who's predicting a double digit win over UF

Yeah, McElwain's under no pressure. He could win as few as 8 this year, and still be totally safe.

Except if a dentist happens to walk by while he's smiling. :eek:hmy:

Seriously JP. I think McElwain is an excellent coach, but that cat has got to mix in some whitening strips. While he's at it, put some damn socks on with his suit and dress shoes....what's that all about?

Reactions: 1 person
We have gave them the last 2 games so we cant count on a win until we finally win one. Have Mercy let us get rid of the NONKEY!!! If we were on a 2 game winning streak with them ( like we should be) then I might say we are going to throttle them!!!

Brian Cox Jr, Caleb Brantley, CC Jefferson, Joey Ivie, Jordan Sherit, Khairi Clark, Taven Bryan, Keivonnis Davis, Justus Reed all return and all have extensive playing time. In addition, they expect huge things from Luke Ancrum and Jabari Zuniga, both coming off redshirts. That's 11 guys. And none of them are stiffs.

Extensive? I've heard of first 5. You've made my point.

Reactions: 2 people
McElwain isn't lowering expectations at all. He exceeded them last year with a team many expected to win no more than 7 games.

If we don't win 10 games this year I seriously doubt it spells doom for McElwain, or causes a reasonable person to question the direction of the program.

Mediocre recruiting will spell his doom.

When's the last time Florida went 3 straight years without a top 10 class? And what happens if yall have another ho hum recruiting class.

I like McElwain the coach. McElwain the recruiter leaves alot to be desired.

Florida will not be bad, but UT is light years better at almost every position this year---florida has a bunch of gaps on offense and defense from poor recruiting and transfers. This game could get ugly early.

I concur with everything, except for the last four words. I expect our defense to hear about all of the missed tackles in last years game and I expect our defense to be reminded of the 230 plus yards that Hurd and Dobbs gained in last years game. I bet they have been hearing it all summer and Collins (DC)

Gators 27-9

Very true, I know the UF coaches will be pounding it in their players' heads about how many missed tackles they had, particularly on Dobbs.

I can tell you this, I was at the UF - UT game last year and was shocked at Dobbs' strength and size. Tv doesn't do him justice. I knew he was a good runner, average passer, but he was wayyyy stronger/faster/powerful than I realized. I suspect Florida players were shocked too, and after last year where they saw Dobbs break numerous tackles on many long runs, they will be ready to make tackles this year.

Florida will not be bad, but UT is light years better at almost every position this year---florida has a bunch of gaps on offense and defense from poor recruiting and transfers. This game could get ugly early.

That's just talk. Does UT have a better WR duo than Callaway and Powell (when healthy). Does UT have a better secondary than UF? Sutton and Tabor push, but then you have Wilson and Maye for UF who are elite. Jarrad Davis is the best LB on either team, period. The only position where UT clearly has better, or more proven players is RB and QB. Here's how I'd rank it:

QB - UT
RB - UT
OL - UF
WR - UF because of Callaway and Powell
TE - push, average and unproven on both teams
DL - push (studs on both teams, Tuttle/Barnett/McKenzie for UT, Cox Jr/Brantley/Ivie for UF) and I know there are several other players for both teams
LB - UF (Jarrad Davis is a freak and should already be on an NFL roster)
DB - UF
ST - UT

That's three for UT, three for UF and a couple of pushes.

I concur with everything, except for the last four words. I expect our defense to hear about all of the missed tackles in last years game and I expect our defense to be reminded of the 230 plus yards that Hurd and Dobbs gained in last years game. I bet they have been hearing it all summer and Collins (DC) will remind them for the next 8 weeks.

Gators 27-9

Lmao. You should bet the house on that.

Extensive? I've heard of first 5. You've made my point.

That's interesting because Clark was playing a ton at the end of last year and Taven Bryan was a starter before getting dinged-up. Maybe you should actually know the roster of an opponent before you comment on how good or bad it is. Heck, I forgot to mention that UF signed the #2 DE in the country, 5-stay Antonneous Clayton. You can count him, or not, up to you.

That's just talk. Does UT have a better WR duo than Callaway and Powell (when healthy). Does UT have a better secondary than UF? Sutton and Tabor push, but then you have Wilson and Maye for UF who are elite. Jarrad Davis is the best LB on either team, period. The only position where UT clearly has better, or more proven players is RB and QB. Here's how I'd rank it:

QB - UT
RB - UT
OL - UF
DL - push (studs on both teams, Tuttle/Barnett/McKenzie for UT, Cox Jr/Brantley/Ivie for UF) and I know there are several other players for both teams
DB - UF
ST - UT

Jarrod Davis and JRM are push. UT d line especially with depth is better than FL.

Now let's get to the ridiculous comment that Florida has the better ol. With us returning all but one starter on a team that rushed for as many yards is it did, I find it hard to believe that you could justify in any way putting Florida's line ahead of Tennessee's

Mediocre recruiting will spell his doom.

When's the last time Florida went 3 straight years without a top 10 class? And what happens if yall have another ho hum recruiting class.

I like McElwain the coach. McElwain the recruiter leaves alot to be desired.

What site are you looking at? Let's go with Rivals:

2013 - 4th
2014 - 8th
2015 - 23rd (class was 100th+ with about 3 weeks left til NSD).
2016 - 14th

You're assuming 2017 will be outside the top 10? That's doubtful, but if it happens we can discuss it. Until then, where's the 3rd year? I think most UF fans are pleased with Mac's recruiting so far, the o-line and WR's are world's better after just 2 classes and he's got some big-timers at QB (Felipe Franks and Jake Allen). Florida would recruit well if you were the coach.

QB - UT
RB - UT
OL - UF
DB - UF
ST - UT

This is how I would rank it.

QB - UT
RB - UT
OL - UT - We only replace one player with a redshirt freshman 5 Star. Strongest center and guards in the East no doubt. Honestly don't see how you could justify Florida with the edge here.

Wr - Push - Callaway and Powell vs. Josh Malone and Preston Williams. I at least could see where you're coming from here though.

TE - UT - Ethan Wolf is far from average. Croom is the question mark with a high ceiling.

DL - Push - I want to go with UT because I know what potential guys like Kyle Phillips and D Miller have but until Tuttle is healthy and Kongbo proves it on the field a push is fair. I do think Barnett is clearly the best linemen on either team though.

LB - Push - Jarrad Davis is a stud but so is Reeves-Maybin and when it's all said and done this year everyone that follows football will know who Darrin Kirkland Jr. is. I think he's better than JRM.

DB - UF - Not even convinced here. Replacing two top twenty players in the same secondary is not easy I don't care what the situation. But we have more question marks until we see Gaulden in action, so sure Florida has the edge for now.

ST - UT - except for place kicking.

that's just talk. Does ut have a better wr duo than callaway and powell (when healthy). Does ut have a better secondary than uf? Sutton and tabor push, but then you have wilson and maye for uf who are elite. Jarrad davis is the best lb on either team, period. The only position where ut clearly has better, or more proven players is rb and qb. Here's how i'd rank it:

Qb - ut
rb - ut
ol - uf
wr - uf because of callaway and powell
te - push, average and unproven on both teams
dl - push (studs on both teams, tuttle/barnett/mckenzie for ut, cox jr/brantley/ivie for uf) and i know there are several other players for both teams
lb - uf (jarrad davis is a freak and should already be on an nfl roster)
db - uf
st - ut

that's three for ut, three for uf and a couple of pushes.

😂

Now let's get to the ridiculous comment that Florida has the better ol. With us returning all but one starter on a team that rushed for as many yards is it did, I find it hard to believe that you could justify in any way putting Florida's line ahead of Tennessee's

Florida returns all but one starter too, and I think David Sharpe and Martez Ivey are the best two o-linemen on either team. When these teams played head to head last year, minus out the trick play pass to Dobbs and a few long broken play runs by Dobbs, UT did very little. Their best offensive plays had to do with Dobbs' athleticism and a heckuva call on a trick play, not the o-line. Hurd was pedestrian, averaged 3.6 yards per carry, Kamara 3.2. UF's Kelvin Taylor averaged 5.4 yards per carry and remember on the Callaway TD, the UF freshmen on the o-line gave Grier about an hour to make a play.

I stand by my UF pick.

Florida returns all but one starter too, and I think David Sharpe and Martez Ivey are the best two o-linemen on either team. When these teams played head to head last year, minus out the trick play pass to Dobbs and a few long broken play runs by Dobbs, UT did very little. Their best offensive plays had to do with Dobbs' athleticism and a heckuva call on a trick play, not the o-line. Hurd was pedestrian, averaged 3.6 yards per carry, Kamara 3.2. UF's Kelvin Taylor averaged 5.4 yards per carry and remember on the Callaway TD, the UF freshmen on the o-line gave Grier about an hour to make a play.

I stand by my UF pick.

Your oline only had to block three guys. Congrats lol. I don't think the success of that play is due to the line play.

Wr - Push - Callaway and Powell vs. Josh Malone and Preston Williams.

TE - UT - Ethan Wolf is far from average. Croom is the question mark with a high ceiling.

I respect your comments, good thoughts. Just a few more observations. Callaway is special. The guy torched every elite SEC team he faced with either a huge play at WR or as a returner. TD's against UT, UGA, Ole Miss, LSU and Bama, and spectacular TD's. He alone gives UF the edge at WR.

Sorry, but Ethan Wolf is imminently average. In fact, Florida's top rerurning TE Deandre Goolsby had more catches and TD's than Wolf and he wasn't even the starter.

That's interesting because Clark was playing a ton at the end of last year and Taven Bryan was a starter before getting dinged-up. Maybe you should actually know the roster of an opponent before you comment on how good or bad it is. Heck, I forgot to mention that UF signed the #2 DE in the country, 5-stay Antonneous Clayton. You can count him, or not, up to you.

Bryan = 3 solo tackles and 0.5 sacks
Clark = 4 solo and 1 sack all against FAU

So you actually have 4 game experience players on d-line. I stand corrected with my suggestion you had 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

QB - UT
RB - UT
OL - UF
DB - UF
ST - UT

Not sure where you're getting the edges you gave to UF on OL, WR, LB.

FL is returning 46 starts from their worst OL in recent memory (46 sks, 127 rypg) so surely improved but obviously a year behind our OL development. UT edge.

WR is a wash, UT obviously has the more talent (albeit less production - tied into the QB) while UF has 1 very good WR, then some guys.

At LB UT has a potential 2nd round pick in JRM, Kirkland is even more talented, solid reserves, and high upside underclassmen. For UF, Davis is a preseason 1st team All American, there's a seemingly talented Anzalone but has played 22 tot. games as a SR (with 16 tckls), then a whole lot of unknown. UT edge.

At TE UT returns about 1000 tot yds from last 2Y, UF returns 200. UT edge.

DL, UT essentially loses no one, while UF loses their top 2 linemen. UT has also added a high profile guy in Kongbo, and gets Kyle Phillips back from injury. Loss of Shy hurts, but very well may be back for UF game. UT edge.

UF's only advantage is DB's, and the difference may not be that great.

Reactions: 3 people

I stand by my UF pick.

Lololol. We run for over 250 but save some "trick" plays we couldn't do anything. Comical. By the way the trick plays were pass plays. Hilariously innaccurate. Coleman Thomas or Jashon Roberson is the best OL on either team FYI

Bryan = 3 solo tackles and 0.5 sacks
Clark = 4 solo and 1 sack all against FAU

So you actually have 4 game experience players on d-line. I stand corrected with my suggestion you had 5.

Huh? Not following you. Tons of experience amongst these guys: Cox, Jefferson, Brantley, Sherit, Ivie, Bryan, over multiple seasons. That's 6 guys. Less experience, but plenty of reps in SEC play for Clark and Davis. That's 8. If you're looking for huge stats from Clark, you wont see it. He's about 6'2" 330lbs. He's a run-stuffer type, plugs holes and keeps people off the LB's. Same for Taven Bryan. Then two RS freshmen guys who the coaches think will be killers; Ancrum and Zuniga. Then the 5-star true freshman DE. So, go ahead and think UF's D-line is scrub city. You'll be one of the ones scratching your head from the stands looking like a complete dope in total shock when the game is 20-17 with 2 minutes left.

Lololol. We run for over 250 but save some "trick" plays we couldn't do anything. Comical. By the way the trick plays were pass plays. Hilariously innaccurate. Coleman Thomas or Jashon Roberson is the best OL on either team FYI

I hate to break it to you but that was the Josh Dobbs show last year. He was a total stud, breaking tackles and making scramble plays. The o-line was extremely average. Hurd had a 21 yard run which actually padded his stats, without that he's like 2.8 ypc. Kamara was invisible.

I hate to break it to you but that was the Josh Dobbs show last year. He was a total stud, breaking tackles and making scramble plays. The o-line was extremely average. Hurd had a 21 yard run which actually padded his stats, without that he's like 2.8 ypc. Kamara was invisible.

Kamara was invisible because he barely played. He was criminally underutilized in the first half of the season. He only touched the ball 8 times, 5 rushing, 3 receiving. He had 33 yards in those receptions tho. That won't happen this year bud, you can take that to the bank. He will be much more involved. And Dobbs, yeah he was awesome running, but couldn't throw at all that game. He just didn't have it in the passing game but did what he had to do score and played a good game. All the talk is that he has greatly improved his passing. With a healthy receiving core this year, he'll do a lot more than just run. That will open the game up for Hurd as well. Y'all aren't ready.

I respect your comments, good thoughts. Just a few more observations. Callaway is special. The guy torched every elite SEC team he faced with either a huge play at WR or as a returner. TD's against UT, UGA, Ole Miss, LSU and Bama, and spectacular TD's. He alone gives UF the edge at WR.

Sorry, but Ethan Wolf is imminently average. In fact, Florida's top rerurning TE Deandre Goolsby had more catches and TD's than Wolf and he wasn't even the starter.

Alright, I concede that Callaway has proven a lot more to this point. I just have a lot of hope in Preston Williams and I think Malone can be top notch as well.

Ethan Wolf's lack of production is not due to ability but rather scheme. If he gets the opportunity he has shown he can make big time plays across the middle of the field. Its actually the one improvement in scheme I want to see most out of our offense. Larry Scott should be able to get Wolf as well as Croom more involved this coming year.

Back to receivers, it would appear that there will be a battle between either Callaway and Sutton or Williams and Tabor going on the majority of the game. How do you see that playing out? I actually would give the edge to the corners and say the second and third receivers will need to get it done for both teams.

VN Store

Back