Alexis Johnson arrested (merged/updated 4/21)

TFP reports it this way ...

"His attorney, Gregory Isaacs, told the Times Free Press that the false imprisonment charged was dropped and the felony aggravated assault charge was reduced to a misdemeanor assault charge that also would be dropped in six months.

Isaacs suggested the agreement was reached with the Knox County District Attorney's Office.

"There was no entry of any plea and no requirement of probation," he said. "It was a very favorable agreement for Mr. Johnson. I'm very pleased for both he and his family. It took a lot of hard work from both sides to get this resolution completed."

Knox County deputy district attorney general Kyle Hixson told the Times Free Press it was "the fairest resolution for the case" based on a full review of the evidence and "many consultations" between his office and the alleged victim.

"I think everyone agreed that while this was a serious situation," Hixson explained, "it was a situation that was perhaps blown out of proportion and a felony prosecution was not warranted based upon the facts of the case."

... about as good as it gets for him it appears. Looks like everyone has cooled down a little here.

Except for Catbone and his sad band of gloomy gray hairs.

Reactions: 3 people
Any **** 6-4, 300 lb Defensive End that will soon have no charges pending against him should be welcomed back by Team #120 and Staff as quickly and legally as possible. We are not "too deep" in any one position this Fall, IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
As far as whether he will be able to return to the team soon, this is the important part now:

Despite Thursday's outcome, there doesn't appear to be an imminent resolution for Johnson's case, with a hearing regarding his student conduct case with the university likely the next step.

Isaacs is representing Johnson in his student conduct case with the university, but he declined to comment on any specifics regarding that process.

"I'm not at liberty to comment on that," Isaacs said, "other than that the investigation is ongoing."

He should and will play, Hixson has said the situation was blown way out of proportion.

He won't play as long as domestic assault charges are pending. Even if they are misdemeanor charges. UT wants to stamp out this type of behavior. Allowing him to play is not the best way to go about it. It is unfortunate but I expect Alex will be enrolled in another school come September.

He won't play as long as domestic assault charges are pending. Even if they are misdemeanor charges. UT wants to stamp out this type of behavior. Allowing him to play is not the best way to go about it. It is unfortunate but I expect Alex will be enrolled in another school come September.

The charges are only pending for 6 months, it not like hes awaiting trial for the charges. The charges are set to be dismissed, so there for he will be good to go in October. So suspend him for the month of September then reinstatr him.

Reactions: 4 people

I think UT understands this was an episode of immature rough-housing that got out of hand...not a case of battery against a girlfriend. The charge is in the process of being dismissed and once it is (presumably October) there should be nothing wrong with letting him play.

Reactions: 1 person
I think UT understands this was an episode of immature rough-housing that got out of hand...not a case of battery against a girlfriend. The charge is in the process of being dismissed and once it is (presumably October) there should be nothing wrong with letting him play.

The question would then be, is he ready to play? If he has been suspended from the team, what kind of shape will he be in? Probably not SEC game shape would be my guess. He would be starting his first College practices in October. My guess is, since he is a 3 to play 2 (I think), he would be redshirted.

The question would then be, is he ready to play? If he has been suspended from the team, what kind of shape will he be in? Probably not SEC game shape would be my guess. He would be starting his first College practices in October. My guess is, since he is a 3 to play 2 (I think), he would be redshirted.

As bad as I hate it, this sounds right. I'm no legal expert. But what is a charge, scheduled to be dropped in 6 months? Isnt that like probation then? If you have a charge scheduled to be dropped, then why not drop the charge immediately?

Anyone with some legal knowledge explain this?

Last edited:
As bad as I hate it, this sounds right. I'm no legal expert. But what is a charge, scheduled to be dropped in 6 months? Isnt that like probation then? If you have a charge scheduled to be dropped, then why not drop the charge immediately?

Anyone with some legal knowledge explain this?
in 6 months the charge gets dropped and it never existed. Probation would require a plea/conviction of some sort.

It could be considered a back-door probation. If he messes up or new information comes up between now and then they can go forward with prosecuting that charge or even a bigger charge. For the next 6 months he better keep the heck away from whoever the victim was. If he is still with her I pray for him because she has his boys in her hands for the next 6 months.

University of Tennessee football player felony charges reduced | WATE 6 On Your Side

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it would be nice to have another 4-star DT in the rotation, on the other hand choking women.

I never understood this thinking. We only watch him play football so we can be entertained. He's not asking to marry your daughter. I don't know why his personal life matters to anyone.

IMO as long as you're not in jail, you should be allowed to play. And I personally could care less if the worst person ever off the field. I only care of you can ball on it.

Looking ahead, Johnson probably won't be ready to play until Oct anyway. Remember, he missed all team activity during this time away, not just spring drills. The next step will be whether CBJ allows him to return to those activities, perhaps with provisions that he will not dress out or play in games until he is totally clear of this matter.

This "probation" is nothing more than keeping him from playing. 6 months puts him at not being eligible until October 21.

This "probation" is nothing more than keeping him from playing. 6 months puts him at not being eligible until October 21.

Wrong, he is getting the benefit of the doubt as a first offender. In other words, keep your nose clean for six months and the charges go away for good. Basically, the attorney had him plead out and in return he promised to be a good boy. What he was looking at, it's a good deal to have this permanently removed your record. His attorney did a good job. He got a slap on the wrist.

I never understood this thinking. We only watch him play football so we can be entertained. He's not asking to marry your daughter. I don't know why his personal life matters to anyone.

IMO as long as you're not in jail, you should be allowed to play. And I personally could care less if the worst person ever off the field. I only care of you can ball on it.

Very irresponsible attitude and hopefully the majority of our fan base doesn't feel the same! It's an embarrassment to most Alumni and fans when our players get arrested repeatedly, rob the Pilot gas station etc... So yes I and most other Alumni and fans do care how our players behave off the field!

Also, I wonder if everyone's reaction would be the same if this were a walk on or 2 star player buried on the depth chart? Based on the past few months/years, now more than ever it shouldn't factor into the Administration's decision. Anyone on here suggesting the depth chart will factor into this decision is missing the point completely. Tennessee's reputation(fair or not) needs to be repaired ASAP regardless of the player in question. So the real question should be, if our 5th string kicker were the accused in this case would the administration let him back on the team?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Wrong, he is getting the benefit of the doubt as a first offender. In other words, keep your nose clean for six months and the charges go away for good. Basically, the attorney had him plead out and in return he promised to be a good boy. What he was looking at, it's a good deal to have this permanently removed your record. His attorney did a good job. He got a slap on the wrist.

The victim was directly involved with this deal and she agreed to it. Like it's been said this was something that was blown out of proportion.

Reactions: 5 people
Johnson will Not play while he's on probation. Just imagine the PR field day opposing teams and their various broadcast announcers would have with that! He's a very talented player. And we need him, because we're thin (depth wise) at DT. But Johnson will be radioactive for a while. CBJ is smarter....I hope....than to ignore the probation and return Johnson to good standing on the team roster. IMO.....let it all cool down while training and conditioning Johnson for as quiet return, in Oct, as can be managed.

So Jameis Winston was still allowed to play football at FSU when he was convicted of rape but we shouldn't let Alexis Johnson back on the team for having assault charges that was just recently dropped and blown out of proportion? We need DT depth! Let this man back on the team.

So Jameis Winston was still allowed to play football at FSU when he was convicted of rape but we shouldn't let Alexis Johnson back on the team for having assault charges that was just recently dropped and blown out of proportion? We need DT depth! Let this man back on the team.

Convicted?

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back