Candace Parker left off team USA for Rio olympics

Are you aware that, through most of its history, the Olympics welcomed almost anyone except those who played professionally?

And now you want to require that they play professionally?

Yes, I am quite aware. Too bad we can't return to that, and have all other countries play by that same rule.

Are there ANY countries whose top team can actually compare with the US women's team?

Yes, I am quite aware. Too bad we can't return to that, and have all other countries play by that same rule.

Are there ANY countries whose top team can actually compare with the US women's team?

So you agree that it is too bad we don't have an all-amateur Olympics, yet you propose to add a rule prohibiting amateurs. Why? (I'm really not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand the logic.)

a stinky satan

Yep, stinky for a reason...his hands have been all over Kim Mulkey's ass in a public arena! Rumor has it that he likes big boobies better though! If only he could clone Mulkey and Sheri Coale...he could have the best of both worlds! Hillary Clinton said she knows all about men who sometimes "wander off the reservation"...but Bill is a choir boy compared to the irresistible Geno...lol

Go ask Parker ... she knows.

Why would she know? You think Geno had the decency to reach out to her at all during this process?

I doubt she knows any more than we do, which is the lame "lotsa talented players" blah blah blah excuse we got from USA basketball. But we all have a pretty good idea what the real issue is....

Pat's actual quote would be more appropriate. Go ask Geno,he knows.

Why Geno? The decision was the committee's and Geno isn't the one who informed Parker, it was the committee chair. She made the decision.
LV fans were perfectly content with Pat passing the buck to Geno. So if it was good for Pat then ask Parker what the committee told her? She knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
So you agree that it is too bad we don't have an all-amateur Olympics, yet you propose to add a rule prohibiting amateurs. Why? (I'm really not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand the logic.)

Just brainstorming. I think it would be great if the Olympics were made up of all amateurs, but that genie won't ever go back.

While Stewie is a great player, and will be a terrific pro if she can/will fit into a team, I don't think in the present format she should be considered for our Olympic team. Or any other unproven (in the pros) player. No matter how great and successful, she is not Olympic-seasoned.

Many LV fans made up their minds about Geno when, instead of genuflecting to pat, he treated her like an opponent to be beaten. His job isn't to be well-liked, it's to be respected and to win. Outside of volnation he has accomplished both.

And there is a sizable group that see Parker as a prima donna who is more concerned about herself than her team. Posting a video of her dunking at UConn (in 2007?) on Instagram the other day wasn't the classiest of acts. More like what a spoiled child would do. Some say that her me-first attitude has a lot to do with why she hasn't led her team to a title since 2008.

Now I never met her and I don't form opinions based on hearsay.

I don't know about the respected part because in some circles like talk radio and print media he comes across as a thin skinned bully (see the Dan Shaughnessy), and is a polarizing figure. Some see him as a cheater too.

Perhaps the USA committee should consider a requirement that a player HAVE ACTUALLY PLAYED REAL, PRO BALL before being considered.

Or, on the other hand, limit the team to ONLY those who have begun playing pro ball since the last Olympics. That would give many more a chance.

Actually if you look at the USA National team since there was a thought of a pro league, it appears that the committee has just the opposite requirement - that every team it sends to a WC or Olympics have a college player or a college graduate or a 1 year pro.
Started with Lobo in 1996, and including four college players - Holdsclaw, Parker, Moore, and Stewart, all of who were selected to WC teams over WNBA allstars as college players, and then retained for the following Olympic team as college graduates. The other players were recent graduates and include Sims in 2014, Fowles in 2008, Chatchings and Bird in 2002, etc. Of the college players selected none have quite the resume of Stewart at the same age.

And while it is nice to look back at the 2012 Olympic team, the last USA NT was 2014 and the three players dropped from that team are Nneka, Sims, and Dupree and they have been replaced by Catchings, Fowles, EDD - the first two were members of the 2012 Olympic team and the 2010 WC team, and the last is the reigning WNBA POY. So strictly speaking, Parker hasn't been replaced in the NT by anyone - she was trying to get back into the team having missed the last competition and it appears EDD beat her out.

I don't know about the respected part because in some circles like talk radio and print media he comes across as a thin skinned bully (see the Dan Shaughnessy), and is a polarizing figure. Some see him as a cheater too.

Shaughnessy only said that UConn's dominance was bad for wcbb. If he made any comments about Geno I'd like a link.

The only member of the media that has had bad things to say about Geno is Maria, and as far as I'm concerned she's just an extension of the Tenn PR dept and has no right to called herself an unbiased member of the media.

Shaughnessy only said that UConn's dominance was bad for wcbb. If he made any comments about Geno I'd like a link.

The only member of the media that has had bad things to say about Geno is Maria, and as far as I'm concerned she's just an extension of the Tenn PR dept and has no right to called herself an unbiased member of the media.

Maria Cornelius? She has not worked for the KNS in at least 12 years. She is biased but so what? She is a Lady Vols fan who writes for other Lady Vol fans. It's not her job to be impartial. If you don't like it, don't read it. Do you think any Tennessee fans cared when Jeff Jacobs (or was it that loser Altavilla?) of the Hartford Courant called Pat Summitt a "bitter shrew" in 2010?

...and there are plenty of journalists who have taken note of Auriemma's snark and condescension over the years including his biographer Jackie MacMullan formerly of the Boston Globe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If Candace is off because of attitude then so should have been Angel. If Candace is off because of some "flaw" in her game then so should have been Augustus. If Candace is off because of her sponsor affiliation then so should have been ?. It comes down to this. If Geno would have preferred Candace to any one of the 12 selected, Candace would be on the team. It seems like 3 of 5 committee members values just happen to coincide with Geno's.

Is Geno a basketball genius? I'll give him his due. But like other geniuses Geno may have insecurities that could cast a negative shadow over otherwise brilliant accomplishments. He has a history of making negative comments exposing his insecurities. Graduating Duke players waitress at higher class restaurants for example. UConn fans defend that as his "Philly roots" Muffet McGraw has those same roots and Dawn Staley has strong Philly ties too. Neither of them make flippant insulting jabs.

This is just human nature at work. Flawed human nature. Is there another kind?
The waiter waitress comments were after the entire Cameron Crazies started a mantra about the UC men's BB team with chants and signs I believe. Geno's comment was when he was asked about that her behavior. And Muppet is classy- her and the entire team, except for Niele Ivey, turned their back and didn't clap or acknowledge Stewart winning player of the yr at the Final Four ceremony. Because McBride or Lloyd didn't win that year. Nice behavior for a fine Catholic Institution. Geno doesn't mince words. It's actually refreshing.

What does this have to do with Candace being offed from the team?
This was intended as an RSVP to coach Jumper- stating how classless Geno is for running up the scores. And some other inane reasons Geno is classless- over and above the obvious ones!!! :) I forgot to include the quote I was referring too- sorry!

The waiter waitress comments were after the entire Cameron Crazies started a mantra about the UC men's BB team with chants and signs I believe. Geno's comment was when he was asked about that her behavior. And Muppet is classy- her and the entire team, except for Niele Ivey, turned their back and didn't clap or acknowledge Stewart winning player of the yr at the Final Four ceremony. Because McBride or Lloyd didn't win that year. Nice behavior for a fine Catholic Institution. Geno doesn't mince words. It's actually refreshing.

That particular UConn myth has been debunked on more than one occasion, with actual video of both coach and team giving applause. My guess is that the fans who perpetuate the myth feel that the ND response wasn't sufficiently long or enthusiastic enough!

Jim

Reactions: 6 people
That particular UConn myth has been debunked on more than one occasion, with actual video of both coach and team giving applause. My guess is that the fans who perpetuate the myth feel that the ND response wasn't sufficiently long or enthusiastic enough!

Jim
I've seen the video more than once. Muffet sits in her chair right in front of the room with a stone face like the killer of her mother was just acquitted. I can't say anything about the rest of the team.

But it's no big deal to me. I respect her as a smart and imaginative coach and a tough competitor and that's really all I know or care about her.

This was intended as an RSVP to coach Jumper- stating how classless Geno is for running up the scores. And some other inane reasons Geno is classless- over and above the obvious ones!!! :) I forgot to include the quote I was referring too- sorry!

I am on my own thread because posting on the "recruiting and Candace" posts was brought to my attention as not being part of the subject matter, therefor in bad taste.

But for sake of argument:

Go back and look at their "impressive" schedule...Look at their conference in the Sagarin ratings: 1 uconn, 19 USF, 41 Temple, 70 Tulane, 101 memphis, 113 E Car, 129 SMU, 136 Tulsa, 212 UCF, 222 Cincy, 225 Houston. And how badly he beat them, knowing they were no competition. Cincy 107-45, SMU 90-37, Tulsa 94-30... If I am a 220 lb athlete and fighting a 98 lb nerd,,,, I've shown nothing. . . When they finally did get to play someone it was 20 and 30 point wins. Still impressive,but if they had had any competition throughout the year, they would come in beat up like the rest of the field.

Reactions: 1 person

Actually, no, Geno's comment was made after he lost Brittany Hunter to Duke. He then lashed out publicly as has been his history of doing.

"Refreshing"would have been Geno apologizing after Hunter transferred to UConn after her botched knee surgery

Last edited:
Maria Cornelius? She has not worked for the KNS in at least 12 years. She is biased but so what? She is a Lady Vols fan who writes for other Lady Vol fans. It's not her job to be impartial. If you don't like it, don't read it. Do you think any Tennessee fans cared when Jeff Jacobs (or was it that loser Altavilla?) of the Hartford Courant called Pat Summitt a "bitter shrew" in 2010?

...and there are plenty of journalists who have taken note of Auriemma's snark and condescension over the years including his biographer Jackie MacMullan formerly of the Boston Globe.

We have different opinions. Let's leave it at that.

The two things I stated in my post are facts and proves Geno has much more say then he should

Your post:

All the UCONN fans who defend Geno are missing the point. He admitted he has more influence than you are willing to acknowledge. He also admitted he told USA basketball that he wouldn't coach the team, unless Taurasi and Bird were on it. Parker is arguably one of the top 3 players in the world, she should be on our Olympic team. Period! The committee has not and will not address it beyond the standard BS.

Not true. He never told the committee, he told Bird and Taurasi, at a time soon after the 2012 games when they approached him to urge him to coach the NT again, that he would only consider it if they both went out for the team. Geno has said that he considered them as coaches on the floor.

Saying that Parker is "arguably" the best isn't a fact, it's an opinion. Of course you have a right to your opinion but that doesn't make it factual.

Your post:

Not true. He never told the committee, he told Bird and Taurasi, at a time soon after the 2012 games when they approached him to urge him to coach the NT again, that he would only consider it if they both went out for the team. Geno has said that he considered them as coaches on the floor.

"Went out for the team?" is THAT how it is done? Tryouts? I didn't think so.

Your post:

Saying that Parker is "arguably" the best isn't a fact, it's an opinion. Of course you have a right to your opinion but that doesn't make it factual.

Given what Geno said about Bird and Taurasi, came out in an article at all, shows he was clearly trying to send a message to the committee. I won't coach the team if the players I want aren't on it, and voila they are. He knew exactly what he was doing.

My comment about Parker was this: Parker is arguably one of the top 3 players in the world, So get my quote right before you argue it.

Your comment about Parker is just plain wrong. Every women's basketball fan, coach, and commentator knows that Parker is one of the 3 best players in the world. For you to argue that point shows how truly biased you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Given what Geno said about Bird and Taurasi, came out in an article at all, shows he was clearly trying to send a message to the committee. I won't coach the team if the players I want aren't on it, and voila they are. He knew exactly what he was doing.

My comment about Parker was this: Parker is arguably one of the top 3 players in the world, So get my quote right before you argue it.

Your comment about Parker is just plain wrong. Every women's basketball fan, coach, and commentator knows that Parker is one of the 3 best players in the world. For you to argue that point shows how truly biased you are.

You may think it's clear. But that doesn't make it a fact.

As far as the best 3 players, I would say that Griner, Parker, EDD, Moore and Taurasi could all be included in a list of the best 3 players. There may be more than those 5 but what's clear to me is that any one of that group being on that list is possible and reasonable.

But not factual.

You may think it's clear. But that doesn't make it a fact.

As far as the best 3 players, I would say that Griner, Parker, EDD, Moore and Taurasi could all be included in a list of the best 3 players. There may be more than those 5 but what's clear to me is that any one of that group being on that list is possible and reasonable.

But not factual.

Okay Linkster, I see the light. Candace Parker is a megalomaniac prima donna who no one likes and would never have even made the roster at Uconn, even at her very best. Her many awards, championships, and accolades are all due to political correctness, not merit. Her stellar career numbers are irrelevant hearsay and not facts because if she were that good, Geno would have chosen her for the team. Since she was not chosen, she is not that good. This "fact" is true by definition because Geno is a saint who rises about crass motivations and petty politics. Plus, the selection committee simply was looking out for the interest of US women's basketball and politics or bias played no role in CP3's omission.

Happy? Now, please go away........

Reactions: 3 people
I'm sorry but Griner is not on the same level as Parker Taurasi, or Moore, and EDD maybe some day soon but isn't yet, so I guess we do agree on Parker, Moore and Taurasi Hence my TOP 3

Okay Linkster, I see the light. Candace Parker is a megalomaniac prima donna who no one likes and would never have even made the roster at Uconn, even at her very best. Her many awards, championships, and accolades are all due to political correctness, not merit. Her stellar career numbers are irrelevant hearsay and not facts because if she were that good, Geno would have chosen her for the team. Since she was not chosen, she is not that good. This "fact" is true by definition because Geno is a saint who rises about crass motivations and petty politics. Plus, the selection committee simply was looking out for the interest of US women's basketball and politics or bias played no role in CP3's omission.

Happy? Now, please go away........

linkster...happy? Sanctimonious, holier-than-thou, self-satisfied, smug, priggish, rude, pious, moralizing, preachy, superior, hypocritical, insecure, angry, anxious, self-righteous, - These are all adjectives that describe linkster. But happy? Nooo.

Can you imagine the mess he'll be when uconn stumbles and falls?

VN Store

Back