Game Thread Lady Vols vs Appalachian State

After a torrid start by her standards, Jordan's numbers have settled more to what has been her historical average: 5.9 ppg shooting 34% FG and 23% 3PTFG. FG% is a career low. Sadly, her PPG as a senior is her second highest of her career. The likelihood that she will improve these numbers against SEC competition is probably non-existent, which brings us to your next point...

I've always liked Alexa as a PG. I love her passing instincts, but feel like alternates between thinking too much and second guessing her decision making vs. playing with complete abandon. If she can find that happy middle ground and improve her defense against SEC-level guards, I think she can provide a nice upgrade at PG (which unfortunately isn't saying much...).

Kamera...Kamera...I had such hopes for you. I'm afraid that if she cannot be productive against the Appalachian States and ETSUs of the schedule, then she will spend a lot of time on the bench during SEC play. I can see why Holly recruited her...if only to have a warm body on the bench in case Russell AND Nunn were unable to play or in foul trouble. But I sense that especially with post reinforcement coming in next year, her career as a LV may be as a practice partner. Right now, she does not appear to be a BCS-caliber player.

I'm not much of a number cruncher all I see is a point guard who is consistently awful at her position. Jordan Reynolds is lucky to have Holly as her coach.

Alexa Middleton off the bench out performed Jordan in every statistical category I don't even have to go back and check the stats.

And to have MeMe starting over Alexa is obscene to say the least! I did not mention her in my original post because I forgot about her. She's a freshman and playing like one. Unfortunately the development of her game is at the mercy of Holly.

Yes, I felt embarrassed for Kamera! She looked lost out on the court. Unfortunately for her Holly is her coach.

We're in trouble for the rest of the season. Staying positive is a struggle with Holly's team. :thud:

Reactions: 1 person
didn't middleton start against Baylor? And wasn't she a totally non effective player?

It's easy to look great when your opponent is smaller, slower and playing on your court.

Middleton has had 2 good games so far this year, but it was against the lowest rated teams we've played yet.

That said, Meme needs to step it up bigtime and read the damn game plan. She's a loose cannon most of the time and Reynolds is too afraid to cut loose. Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.... the life of a LADYVOL

I think Alexa has some potential as PG but again she has real trouble matching up against more athletic guards, not only defensively but also in terms of handling a pressing defense when it is thrown at her. She becoming a solid player who can look like an AA against weaker comp. but she may not be ready for prime time as a PG.

The better hope is that Jordan finds her mojo or Holly has DD handing the ball more. We saw that back in the day when Candace was often the de facto point guard.

The problem is that Jordan never had mojo to begin with. At this stage of her career, what you see is what you get. Things looked promising at the start of the season for her, but it's clear that it was due to the cupcake competition. Once the BCS portion of the schedule kicked in, her numbers have settled back to her historical averages. Alexa and MeMe will at least be with the program for another year. I honestly don't see the point in continuing to play Jordan such extended minutes when she's a below average player and doesn't really bring much to the team as far as offense, defense, leadership or intangibles. She's a non factor.

Back when SWG quit the team and Alexis broke her hand, Shanna Zolman used to bring the ball up the court and she would struggle against athletic guards. They got around this by having Anosike basically jog beside her to shield her from defenders, or like you said have Candace bring the ball up until they got set up for a half court offense. They can do the same with Alexa, because even with her flaws, she still has more upside than Jordan.

I don't understand Jordan, she work so hard in the off season, she lost 30 pounds for her final season and wanted to do good so bad. How can you work so hard and not hustle more on the court during the game. Jordan dose a lot of thing right just no hustle. I only wish her the best. Go Lady Vol's.:pepper:

Jordan dose a lot of thing right just no hustle.

She can't effectively run a half court offense

She can't hit layups unless it's a complete breakaway (which she still sometimes misses)

She can't hit midrange jumpers

She can't hit three point jumpers

She can't drive and dish to set up her teammates

She can't consistently make post entry passes when her player is in position

She can't stop dribble penetration

She can't consistently box out when she does get beaten off the dribble

She's not that great at playing the passing lanes

About the only thing she can do is push tempo off rebounds and get assists in transition.

She has created 3 years of job security for 10 glorious minutes played against Kentucky in the SEC tournament a lifetime ago...

Reactions: 2 people
she can't effectively run a half court offense

she can't hit layups unless it's a complete breakaway (which she still sometimes misses)

she can't hit midrange jumpers

she can't hit three point jumpers

she can't drive and dish to set up her teammates

she can't consistently make post entry passes when her player is in position

she can't stop dribble penetration

she can't consistently box out when she does get beaten off the dribble

she's not that great at playing the passing lanes

about the only thing she can do is push tempo off rebounds and get assists in transition.

She has created 3 years of job security for 10 glorious minutes played against kentucky in the sec tournament a lifetime ago...

+10000000000000

Where did Holly find you, and how much is she paying you per post?

Where did Geno find you? Did he get your mom a condo in Storrs or just the purse business? Haha

I know you were just being snarky. Sam, I just think of my TN sports teams as family. They may not be that dear to you. I'm friends with players and parents and coaches, and that adds to my disdain for negative comments. And especially so when those comments aren't based in reality.

Reactions: 3 people
didn't middleton start against Baylor? And wasn't she a totally non effective player?

It's easy to look great when your opponent is smaller, slower and playing on your court.

Middleton has had 2 good games so far this year, but it was against the lowest rated teams we've played yet.

gule say no more you are 100% correct about Middleton a non-factor against a the top 30 teams. Holly rolled the dice and lost, Should have gone the JC route to help the backcourt.

gule say no more you are 100% correct about Middleton a non-factor against a the top 30 teams. Holly rolled the dice and lost, Should have gone the JC route to help the backcourt.

Let's see if this theory stands up Sunday.

Where did Geno find you? Did he get your mom a condo in Storrs or just the purse business? Haha

I know you were just being snarky. Sam, I just think of my TN sports teams as family. They may not be that dear to you. I'm friends with players and parents and coaches, and that adds to my disdain for negative comments. And especially so when those comments aren't based in reality.

Okay. FWIW, I graduated from college with Pat and knew her well. No doubt, objectivity will remain a struggle for each of us considering what we have each disclosed. No ill will on my part.

Oh! As an English professor, I respectfully suggest you to resort to a thesaurus and find an alternative to the word "snarky" because you have worn the semantic effectiveness of that lexical item to a useless nub throwing it around as much as you have. In addition, calling anybody an "asshat" on this particular forum will result in getting more disdain hurled at you than you could ever imagine.

Finally, I assure you nobody wants Holly and her team to succeed more than I do. I bleed orange and I will always remain a fan. BUT, that doesn't mean I will refrain from expressing concern when I think things are in a state of obvious decline, be they academic or athletic.

Reactions: 4 people
Okay. FWIW, I graduated from college with Pat and knew her well. No doubt, objectivity will remain a struggle for each of us considering what we have each disclosed. No ill will on my part.

Oh! As an English professor, I respectfully suggest you to resort to a thesaurus and find an alternative to the word "snarky" because you have worn the semantic effectiveness of that lexical item to a useless nub throwing it around as much as you have. In addition, calling anybody an "asshat" on this particular forum will result in getting more disdain hurled at you than you could ever imagine.

Finally, I assure you nobody wants Holly and her team to succeed more than I do. I bleed orange and I will always remain a fan. BUT, that doesn't mean I will refrain from expressing concern when I think things are in a state of obvious decline, be they academic or athletic.

A good read, indeed.
And thank you for your service to educate. I learned a new word today!

"lexical - of or relating to words or the vocabulary of a language as distinguished from its grammar and construction"

Wow, I'm certain Pat would be SO proud of your comments and more so those of others on here. And I'm not the least bit frightened by your thinly-veiled threats.

No one minds "concern." Once folks deride a person and call for termination, concern has crossed a line into scorn and contempt.

Many here find those actions much more offensive than a one-time use of asshat.

I thought the program was in decline many times during Pat's tenure, but I sure didn't publicly mock her.

At any rate, my intention was not to insult as much as to see if we can improve the comments.

Go Lady Vols!

Jordan starting, to me is sending the wrong message to the team cos she's not producing, and not being productive but still gets to play or start.

As a player, how can you make a case for Reynolds being on the court. Nared, aye, she's your friend, teammate talk to her, aye Jordan pick it or ride the bench. smh

What is Holly's love affair with Reynolds?

Last edited:
Watched some of the game...Middleton should be starting pg. She passed the ball well, made nice drives (even a reverse layup) and had a pass fake. I understand the level of competition, but she was able to increase her confidence and knows how to ATTACK from the top of the key if no play materializes.
I think Middleton has the most upside and we should give her the job.

Middleton at pg is the only way I see this team making a realistic run at the FF.

Watched some of the game...Middleton should be starting pg. She passed the ball well, made nice drives (even a reverse layup) and had a pass fake. I understand the level of competition, but she was able to increase her confidence and knows how to ATTACK from the top of the key if no play materializes.

Middleton at pg is the only way I see this team making a realistic run at the FF.

you need bench Scoring , And production , so do you bring jordan off bench to not score.

I agree wholeheartedly!

The fact that Warlick is a lousy coach? Oh, I'm quite sure that is very real, and if you can't see it (we were bad last year, we've lost four of five games this year and may not even make the tournament), then I'd contend that you don't have much of a relationship with reality.

VN Store

Back