who's predicting a double digit win over UF

Not arguing you should be favored, but better at every position? Really? Phil Steele's pre-season All American team had three gators on the first team defense: Tabor, Maye, and Davis. So you honestly think UT is better at those positions ?

Phil Steele also has national position rankings. In those we are ahead of UF at DL and LB. Take it as you will.

Wow, before reading this thread I thought this was going to be a close game. But now I realize UF is starting Vandy rejects. Doesn't seem fair since apparently team 120 whooped the Patriots this summer.

tumblr_ngaocadpjQ1s58xblo1_400.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Vols will beat the Gators easily this year.

Butch has assembled the most talent on the Hill since 2001. The same season when Tennessee marched into the Swamp and beat one of the best UF teams of all time despite (laughably) being 20+ point underdogs.

Vols are a complete team across the board. On the other side, UF has a few good players on defense, one good WR, and that's about it.

So....2001 Vols vs roughly the 2003-2004 (or 2014) Gators.

Won't be pretty for the reptiles. Streak ends in anti-climactic fashion. A half-hearted, mostly bored celebration starts midway through the 3rd quarter and QD is taking snaps with about 18 minutes left in the game.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion, but this is what makes it fun being a fan. Don't take my word for it, take this; Florida has two DL on preseason All-SEC teams (Cox and Jefferson), UT has one (Barnett). And the surprising thing is, UF folks will tell you Caleb Brantley is the most dominating D-lineman on the team, in the mold of Dominique Easley. Recruiting stars are irrelevant, but we'll go there too since you said something about UF's "3-stars". UF's projected starters, stars according to Rivals:
Jefferson - 5 star
Brantley - 4 star
Ivie - 4 star
Cox Jr - 3 star
Ironically, Cox was the lowest rated but has probably been the most dominant v UT. I know he has 3 or 4 sacks v UT in the games he's played, several hurries, a big fumble recovery last year (nearly returned for a td). UF's depth players were also highly rated: Sherit - 4 star, Clark - 4 star, Clayton - 5 star.

This stuff is easily verifiable, just go look. Feeling great about your team is awesome, but here's what so many fans dont get: many teams have good/great players. Many teams have awesome weight rooms and players who work out like madmen. So for every dude on your team has that looks like a beast, there are about 9 other teams in the league with dudes who look exactly like that.

UT has great players, and definitely has a shot this year. So does Florida.

Sorry man, I added up ALL the defensive and offensive line recruits star ranking for the last three years for FL, TN, and KY. The bottom line is that Florida is closer to Kentucky in talent at these positions then they are Tennessee. I used Rivals rankings if you want to have a look at it yourself.

Running the ball, scrambling, option-offense, yes. Passing the ball, he's probably not even the best on his own roster, let alone Florida's.

You may be right, Jarrett Guarantano is probably going to be a thorn in your side over the next 4 years for sure. But, I still stand by my statement. None of UF's QB's are as good as Dobbs. Not even the statue Del Rio.

del rio will have a long day against the angry Vols D! Look for 2-3 interceptions and maybe an early pick 6 to get the crowd juiced. The dude's not that good.

This by a ton. Florida has no quality depth on defense, QB, WR, TE or OL. Their first string is okay but a few injuries could put them back at 5-6 wins.

This is the same for you all. You are one injury away to Dobbs to be a 7-5 team as well. Depth but no experience besides the starters.

This is the same for you all. You are one injury away to Dobbs to be a 7-5 team as well. Depth but no experience besides the starters.

Totally disagree. If Dobbs went down, I feel confident that Dormady or Jones could take over. We may see a drop in total rushing yards per game, but that will be compensated by an improved passing game. I don't think we'd be -as good- without Dobbs, but no way we'd still drop 5 games. We're talented and experienced on both sides of the ball, and even without Dobbs we'd still have the best RB tandem in CFB in the backfield.

Reactions: 1 person
Totally disagree. If Dobbs went down, I feel confident that Dormady or Jones could take over. We may see a drop in total rushing yards per game, but that will be compensated by an improved passing game. I don't think we'd be -as good- without Dobbs, but no way we'd still drop 5 games. We're talented and experienced on both sides of the ball, and even without Dobbs we'd still have the best RB tandem in CFB in the backfield.

And your passing game will improve

And your passing game will improve
Eh. Its hard to say how much. QD has gotten some mop time but essentially no time against 1s from the better defenses. The passing game would probably be better but Im not sure it covers what you lose with Dobbs legs yet.

That's just talk. Does UT have a better WR duo than Callaway and Powell (when healthy). Does UT have a better secondary than UF? Sutton and Tabor push, but then you have Wilson and Maye for UF who are elite. Jarrad Davis is the best LB on either team, period. The only position where UT clearly has better, or more proven players is RB and QB. Here's how I'd rank it:

QB - UT
RB - UT
OL - UF
WR - UF because of Callaway and Powell
TE - push, average and unproven on both teams
DL - push (studs on both teams, Tuttle/Barnett/McKenzie for UT, Cox Jr/Brantley/Ivie for UF) and I know there are several other players for both teams
LB - UF (Jarrad Davis is a freak and should already be on an NFL roster)
DB - UF
ST - UT

That's three for UT, three for UF and a couple of pushes.

This unbiased source says we have a better WR corps.

College Football's Top 40 Wide Receiver Groups for 2016

I struggle to see how opposing teams don't see the depth we have behind 3 highly ranked recruiting classes.

Our third string linebackers and second string corners rendered your offense useless in the second half. Your lack of depth showed big in the second half as your players ran out of gas. Just like I said they would.

What I didn't foresee was our WR's taking your DB's to the woodshed. I did predict you wouldn't run the ball with your slow RB's.

Huh? Not following you. Tons of experience amongst these guys: Cox, Jefferson, Brantley, Sherit, Ivie, Bryan, over multiple seasons. That's 6 guys. Less experience, but plenty of reps in SEC play for Clark and Davis. That's 8. If you're looking for huge stats from Clark, you wont see it. He's about 6'2" 330lbs. He's a run-stuffer type, plugs holes and keeps people off the LB's. Same for Taven Bryan. Then two RS freshmen guys who the coaches think will be killers; Ancrum and Zuniga. Then the 5-star true freshman DE. So, go ahead and think UF's D-line is scrub city. You'll be one of the ones scratching your head from the stands looking like a complete dope in total shock when the game is 20-17 with 2 minutes left.

Has this guy showed back up yet. It appears Brantley is all you got on that D-line and your coaches couldn't even get home when they brought 5 and six against our average OL.

Like I said, y'all look great against weak opponents. It appears your defense is vastly overrated and lacks depth.

Not sure where you're getting the edges you gave to UF on OL, WR, LB.

FL is returning 46 starts from their worst OL in recent memory (46 sks, 127 rypg) so surely improved but obviously a year behind our OL development. UT edge.

WR is a wash, UT obviously has the more talent (albeit less production - tied into the QB) while UF has 1 very good WR, then some guys.

At LB UT has a potential 2nd round pick in JRM, Kirkland is even more talented, solid reserves, and high upside underclassmen. For UF, Davis is a preseason 1st team All American, there's a seemingly talented Anzalone but has played 22 tot. games as a SR (with 16 tckls), then a whole lot of unknown. UT edge.

At TE UT returns about 1000 tot yds from last 2Y, UF returns 200. UT edge.

DL, UT essentially loses no one, while UF loses their top 2 linemen. UT has also added a high profile guy in Kongbo, and gets Kyle Phillips back from injury. Loss of Shy hurts, but very well may be back for UF game. UT edge.

UF's only advantage is DB's, and the difference may not be that great.

We actually burnt FL's secondary worse than they burnt our so...UT edge at DB.

VN Store

Back