. "Uninterested" is very subjective, and a lot of one and dones don't come into school planning to be. But they would still count toward the "overloading" and therefore get their schools sanctioned.

This seems like basically just "break up Kentucky and Duke." One-and-done teams have only won 2 of 7 championships since Cal got to Kentucky, so I don't really see how it's ruining the game

Reactions: 1 person
Yes. That doesn't mean that programs should lose sight that they're academic institutions first and foremost.

So we should spread the one-and-dones around so the businesses can pretend to be more scholarly? It doesn't even change the overall number of bad students, just the distribution.

Flunking and incapable students are already screened out now. "Uninterested" is very subjective, and a lot of one and dones don't come into school planning to be. But they would still count toward the "overloading" and therefore get their schools sanctioned.

This seems like basically just "break up Kentucky and Duke." One-and-done teams have only won 2 of 7 championships since Cal got to Kentucky, so I don't really see how it's ruining the game

They aren't all flunking out of a small group of schools.

I don't know how else I can say it. It's ruining the sport when a handful of teams load up their rosters with players that have no intention of graduating. Those are NBA minor league teams and they shouldn't be competing what are supposed to be teams made up of student-athletes.

Do you guys see 8 wins left?? I think it's somewhat possible. I honestly don't know how to call our games. Very young and very streaky. I think I'd poop gold bricks if we won 18 games.
Remaining games:

Vs Kentucky W
Vs K state W

@ Auburn
@ Miss state
Vs Ole Miss
Vs Georgia
@ Kentucky
Vs Missouri
Vs Vanderbilt
@ Uscjr
@Lsu
Vs Alabama

It's very possible to win 8 more now since we have won the last two games. We can beat about anybody left on the rest of our schedule except for the @Kentucky game. We have a shot at winning the rest if we play like we have been. Of course, the bad UT & we could lose at least 1/2 of the games too.

We have the toughest teams left at home except for the Kentucky game. @Auburn will be tough but we can win that one even though I do expect us to lose that one. We definitely can beat LSU away & while a bit harder we can beat USCe as well away.

I say we go either 7-2 or 6-3 the rest of the way. That excludes the games in bold above in which we have already played. We should go 7-2 to be honest but with this team you just never know. Thanks!

So we should spread the one-and-dones around so the businesses can pretend to be more scholarly? It doesn't even change the overall number of bad students, just the distribution.

That's why I'm saying to sanction programs that are moving far away from the student-athlete platform. Don't incentivize schools to run an NBA minor league program instead of a program that offers an education in exchange for participation.

The one&done rule is bogus and BS. If a kid can go from HS to pro, let him them. Why should these kids basically be given an ultimatum of going to college for one year or play overseas one year when they could just get drafted out of HS? Requiring any amount of time removed from HS is complete BS. If the NBA is worried about the maturity level of young players, maybe they need to freaking scout harder and not hand out multi-million dollar contracts based on potential like they were UNICEF pennies.

Reactions: 3 people
The one&done rule is bogus and BS. If a kid can go from HS to pro, let him them. Why should these kids basically be given an ultimatum of going to college for one year or play overseas one year when they could just get drafted out of HS? Requiring any amount of time removed from HS is complete BS. If the NBA is worried about the maturity level of young players, maybe they need to freaking scout harder and not hand out multi-million dollar contracts based on potential like they were UNICEF pennies.

Agree

I don't know how else I can say it. It's ruining the sport when a handful of teams load up their rosters with players that have no intention of graduating. Those are NBA minor league teams and they shouldn't be competing what are supposed to be teams made up of student-athletes.
I can't over emphasize just how much I agree with this post. Remember Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan's famous statement " we don't do rent a player ".

On the other hand...

if the *primary purpose of college academics is to prepare students for an initial career and gainful employment...

then one-and-done is far more consistent with that goal than offering 4-year degrees in (for example) the social sciences if the student (a) isn't preparing to teach that subject, or (b) won't be pursuing a Master's Degree in something related which is career-enabling.

I don't know what the current figures are, but 10-15 years ago, less than half of UT graduates were finding employment (placement) related to their major within 12 months of graduation. Other schools have been found to have even worse rates of placement.

----
* Some would contend that producing educated citizens capable of critical thought should be the primary purpose of tax-funded higher education. But if so, then taxpayers have the right to REQUIRE a level of political/ideological diversity among faculty that hasn't been seen in decades.
Otherwise, "education" simply becomes indoctrination.

Reactions: 2 people

So, you're fine with players treating college as an NBA minor league as long as they're not on the same team. Makes sense...

And for the tenth time, they're not flunking out because they are completing their coursework. It doesn't fit with the narrative, and you may not like it, but that doesn't make it any less true. These aren't just kids that never go to class, and if they were, the teams wouldn't be in the tournament.

VN Store

Back