Candace Parker left off team USA for Rio olympics

I would guess that a large percentage of the posters here would love it if Geno wasn't the coach and maybe had never coached the USA national team. Well, consider this, he is easily the best women's basketball coach active today, by far. And you all have no problem with him not being part of the team. Why? If anything he should continue to coach the team as long as he wishes. He is the best. Now I know a lot of you are barfing at the idea but if you truly believe that Parker deserves to be on the team because of her ability as a player you also need to believe that Geno should remain the coach indefinitely because of his coaching ability.

Yes, you're right. Geno should not be coach of the Women's National Team. I don't care about his talent; he stacks up the team with UConn players, whether they deserve it or not, at the expenses of developing younger players to be the future (unless you are a UConn player, that is!). This is supposed to be the USNT, not the UConn Friends and Family Invitational.

Reactions: 6 people
Yes, you're right. Geno should not be coach of the Women's National Team. I don't care about his talent; he stacks up the team with UConn players, whether they deserve it or not, at the expenses of developing younger players to be the future (unless you are a UConn player, that is!). This is supposed to be the USNT, not the UConn Friends and Family Invitational.

My Point exactly and if he is allowed to decide this time who's to say during the next Olympics he doesn't replace the 4 we would possibly lose (Fowles, Bird, Taurasi, Catchings) with 4 other UConn Players;

PG-Jefferson over Simms or Diggins (Replaces Bird)
Katie Lou Samuelson as the rookie in the WNBA replaces Catchings
Stephanie Dolson replaces Fowles
Morgan Tuck takes the spot of Taurasi and Diggins or Simms would be battling it out to replace Whalen.

The Olympics Coach should be someone with no ties/affliation with the NCAA or WNBA imo because it makes it a level playing field. Someone like a Carolyn Peck, Van Chancellor, Lin Dunn, etc.

Reactions: 2 people
My Point exactly and if he is allowed to decide this time who's to say during the next Olympics he doesn't replace the 4 we would possibly lose (Fowles, Bird, Taurasi, Catchings) with 4 other UConn Players;

PG-Jefferson over Simms or Diggins (Replaces Bird)
Katie Lou Samuelson as the rookie in the WNBA replaces Catchings
Stephanie Dolson replaces Fowles
Morgan Tuck takes the spot of Taurasi and Diggins or Simms would be battling it out to replace Whalen.

The Olympics Coach should be someone with no ties/affliation with the NCAA or WNBA imo because it makes it a level playing field. Someone like a Carolyn Peck, Van Chancellor, Lin Dunn, etc.

Exactly. Prior to Geno taking over, Anne Donovan was coach and the two UConn grads were Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi...both widely recognized as 2 of the best players in the world.

Four years later, Geno takes over and all of a sudden there are 6 players, with the deserving Tina Charles and Maya Moore joining the questionable Swin Cash and Ashja Jones. Another four years after the that, and he still has 6 players on the squad.

I have zero doubt that the 4 players you mentioned will be future Olympians, not because they are amongst the 12 best players in the country, but because Geno will pound the table for them.

No college coach should be in charge of the WNT, whether it's Geno or someone else.

Reactions: 3 people
Exactly. Prior to Geno taking over, Anne Donovan was coach and the two UConn grads were Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi...both widely recognized as 2 of the best players in the world.

Four years later, Geno takes over and all of a sudden there are 6 players, with the deserving Tina Charles and Maya Moore joining the questionable Swin Cash and Ashja Jones. Another four years after the that, and he still has 6 players on the squad.

I have zero doubt that the 4 players you mentioned will be future Olympians, not because they are amongst the 12 best players in the country, but because Geno will pound the table for them.

No college coach should be in charge of the WNT, whether it's Geno or someone else.

Yup and I think Delle Donne was chosen over Parker(not saying she didn't deserve to make the team and Let's face it Stewart was a lock) because he never got to coach her when she decided to transfer before playing a game at UConn so he feels she's the one who got away. We knew Griner would make it because of her size and dunking ability. I just see the injustice done. He and Cheryl Reeve and the players they coach (or recruited) make up 9 of the players on the team;

Geno: Bird, Taurausi, Stewart, Moore, Charles, Delle Donne

Reeves: Fowles, Augustus, Moore, Whalen

Leaving Griner, Catchings, McCoughtry as the only 3 with no ties to anyone on the staff/committee smdh;

And if he can pull this power move I don't see Diggins, Jewell Loyd, or McBribe making it (he isn't found of McGraw)

He love him some Kim Mulkey so Simms and players from Baylor have a chance and it shouldn't be that way. Bias shouldn't be allowed when selecting the teams

Reactions: 1 person
I would guess that a large percentage of the posters here would love it if Geno wasn't the coach and maybe had never coached the USA national team. Well, consider this, he is easily the best women's basketball coach active today, by far. And you all have no problem with him not being part of the team. Why? If anything he should continue to coach the team as long as he wishes. He is the best. Now I know a lot of you are barfing at the idea but if you truly believe that Parker deserves to be on the team because of her ability as a player you also need to believe that Geno should remain the coach indefinitely because of his coaching ability.

Son, you need to step away from the Bong.

Because in all the time that UT WAS the spot-light program for WCBB in the past, it was never as despised as the ultra-arrogant UCLOWNN fans, coach and program. . . . People as a whole, would rather see a program of integrity represent any entity over a program of arrogance. You can argue this all you want...But there is no argument.

Name one org. besides the Yankees or Ucon with questionable ethics that continually represented their sport for more than a moment of time.... Take your time, I'm here all week.

How stupid am I for thinking you were going to talk about the great coaching staff that is dedicated to the development of the players skills and their personal attributes. Talking about the long list of great recruits waiting to grace the Vols halls and arena and the recent history of success in the NCAA tournament. Then I thought you would mention how the University has a history of no problems with sexism issues within the athletic department and the dedication the A.D. and his staff has toward the WBB program. It is ashamed that such a vaulted program has so many problems and I truly hope(believe it or not) they can right the ship. The players that are entering the program certainly deserve it.

He's obviously not returning as coach next time (Yay!), as you can see he has left the guard position pretty bare for the next coach, unless "Stewie" was brought in to play point guard.

Geno has become bigger than the game, and that's made a sham of the USA selection process for the past 2 Summer Olympics.

How stupid am I for thinking you were going to talk about the great coaching staff that is dedicated to the development of the players skills and their personal attributes. Talking about the long list of great recruits waiting to grace the Vols halls and arena and the recent history of success in the NCAA tournament. Then I thought you would mention how the University has a history of no problems with sexism issues within the athletic department and the dedication the A.D. and his staff has toward the WBB program. It is ashamed that such a vaulted program has so many problems and I truly hope(believe it or not) they can right the ship. The players that are entering the program certainly deserve it.

Are you a UT LV fan?... There is no doubt to anyone about my heart and loyalty. Though there is some obvious and vocal doubt about my ability. . . UT fell for a span of time due to a perfect-storm. I believe the sun is burning away a cloud every second... My focus in not to re-dig our recent past woes,, it is to elevate the readers, players, staff and fans who read my posts and to say, I am not afraid to step up and try to personally positively influence not only the players that are entering the program who certainly deserve it, but, also the ones who have already given precious time to this program, that equally deserve it.

I've got no problem with Geno getting to coach the national team. He is the best coach in the women's game and deserves to have coached the NT. But it's not like we were doing poorly and Geno came in to save the day so he deserves to stay as long as he wants. There are other coaches who are more than capable of leading the US to gold medals, just like the ones before Geno. The US coach should be rotated to give those other deserving coaches a chance to lead the team.

Reactions: 3 people
Tony did you hear that Taurasi and Bird have been replaced? Don't you want to know why and wouldn't you be a little pissed about it? Of course you would if that was true..

Parker is not representing a college, she is representing us, Americans, to the world. She is the best at what she does...

You're a good guy that posts here like a decent man, not a punk...You know in your heart geno is behind this.

This is one pissed off board.

Thanks for the kind words.

All these threads on CP not making the team and opinions and thoughts on why. A lot of the blame is being put on Geno...Why...he doesn't make the decisions or the rules for the team. I will repeat what Ive said before. This could be personal, there could be a problem and we don't know anything...those in charge and associated with the team and organization do and when theyre ready they just might let everybody know why. Until then stop placing blame, because you don't have the facts, the decision makers do. Yes it is frustrating and reading all the boards and seeing everybody all fans agreeing and everybody wonder why CP is not on the team. All fans are in agreement. So now we wait for the reason(s) and I hope its soon.

Are you a UT LV fan?... There is no doubt to anyone about my heart and loyalty. Though there is some obvious and vocal doubt about my ability. . . UT fell for a span of time due to a perfect-storm. I believe the sun is burning away a cloud every second... My focus in not to re-dig our recent past woes,, it is to elevate the readers, players, staff and fans who read my posts and to say, I am not afraid to step up and try to personally positively influence not only the players that are entering the program who certainly deserve it, but, also the ones who have already given precious time to this program, that equally deserve it.

And yet you somehow think that gives you license to disrespect any other WBB program, coach, player and now professional teams as well. When someone posts and they spew out a bunch of vile comments, it is hard to read anything else they post without thinking they are some bitter poster with an ax to grind. My comments about the LV program might have seemed harsh to some, but I believe they are an honest representation of the problems they must solve before becoming the great program they once were.

I'm guessing CP is not the easiest player to work with. Maybe she doesn't want to do things exactly the way that Geno and Bruno want to do it. No other way they consider leaving her off. They think they can win without her so they don't have to include her. If they didn't think it was a slam dunk without her, she would be on the team.

Just my guess.

And yet you somehow think that gives you license to disrespect any other WBB program, coach, player and now professional teams as well. When someone posts and they spew out a bunch of vile comments, it is hard to read anything else they post without thinking they are some bitter poster with an ax to grind. My comments about the LV program might have seemed harsh to some, but I believe they are an honest representation of the problems they must solve before becoming the great program they once were.

Not just ANY program. Only one that thinks it is above reproach. I have little respect for that.

Reread your text, tony. It could have as easily been written for you.

But, I am trying to stay with me focus and not get into these irrelevant tiffs. On the flip-side, I will stand for UT.

I'm guessing CP is not the easiest player to work with. Maybe she doesn't want to do things exactly the way that Geno and Bruno want to do it. No other way they consider leaving her off. They think they can win without her so they don't have to include her. If they didn't think it was a slam dunk without her, she would be on the team.

Just my guess.

Yep, it's her attitude! He can't tolerate ANYONE who isn't willing to stick their tongue up his ass and proclaim him the best of all time! Candace has better taste than that!

Reactions: 6 people
My guess is Geno is a jealous punk who only wants his pets on the team who will put up with his crap. He can't bare to have others share the spotlight.

The decision not to include Candace Parker on the 2016 Olympic team seems to be a USA BB decision and not one that can be pinned solely on Geno Auriemma. It appears that USA BB did not like that Parker chose not to play in the 2010 world championships or the 2014 world championships, opting instead to have surgery and not miss any time playing overseas. The Olympics are obviously a more glamorous event but many players feel they need to play in the less desirable world championships in order to have a shot at making the Olympic team.

USA BB understands the need for the players to maximize their earnings by not missing time overseas where they make the bulk of their money. But that's an issue for all of the players, including those who've chosen to play in the world championships. Well, it seems that some players complained to USA BB about Parker getting special treatment. I would guess that USA BB already didn't like that Parker passed on the worlds and when other players complained they didn't feel right about putting her on the Olympic team again in 2016 (she made the team in 2012).

The decision not to include Candace Parker on the 2016 Olympic team seems to be a USA BB decision and not one that can be pinned solely on Geno Auriemma. It appears that USA BB did not like that Parker chose not to play in the 2010 world championships or the 2014 world championships, opting instead to have surgery and not miss any time playing overseas. The Olympics are obviously a more glamorous event but many players feel they need to play in the less desirable world championships in order to have a shot at making the Olympic team.

USA BB understands the need for the players to maximize their earnings by not missing time overseas where they make the bulk of their money. But that's an issue for all of the players, including those who've chosen to play in the world championships. Well, it seems that some players complained to USA BB about Parker getting special treatment. I would guess that USA BB already didn't like that Parker passed on the worlds and when other players complained they didn't feel right about putting her on the Olympic team again in 2016 (she made the team in 2012).

As long as you're UConn player, your attitude and ethics are never questioned. I recall Carolyn Peck commenting that Diana Taurasi must have had a toothache when she missed all those games with Phoenix so that they had the best shot at getting the # 1 pick in the WNBA draft. USA basketball has wittingly or not so wittingly created a monster in Geno, and even Voepel is questioning the love affair between the two, most likely figuratively and literally, because he is in bed with someone there!

I've got no problem with Geno getting to coach the national team. He is the best coach in the women's game and deserves to have coached the NT. But it's not like we were doing poorly and Geno came in to save the day so he deserves to stay as long as he wants. There are other coaches who are more than capable of leading the US to gold medals, just like the ones before Geno. The US coach should be rotated to give those other deserving coaches a chance to lead the team.

You are absolutely right. But do you think for one minute that the US team couldn't win the gold without Parker, or any other player for that matter?

Parker has class... The VolNation has yet to see such from him.

Many LV fans made up their minds about Geno when, instead of genuflecting to pat, he treated her like an opponent to be beaten. His job isn't to be well-liked, it's to be respected and to win. Outside of volnation he has accomplished both.

And there is a sizable group that see Parker as a prima donna who is more concerned about herself than her team. Posting a video of her dunking at UConn (in 2007?) on Instagram the other day wasn't the classiest of acts. More like what a spoiled child would do. Some say that her me-first attitude has a lot to do with why she hasn't led her team to a title since 2008.

Now I never met her and I don't form opinions based on hearsay.

...Four years later, Geno takes over and all of a sudden there are...the questionable Swin Cash and Ashja Jones...

That was when I knew who was calling the shots - and it wasn't the committee. Cash and Jones had no business on the 2012 team.

Reactions: 4 people

Shut up!

VN Store

Back