Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called recruiting. Its part of his job. A job he gets paid $2.4 million to do.

Salary is irrelevant. All P-5 coaches cash big checks. But, maybe it's better that he stays with his team and prepares them for their next game instead of spending a day going to visit a player that may not be a good fit for the program anyway. It's more fun though to criticize every little thing he foes or doesn't do though... amiright?

Salary is irrelevant. All P-5 coaches cash big checks. But, maybe it's better that he stays with his team and prepares them for their next game instead of spending a day going to visit a player that may not be a good fit for the program anyway. It's more fun though to criticize every little thing he foes or doesn't do though... amiright?
Summer?

We're talking big picture.......if he wants bigger names, then he needs to get off his recliner

Big picture looks like he's putting together a solid base of a team and should be able to add bigger names to the mix going forward. Big names don't usually like to be immolated in dumpster fires.

Guys I like Barnes but this deal where he thinks he's earned the right to not have to recruit is INDEFENSIBLE.

Barnes didn't say that. Even if an assistant says that a coach has earned the right to be the closer, that doesn't mean that he's not recruiting. Where were all of the reports that Barnes was recruiting Yurtseven? Just because Barnes isn't holding press conferences to outline how he's spending his time doesn't mean he's not out there working on it.

Barnes didn't say that. Even if an assistant says that a coach has earned the right to be the closer, that doesn't mean that he's not recruiting. Where were all of the reports that Barnes was recruiting Yurtseven? Just because Barnes isn't holding press conferences to outline how he's spending his time doesn't mean he's not out there working on it.

His assistant did. It's not a lie. That's the way they feel. They feel he's earned the right to not have to go sit in a gym.

It's indefensible. I don't know how else to say it.

His assistant did. It's not a lie. That's the way they feel. They feel he's earned the right to not have to go sit in a gym.

It's indefensible. I don't know how else to say it.

No, the assistant did not say that Barnes thinks he has earned the right to refrain from recruiting. The assistant was complimenting his boss by saying that he has earned the right to send out his assistant's on the recruiting trail and to come in as the closer. The assistant was also pointing out that they (the assistants) were capable of recruiting. But as usual, VN jumps on everything and twists it to fit their agenda.

Reactions: 1 person
No, the assistant did not say that Barnes thinks he has earned the right to refrain from recruiting. The assistant was complimenting his boss by saying that he has earned the right to send out his assistant's on the recruiting trail and to come in as the closer. The assistant was also pointing out that they (the assistants) were capable of recruiting. But as usual, VN jumps on everything and twists it to fit their agenda.

I don't have an agenda.

Wanting the coach to recruit is not unreasonable.

Reactions: 2 people
He does recruit. He just hasn't convinced the best recruits to come to a dumpster fire.

Dude I am sorry but Auburn and Miss State are doing it. The Missouri coach is getting fired and has a higher rated recruit than us.

The dumpster fire narrative you are pushing is nonexistent.

He isn't working hard enough at recruiting. It is not something new with him. Has mailed it in as far as recruiting.

Dude I am sorry but Auburn and Miss State are doing it. The Missouri coach is getting fired and has a higher rated recruit than us.

He isn't working hard enough at recruiting. It is not something new with him. Has mailed it in as far as recruiting.

He's just not signing the guys that fit your profile. Barnes could actually be working harder by finding better players to fit his vision. Howland and Pearl could actually be buying theirs.

The dumpster fire is non-existent? Three coaches in three years didn't happen? Two of the previous 3 coaches weren't penalized by the NCAA and the other didn't get his feelings hurt and went away mad?

Last edited:
He's just not signing the guys that fit your profile. Barnes could actually be working harder by finding better players to fit his vision. Howland and Pearl could actually be buying theirs.

No.

This is my last post on this tonight.

If his assistant says "he's earned the right to not have to sit in a gym and to be a closer" then he isn't working hard enough. Period. It's inexcusable. He isn't working hard enough and needs to get his crap together. I really hope we hire an AD who tells him he needs to get his butt in a gym and keep it there or he will be retiring earlier than he hoped.

No.

This is my last post on this tonight.

If his assistant says "he's earned the right to not have to sit in a gym and to be a closer" then he isn't working hard enough. Period. It's inexcusable. He isn't working hard enough and needs to get his crap together. I really hope we hire an AD who tells him he needs to get his butt in a gym and keep it there or he will be retiring earlier than he hoped.

But your quote isn't what Desmond Oliver said and it doesn't accurately reflect the context.

“The good thing about being a veteran head coach,” Oliver said, “and I think every veteran head coach goes through this, is they’ve earned the right to not have to go out (recruiting) like second-year head coaches do and oversell their program and beg kids to come.

“I think they’ve earned the right to hire a veteran staff that has recruited for 15, 20 some odd years between Rob Lanier, myself and Mike Schwartz; to trust that we can get our foot in the door with guys,” Oliver added. “We have to know the guys that we have a chance to get early on. Then let coach finish.

“And I think he’s done a tremendous job of doing it.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

I like our current outlook better than Auburn, Alabama, Missouri, Mississippi State or Vandy...you honestly don't? Florida and Mike White would be the only school with a newer coach that I would say is in a better spot currently...so what have those recruiting rankings done for those schools?

I like our current outlook better than Auburn, Alabama, Missouri, Mississippi State or Vandy...you honestly don't? Florida and Mike White would be the only school with a newer coach that I would say is in a better spot currently...so what have those recruiting rankings done for those schools?

Auburn is well ahead of us. Bama and Miss state are close but next year with what they have coming in they pass us easily.

Auburn is well ahead of us.

Auburn Year 1: 12-19(4-4)
Tennessee Year 1: 13-18(6-12)

Auburn Year 2: 11-19(5-13)
Tennessee Year 2: 10-9(3-4) projected 15-15(9-9)

Through the first 2 years even if Tennessee limps to the finish line they will have a better record than Auburn did in their first 2 years under Pearl. Also not like Auburn is lighting it up this year, analytics have them 17-14 to finish the year, would be no NCAAT or NIT in first 3 seasons...according to VN that should have a coach packing up and on his way out of town.

Last edited:
Auburn Year 1: 12-19(4-4)
Tennessee Year 1: 13-18(6-12)

Auburn Year 2: 11-19(5-13)
Tennessee Year 2: 10-9(3-4)

Through the first 2 years even if Tennessee limps to the finish line they will have a better record than Auburn did in their first 2 years under Pearl. Also not like Auburn is lighting it up this year, analytics have them 17-14 to finish the year, would be no NCAAT or NIT in first 3 seasons...according to VN that should have a coach packing up and on his way out of town.

What the hell does that matter?

I am comparing Tenn and auburn this year. I never said Pearl had immediate success at Auburn but he has it going now. I won't be surprised if he makes the NCAA this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back