who's predicting a double digit win over UF

Butch Jones is better and it's not even close. Swamp Donkey is going to be exposed this year.

If UT is superior to UF talent wise, which is a valid argument, how can McElwain be "exposed" for losing to a superior team?

Pressure is all on Butch not to do what Butch has consistently done in big games the past couple years....or "unexpose" himself if you will.

Reactions: 2 people
If UT is superior to UF talent wise, which is a valid argument, how can McElwain be "exposed" for losing to a superior team?

Pressure is all on Butch not to do what Butch has consistently done in big games the past couple years....or "unexpose" himself if you will.

I think he meant more of "exposed" as far as a whole season. Idk. I see you guys beating Georgia most likely so it should be a decent season regardless of the Tennessee game.

I don't think Mcelwain is a bad coach. Just think his an a$$hat and wish he would take a trip to the dentist once every few years.

I think he meant more of "exposed" as far as a whole season. Idk. I see you guys beating Georgia most likely so it should be a decent season regardless of the Tennessee game.

I don't think Mcelwain is a bad coach. Just think his an a$$hat and wish he would take a trip to the dentist once every few years.

And I'd argue a team with higher expectations going into the season has the greater chance of being "exposed" if those expectations aren't met.

UF looks like a 8-4 or 9-3 squad this season...2nd or worst case 3rd in the East. If UT beats UF, those expectations don't change.

If UT loses to UF again...hoo boy...

Reactions: 1 person
And I'd argue a team with higher expectations going into the season has the greater chance of being "exposed" if those expectations aren't met.

UF looks like a 8-4 or 9-3 squad this season...2nd or worst case 3rd in the East. If UT beats UF, those expectations don't change.

I agree. There is however pressure on UF. Your players have talked an incredible amount of smack and need to back that up now or be exposed as overconfident, big mouth, asshats. They are also the ones bringing up the streak so obviously it is important to them and your coach.

You might not be devastated by that loss but if it happens your program will.

Reactions: 3 people

Butch took a major step in correcting what to me was the main issue in the losses last season to UF, UO, and UA - not being able to stop teams late in games on critical downs. He went out and hired a top flight DC who is of a much more aggressive mindset than Jancek was. Plus I think the secondary players who were the culprits in the early season collapses to UF and UO, Moseley and Foreman, got considerably better over the course of the season as they gained valuable experience.

Butch made some mistakes as well, sure, but he is a good coach who has proven at previous stops he knows how to win. Like all HCs, he self-evaluates at the end of every season, which is one reason Shoop was brought in.

I'm not concerned at all about those early season collapses in 2015. I think in the long run they made the coaches and the players mentally tougher.

Exposed as a coach that is comfortable with lowering expectations enough to be satisfied with an 8-4 regular season. Even with how y'all finished, last year was considered a success and exceeded expectations. Set the bar low enough and it's easy to step over no need to jump higher.

Watch out for Kentucky, they play y'all tough.

Please name the 9 deep on the d-line. I am dying to see this. Every school is 9 deep on the line. Quality is quite a different argument.

Brian Cox Jr, Caleb Brantley, CC Jefferson, Joey Ivie, Jordan Sherit, Khairi Clark, Taven Bryan, Keivonnis Davis, Justus Reed all return and all have extensive playing time. In addition, they expect huge things from Luke Ancrum and Jabari Zuniga, both coming off redshirts. That's 11 guys. And none of them are stiffs.

Last edited:
I don't doubt his talent, and he may prove to be a great one at UF. However, he has no real starting experience, and just like any new QB, is going to have to experience growing pains in the SEC, and games against UMass, UK and NTSU are not going to prepare him for the pressure he will see from Shoops and the UT defense.

I think the point has been made, Grier didn't have much starting experience last year either, and he looked great v UT. But even more, Treon Harris had ZERO starting experience in 2014 and came in and won, and in 2013 some guy named Tyler Murphy who had basically never taken a snap came in and won. Plus, UT will presumably be Del Rio's 4th start as UF plays three games before UT, including a SEC game v Kentucky. UT will be favored and should win, but I predict another nailbiter.

Exposed as a coach that is comfortable with lowering expectations enough to be satisfied with an 8-4 regular season. Even with how y'all finished, last year was considered a success and exceeded expectations. Set the bar low enough and it's easy to step over no need to jump higher.

Watch out for Kentucky, they play y'all tough.

McElwain isn't lowering expectations at all. He exceeded them last year with a team many expected to win no more than 7 games.

If we don't win 10 games this year I seriously doubt it spells doom for McElwain, or causes a reasonable person to question the direction of the program.

McElwain isn't lowering expectations at all. He exceeded them last year with a team many expected to win no more than 7 games.

If we don't win 10 games this year I seriously doubt it spells doom for McElwain, or causes a reasonable person to question the direction of the program.

Yeah, McElwain's under no pressure. He could win as few as 8 this year, and still be totally safe.

Except if a dentist happens to walk by while he's smiling. :eek:hmy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCompagnucci View Post
UF's offense will be dramatically better this year than last, better at every single position, excpet maybe TE where they lost McGee, but return two solid guys. They got the #1 Juco RB in the country in Mark Thompson, a guy that goes 6'2" 240. Their O-line returns everyone, those 3 true Freshmen OL who were in the game for the Callaway TD v UT last year are all grown up now. They get their best WR back in Callaway plus a whole bunch of other typical UF guys to choose from.

Their defense will be just as good as last year, studs everywhere. This game will be an absolute battle, probably very similar to last year.

Will not be a battle. TN is better at every position on offense, that's just a fact. TN is better on defense on the DL, at linebacker and potentially at safety. Vols also have best special teams in the country. Florida's offense was garbage last year without Grier. I'm sure Del Rio is better than Harris (who isn't?) but who knows, he's barely played. Won't come into Neyland and face this defense and win. Who knows about your Juco running back, but our 6'4 240 lb RB is one of the best in the country, and better than Florida's, not to mention Kamara as our 1b. TN is just better than Florida. That's a fact.

This is what the SEC is about, imo -- battles BETWEEN each other. Last year's AL game was the way it ought to be -- back and forth, b/c both are strong -- but now it's our time to bring home the big W's.

I have to believe FL is going to be strong. Here's to it being a close game, with us being the stronger and walking to the locker room with the W.

I think the point has been made, Grier didn't have much starting experience last year either, and he looked great v UT. But even more, Treon Harris had ZERO starting experience in 2014 and came in and won, and in 2013 some guy named Tyler Murphy who had basically never taken a snap came in and won. Plus, UT will presumably be Del Rio's 4th start as UF plays three games before UT, including a SEC game v Kentucky. UT will be favored and should win, but I predict another nailbiter.

I concur with everything, except for the last four words. I expect our defense to hear about all of the missed tackles in last years game and I expect our defense to be reminded of the 230 plus yards that Hurd and Dobbs gained in last years game. I bet they have been hearing it all summer and Collins (DC) will remind them for the next 8 weeks.

Gators 27-9

Brian Cox Jr, Caleb Brantley, CC Jefferson, Joey Ivie, Jordan Sherit, Khairi Clark, Taven Bryan, Keivonnis Davis, Justus Reed all return and all have extensive playing time. In addition, they expect huge things from Luke Ancrum and Jabari Zuniga, both coming off redshirts. That's 11 guys. And none of them are stiffs.

They are not good at stopping the run. End of story.

I concur with everything, except for the last four words. I expect our defense to hear about all of the missed tackles in last years game and I expect our defense to be reminded of the 230 plus yards that Hurd and Dobbs gained in last years game. I bet they have been hearing it all summer and Collins (DC) will remind them for the next 8 weeks.

Gators 27-9

Our offensive line is light years better than last year. If anything you will give up more yards on the ground. The Gators gave up plenty of rushing yards to lesser teams.

I beg to differ. Grier most definitely did not look great against UT. Through the first 3 qtrs. of the game he was 12-24 for a pedestrian 142 yds. He was hurried 14 times and sacked 3 times during that stretch, and that was with Maggitt out and Vereen not yet emerging as a passrusher. Grier threw for 141 yds in the 4th qtr, but 63 of those yds was on UF's last play from scrimmage, which as we all know was a 4th and 14 where Jancek yet again failed to bring pressure on 4th down when pressure had gotten to Grier through the entire first 3 quarters. So UT actually made him look pretty average when they brought pressure. I'm pretty sure Shoop will not be using a spy on Del Rio, so it remains to be seen how he will handle intense pressure.

And in 2014 Treon Harris was 2-4 for 14 yds passing with I believe 42 yds rushing. It was Worley's 3 INTs and a fumble inside the UT 30 that lost that game, not Harris winning the game. I will give Harris credit for avoiding TOs in that game though.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. Grier most definitely did not look great against UT. Through the first 3 qtrs. of the game he was 12-24 for a pedestrian 142 yds. He was hurried 14 times and sacked 3 times during that stretch, and that was with Maggitt out and Vereen not yet emerging as a passrusher. Grier threw for 141 yds in the 4th qtr, but 63 of those yds was on UF's last play from scrimmage, which as we all know was a 4th and 14 where Jancek yet again failed to bring pressure on 4th down when pressure had gotten to Grier through the entire first 3 quarters. So UT actually made him look pretty average when they brought pressure. I'm pretty sure Shoop will not be using a spy on Del Rio, so it remains to be seen how he will handle intense pressure.

And in 2014 Treon Harris was 2-4 for 14 yds passing with I believe 42 yds rushing. It was Worley's 3 INTs and a fumble inside the UT 30 that lost that game, not Harris winning the game. I will give Harris credit for avoiding TOs in that game though.

Dont forget, he was 5 for 5 for 123 yards and a TD, when it counted - on 4th down.

Gators 27-9

Hilarious. 27-9? What from the last 2 years suggests you will beat us by almost three touchdowns? Ill hang up and listen.

Look, the gators have won 11 straight. We get it. It has come during the biggest time of turmoil UT has ever faced coupled with the Gators landing one of the best College Football coaches of all time to pair with one of the greatest players (Tebow) of all time. The recruiting with Miami and FSU down only helped stack your roster year after year. With FSU returning to some prominence it took a little hit but not much. The fact is though most gator fans dismiss last year as "us missing tackles and UT scoring on trick plays." Lets forget the fact that UT rushed for over 250 yards and had its highest rushing season output in 60 some odd years and we return EVERYONE minus our LT from this performance. The dismissal of talent on UT's team is mind boggling. Its either ignorance or a simple immature refusal to admit. Its ok for me to say the Gators still have a lot of talent. Its also ok for you as a gator to realize you squeaked out of the game last year with an improbable comeback and now face coming to Neyland to face a team a year stronger and better who have to replace literally no key positions.

Based on what we know of both teams its more likely UT wins 27-9 because Luke Del Rio is a gamble at this point. He could be like Grier or Treon and the truth is no gator fan really knows and furthermore no gator fan will know until he is on the road for the first time in his career in a hostile environment facing what could be the best front 7 he will face all year.

I expect our defense to hear about all of the missed tackles in last years game and I expect our defense to be reminded of the 230 plus yards that Hurd and Dobbs gained in last years game. I bet they have been hearing it all summer and Collins (DC) will remind them for the next 8 weeks.

Yes, and he should remind them every day, and while they sleep. Has anything changed in our backfield, in your favor? Do you suppose our OL and receivers are more experienced this year?

I agree. As long as he is winning 8 or 9 games a year gator fans will not only be satisfied but will be happy. That is called lowering expectations.

If you win fewer games this year vs last year there is no question what direction y'all are heading, a downward spiral like a toilet bowl.

Gators 27-9

:lolabove: :loco:

Dont forget, he was 5 for 5 for 123 yards and a TD, when it counted - on 4th down.

How can I forget it? But that is pretty much what I said. Jancek for some reason did not bring pressure on 4th downs when pressure had caused Grier to struggle for the entire game. If it comes down to 4th downs again I don't expect Shoop to back off the pressure as Jancek did.

VN Store

Back