Cuonzo v Barnes v Pearl

Two of the top 5 scorers for Cal are Freshman, how does Martin not get credit for that? They are #24 in the AP and some are predicting a 5 seed and he's playing in a league where 3 conference foes are ranked in the AP Top 15.

He went from 18 wins in year 1, to 23 (currently) in year 2.

I think Barnes is a great coach interested to see what he does next year, but Martin is a good Coach too and he'll get better with experience.

You mean Rabb whose mother lives 20 minutes from campus and his boy Brown? Just like Stokes fell in his lap.

Reactions: 2 people
If our football team is preseason 15, I hope they finish a lot higher than 21.

Okay, so now you are comparing our football team to Cal's hoops team. Never mind that you are comparing two sports where there is about a 3:1 ratio difference in number of first division teams.

The old expression about apples and oranges is coming to mind now.

You mean Rabb whose mother lives 20 minutes from campus and his boy Brown? Just like Stokes fell in his lap.

So, all those legacy recruits just fell in Jones' lap...he doesn't get credit for TK Jr. cause he went to Webb, 10 minutes in a beat up Chevy from campus?

It's ridiculous. Brown is from Georgia right?

Reactions: 3 people
So, all those legacy recruits just fell in Jones' lap...he doesn't get credit for TK Jr. cause he went to Webb, 10 minutes in a beat up Chevy from campus?

It's ridiculous. Brown is from Georgia right?

And best friends with Rabb. Yes, Butch has had a lot of help with legacy players and in-states.

Okay, so now you are comparing our football team to Cal's hoops team. Never mind that you are comparing two sports where there is about a 3:1 ratio difference in number of first division teams.

The old expression about apples and oranges is coming to mind now.

Who cares how many teams there are. If you are supposedly a top team, you should finish as a top team. I'm sure the Cal fans are ecstatic with where their team finished.

Cuonzo is a mediocre coach and a slightly better recruiter. In 8 years two NCAA tournaments and one Sweet Sixteen. Pearl had those in his four years coaching D1 at Milwaukee.

And best friends with Rabb. Yes, Butch has had a lot of help with legacy players and in-states.

C'mon man, all these top D1 prospects know each other and many want to play with each other.

So, Jones doesn't get credit for keeping an in state kid in state. Let's see what happens when he loses some to Clemson or Bama.

C'mon man, all these top D1 prospects know each other and many want to play with each other.

So, Jones doesn't get credit for keeping an in state kid in state. Let's see what happens when he loses some to Clemson or Bama.

So you think Martin got Brown and not Rabb and Jones is about to lose some kids to Clemson. I don't think it's completely his fault, but this class is worrying me slightly at this point.

Rank 21: Cal
Rank 110: Tenn
Rank 209: Aub

Cal has a better offense than the other two teams as well.

2016 Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings

The question you should be asking is how did Cuonzo lose ten games with 3 lottery picks and 1 othe player that will be drafted? Cal was a preseason top 15 and was picked to win the PAC-12. I would have loved to have seen what Coach Barnes could have done with that talent.

Here is what the Cal board thinks of CM

CM is honestly the worst offensive coach I've seen in possession for possession situations. No easy buckets ever.

Cuonzo is a disaster in late game situations.

Great loss guys. Cuonzo can't win for ****. How do we let a player go 4 seconds wide open to the basket to go to onetime. **** this

Reactions: 4 people
The question you should be asking is how did Cuonzo lose ten games with 3 lottery picks and 1 othe player that will be drafted? Cal was a preseason top 15 and was picked to win the PAC-12. I would have loved to have seen what Coach Barnes could have done with that talent.

CM is honestly the worst offensive coach I've seen in possession for possession situations. No easy buckets ever.

Great loss guys. Cuonzo can't win for ****. How do we let a player go 4 seconds wide open to the basket to go to onetime. **** this

Don't go hating on Martin in here. It's a big love fest.

So you think Martin got Brown and not Rabb and Jones is about to lose some kids to Clemson. I don't think it's completely his fault, but this class is worrying me slightly at this point.

I think you give a coach credit for signing the class they sign and if memory serves only Martin and Calipari had two 5 stars...that's impressive no matter how it happens.

I think kids wanna do what kids wanna do no matter how much effort is expended by coaches.

Bottom line...I've always stated Martin had an upside. That doesn't mean he was a fit here, obviously many fans didn't think so and neither did Hart.

I reckon Martin is happy and I'm happy with Barnes I guess all is good.

Probably should have stayed out of this one. :p

Who cares how many teams there are. If you are supposedly a top team, you should finish as a top team. I'm sure the Cal fans are ecstatic with where their team finished.

Perhaps I can help you understand. In a sport with a larger number of competitors, like for instance college basketball, being "ranked" has far greater significance than it does in a sport, like football, where there is a smaller number of competitors.

I think you give a coach credit for signing the class they sign and if memory serves only Martin and Calipari had two 5 stars...that's impressive no matter how it happens.

I think kids wanna do what kids wanna do no matter how much effort is expended by coaches.

Bottom line...I've always stated Martin had an upside. That doesn't mean he was a fit here, obviously many fans didn't think so and neither did Hart.

I reckon Martin is happy and I'm happy with Barnes I guess all is good.

Probably should have stayed out of this one. :p

I'm sure Martin is a great person, but I just don't think he's a very good coach. Green went to 4 tournaments in 4 years here. Bruce went to 6 in 6 years. Zo went to 1 in 3 years and there was no way he would have got us there last year. I would take Zo over Buzz or Kevin though.

Reactions: 1 person

Link?

Perhaps I can help you understand. In a sport with a larger number of competitors, like for instance college basketball, being "ranked" has far greater significance than it does in a sport, like football, where there is a smaller number of competitors.

That is irrelevant if you are supposed to be a top 15 team, then you should be a top 15 team.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure Martin is a great person, but I just don't think he's a very good coach. Green went to 4 tournaments in 4 years here. Bruce went to 6 in 6 years. Zo went to 1 in 3 years and there was no way he would have got us there last year. I would take Zo over Buzz or Kevin though.

He had neither of their experience so patience was gonna be necessary and I fully understand that isn't what many folks wanted. Michael White at UF is a good example, he's 19-14 in year one probably won't make the tourney and UF fans are in the same kind of position we were in after Pearl.

He had neither of their experience so patience was gonna be necessary and I fully understand that isn't what many folks wanted. Michael White at UF is a good example, he's 19-14 in year one probably won't make the tourney and UF fans are in the same kind of position we were in after Pearl.

He might be on the hot seat next year, considering what he had to follow.

VN Store

Back