Austin Nichols to leave memphis

Oh I absolutely do as well, and that's likely where he ends up, just thought 2 things with UVA...1. Pace and style were a major negative against UT in his recruitment, Bennett's style is even worse and 2. There's at least a decent possibility Bennett is not the coach next season at UVA

Uh, Bennett and UVa just reworked his contract this spring. After his second 30 win season in a row, this sort of made sense. His compensation is now $2.1 mil per year with additional performance bonuses tacked on. More significantly, there is now a $3 mil buy-out if he leaves before 2018. Supposedly, this is to reassure recruits that he will still be here. Add to this that he has a senior laden team returning for the 2016 campaign, and he is assembling a pretty nice recruiting class for 2016, too. I imagine he'll be in Charlottesville a few more years.

Uh, Bennett and UVa just reworked his contract this spring. After his second 30 win season in a row, this sort of made sense. His compensation is now $2.1 mil per year with additional performance bonuses tacked on. More significantly, there is now a $3 mil buy-out if he leaves before 2018. Supposedly, this is to reassure recruits that he will still be here. Add to this that he has a senior laden team returning for the 2016 campaign, and he is assembling a pretty nice recruiting class for 2016, too. I imagine he'll be in Charlottesville a few more years.

If you follow CBB then you should be much more aware that new contracts and buyouts mean jack $hit, and $2.1m as a base salary is near an insult for Bennett when you look at where that ranks and who is making more than him.

Reactions: 3 people
Yep, but I wouldn't be too cocky right now if I were a UT fan.

Not sure why one has something to do with the other. "The Tigers imploding" has nothing to do with what UT is doing.

This is why UT and Memphis are "rivals" that don't play every year. Memphis fans watch every UT move and can't stand when something is said about them.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure why one has something to do with the other. "The Tigers imploding" has nothing to do with what UT is doing.

This is why UT and Memphis are "rivals" that don't play every year. Memphis fans watch every UT move and can't stand when something is said about them.

The amount of Memphis posters that show up in the hoops forum is proof of that being true.

They have the most rival forum posters on the hoops forum. It's not close.

Reactions: 5 people
I believe Tiger Fans are realizing what they have feared since Calipari left. Pastner is not the answer.

Obviously. Best case scenario is Pastner is able to put together a decent year and then takes another job at the end of the season. If not the program would still fire him, but that massive buyout would really hurt.

Sources told ESPN that Virginia is high atop Nichols' list of suitors because of a connection between Nichols' former summer coach, Ernie Kuyper, and the family of John Paul Jones -- whom Virginia's arena is named after. Kuyper runs an event in Memphis called the Jack Jones Shootout.
-ESPN

Not unknown news, but I figured it was worth sharing.

This ugly business about "it was getting dark", implying Nichols doesn't like black folks, and other racially tinged rhetoric is quite frankly disgusting and has no place in this discussion or on this board.

Reactions: 5 people

Oh me where have you been hiding the last 5 years plus??? Contracts mean, and I mean this literally, NOTHING!!! I would give you examples to see for verification but my fingers would wear out...They mean absolutely nothing!!!

This ugly business about "it was getting dark", implying Nichols doesn't like black folks, and other racially tinged rhetoric is quite frankly disgusting and has no place in this discussion or on this board.

I don't think that it was implying that he's dropping N-bombs or setting crosses a blaze. I took it more like he didn't know a lot of black folk whilst growing up.

Oh me where have you been hiding the last 5 years plus??? Contracts mean, and I mean this literally, NOTHING!!! I would give you examples to see for verification but my fingers would wear out...They mean absolutely nothing!!!

Well, there are contracts and there are contracts. Much is dependent on the parties involved. Among other things, UVa isn't a mid-major in a weak basketball conference. It has never been a stepping stone. It is an elite academic school, in an elite basketball conference, with elite facilities. Bennett turned down offers from both Indiana and LSU before he accepted the position. Additionally, of those schools that could afford to lure him away, not many are interested in his style of play. They aren't good fits. Finally, he has a loaded roster returning next fall. Even with the departure of Justin Anderson, most analysts have Virginia as a pre-season Top 10 team, and the recruiting for 2016 is progressing very nicely. And the buy-out is what it is. If Bennett ever pursues another head coaching job, I imagine it will be in the NBA.

Well, there are contracts and there are contracts. Much is dependent on the parties involved. Among other things, UVa isn't a mid-major in a weak basketball conference. It has never been a stepping stone. It is an elite academic school, in an elite basketball conference, with elite facilities. Bennett turned down offers from both Indiana and LSU before he accepted the position. Additionally, of those schools that could afford to lure him away, not many are interested in his style of play. They aren't good fits. Finally, he has a loaded roster returning next fall. Even with the departure of Justin Anderson, most analysts have Virginia as a pre-season Top 10 team, and the recruiting for 2016 is progressing very nicely. And the buy-out is what it is. If Bennett ever pursues another head coaching job, I imagine it will be in the NBA.

All that considered, he's still an elite coach without an elite salary or an elite program. If he's interested in changing either of those things--and most people are--I could see him leaving. But it gets less and less likely with Virginia being in the top 10 every year

We are referring to 2016-2017 season being hired, not this current season, Wisconsin still has a coach.

I don't think that it was implying that he's dropping N-bombs or setting crosses a blaze. I took it more like he didn't know a lot of black folk whilst growing up.

Neither did I, if we're being honest. But that doesn't make it any more acceptable. Sports are our last refuge from the racial rhetoric flooding our country today, and they should be, because in sports it doesn't matter what color you are if you can ball.

We are referring to 2016-2017 season being hired, not this current season, Wisconsin still has a coach.

Wisconsin and Virginia insiders all agree that Bennett won't be going there. According to at least one person that should know, Bennett has informed Alvarez he isn't interested in leaving Charlottesville, or, quite possibly, intermediaries have relayed the information. Furthermore, as Ryan has endorsed Gard as his successor, his promotion seems more likely than not. If nothing else, it would maintain a bit of continuity in both schemes and recruiting.

Lastly, Bennett's salary is still in the Top 20 for college head coaches. While it isn't comparable with Duke, Kansas, Louisville, or Kentucky, it is still very competitive. This is especially true when you factor in the significant bumps in pay Bennett negotiated for his staff last year (UVa's assistants are paid about as well as any in college ball, as I understand it).

Last edited:
Wisconsin and Virginia insiders all agree that Bennett won't be going there. According to at least one person that should know, Bennett has informed Alvarez he isn't interested in leaving Charlottesville, or, quite possibly, intermediaries have relayed the information. Furthermore, as Ryan has endorsed Gard as his successor, his promotion seems more likely than not. If nothing else, it would maintain a bit of continuity in both schemes and recruiting.

Lastly, Bennett's salary is still in the Top 20 for college head coaches. While it isn't comparable with Duke, Kansas, Louisville, or Kentucky, it is still very competitive. This is especially true when you factor in the significant bumps in pay Bennett negotiated for his staff last year (UVa's assistants are paid about as well as any in college ball, as I understand it).

Do you have Saban's quote handy?

VN Store

Back