Game Thread Lady Vols vs Appalachian State

Middleton should be the PG because she IS a point guard. She can dribble and pass and has a high IQ. Is she as athletic as we'd like her to be? No. Can she defend as well as a good PG should? No. But she's got qualities and is a natural point guard. Reynolds has always been...something: not a PG and not a shooting guard. She has good stretches every year when she is physical and when she takes the ball down the lane and shoots a 8-footer, using her size. She's not a natural PG or a natural shooting guard--not having a natural position is always a problem--and she's inconsistent. Still, I think she'd be more effective if we had better coaching. Nobody really plays well consistently in our crap offense.

Reactions: 2 people
The fact that Warlick is a lousy coach? Oh, I'm quite sure that is very real, and if you can't see it (we were bad last year, we've lost four of five games this year and may not even make the tournament), then I'd contend that you don't have much of a relationship with reality.

Last yr = Elite 8
This yr = ongoing
Past yrs = 28 wins/SEC titles/Elite

I see plenty. Look, certainly we'd all like better results because any fan base wants rings. HW is not a terrible coach. She's not the best offense coach; neither was Pat. Every team goes through good and bad seasons.

HW IS our coach, and we should support her until her boss says she isn't our coach. IF you wanna discuss on-court strategy or something, I'm with you. But disparaging someone's person or calling them lousy or calling for their termination doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Go Lady Vols

Reactions: 3 people
Watched some of the game...Middleton should be starting pg. She passed the ball well, made nice drives (even a reverse layup) and had a pass fake. I understand the level of competition, but she was able to increase her confidence and knows how to ATTACK from the top of the key if no play materializes.
I think Middleton has the most upside and we should give her the job.

Middleton at pg is the only way I see this team making a realistic run at the FF.

Middleton at pg is the only way I see this team making a realistic run at the FF. WTF!!:thud:

I agree letting Middleton start at PG, but FF!

Last yr = Elite 8
This yr = ongoing
Past yrs = 28 wins/SEC titles/Elite

I see plenty. Look, certainly we'd all like better results because any fan base wants rings. HW is not a terrible coach. She's not the best offense coach; neither was Pat. Every team goes through good and bad seasons.

HW IS our coach, and we should support her until her boss says she isn't our coach. IF you wanna discuss on-court strategy or something, I'm with you. But disparaging someone's person or calling them lousy or calling for their termination doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Go Lady Vols

This....love.

Reactions: 1 person
Jordan starting, to me is sending the wrong message to the team cos she's not producing, and not being productive but still gets to play or start.

As a player, how can you make a case for Reynolds being on the court. Nared, aye, she's your friend, teammate talk to her, aye Jordan pick it or ride the bench. smh

What is Holly's love affair with Reynolds?

Maybe experience. She's probably a better defender right now than AM... faster feet, longer arms. JR's shooting has declined - going 1-9 a couple of games. In the past, she was a clutch shooter. That's all I got.

Maybe experience. She's probably a better defender right now than AM... faster feet, longer arms. JR's shooting has declined - going 1-9 a couple of games. In the past, she was a clutch shooter. That's all I got.

Jordan Reynolds has never been a clutch shooter. Her career shooting is probably around 35% from the floor and under 25% from the arc.

She can't consistently shoot from anywhere on the court, including shots in the paint.

Reactions: 2 people

Experience is overrated, when its not producing, just like talent when they are not playing hard, I'm not saying Middleton should be the starter but certainly not Jordan.

The past, what has Jordan done for the Lady Vols lately.

Its not sending the right message to the team, she has to be doing everything else good or great, and she's not, as a player, that would piss me off, Jordan Reynolds, her play and leadership has been dismal her senior year.

And this is the player she is... she's been this player for four years... 36% shooter for 2 fg,and 26% from the 3, that's career.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 9.43.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 9.43.25 PM.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Experience is overrated, when its not producing, just like talent when they are not playing hard, I'm not saying Middleton should be the starter but certainly not Jordan.

Its not sending the right message to the team, she has to be doing everything else good or great, and she's not, as a player, that would piss me off, Jordan Reynolds, her play and leadership has been dismal her senior year.

And this is the player she is... she's been this player for four years... 36% shooter for 2 fg,and 26% from the 3, that's career.

Don't disagree, P4L. Was just scratching my head with you. She may be a calming presence on the floor or have a stronger voice to get team in the right place. ??Dunno.

P4L....I am impressed

I was impressed with Jordan's play today vs Stanford. She & HW had a private film session. Looked like a different Jordan out there.

She took a whole lot of shots. Which is what she has to do if she's going to score. Today her percentage was 40% overall and 25% from three. That's about in-line with her career averages, maybe slightly better. I assume Holly has told her to shoot more in an effort to open up the inside and to take the heat off DD. She better hit some of those shots.

I really wish she would penetrate. Outside of DD, no one on this team can successfully take the ball to the hoop.

I watched the last of the Va Tech win over Auburn. Man oh man was Chanette Hicks driving to the hoop. Auburn couldn't stop her. A penetrator is such a valuable asset.

She took a whole lot of shots. Which is what she has to do if she's going to score. Today her percentage was 40% overall and 25% from three. That's about in-line with her career averages, maybe slightly better. I assume Holly has told her to shoot more in an effort to open up the inside and to take the heat off DD. She better hit some of those shots.

I really wish she would penetrate. Outside of DD, no one on this team can successfully take the ball to the hoop.

I watched the last of the Va Tech win over Auburn. Man oh man was Chanette Hicks driving to the hoop. Auburn couldn't stop her. A penetrator is such a valuable asset.

Lack of drive and dish has been a big problem for Tennessee, as you pointed out.

Jordan had a strong first half, but seems her shooting went back to her average results in the second half. Still, at least if she shoots the ball with rebounders in position, there's always an opportunity for second-chance points.

Speaking of quick guards that can penetrate, Tennessee had better be ready for Jania McKay from Auburn. She was like a Hicks clone and was nearly unstoppable. She has a great mid-range pull up.

VN Store

Back