Austin Nichols to leave memphis

A little late...but interesting because I didn't think UK would show much interest in any more players, especially transfers for this year. Not sure of our scholly count, but obviously I guess we have room. Can't hurt to to have a player stocked up for the season after either.

By my count UK still has 2 open scholarships

Also something worth noting/ironic/interesting...one of the biggest knocks, only knocks Nichols' and his family had on Tennessee was the perceived boring style and slow pace of play by CCM, they wanted a more uptempo system for his son...yet they're gonna go have him play for Bennett who runs about the slowest style in CBB?

Reactions: 4 people
Also something worth noting/ironic/interesting...one of the biggest knocks, only knocks Nichols' and his family had on Tennessee was the perceived boring style and slow pace of play by CCM, they wanted a more uptempo system for his son...yet they're gonna go have him play for Bennett who runs about the slowest style in CBB?
Rick Barnes offense isn't gonna light his world on fire either lol

Giles is thought of as a one and done, with Nichols having to sit a year out that doesn't really effect him, but yes Duke does have some quality front court depth besides Giles.

As for uncertainty, there's also uncertainty with the Virginia/Wisconsin situation, unless Nichols' family is gonna get some sort of binding agreement in writing for Bennett, other coaches will definitely be making Nichols' aware of the fact Bennett is considered an option for the Wisconsin job.

Also, if you simply want to argue who gives him the best chance of getting into the league which clearly is his families top priority, Barnes & Tennessee can make a better case than Bennett & UVA, and I don't think that's really even debatable.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying he's coming to Tennessee, I'm just passing along what is being said and making a case for the Vols.

Giles is starting school next year and would be playing with (and overshadowing) Nichols. They're the favorites for Wendell Carter in the class after that, and they'll still have Chase Jeter as well.

I'd definitely say the NBA thing is debatable. Draft prospects are a lot better as the best player on a top-10 team (if Bennett is still the coach) than as the best player on a team that may not be in the tourney. That's probably why Josh Richardson went in the second round.

Fair enough. Also worth noting is UT has all black players and Virginia has a number of white guys. It has been said publicly that Nichols was never best friends with the guys on the Memphis team, different backgrounds.

But yea, Giles is 2016, so he would play the first year Nichols was eligible.

Reactions: 1 person
Rick Barnes offense isn't gonna light his world on fire either lol

No but anything slower than Bennetts offense is not possible. Effective but very slow brand of basketball. I think once Barnes starts talking to him then he will get the right idea.

Fair enough. Also worth noting is UT has all black players and Virginia has a number of white guys. It has been said publicly that Nichols was never best friends with the guys on the Memphis team, different backgrounds.

Aka Austin doesn't like black people.

Why not just say it is because of their backgrounds and leave off the black part?

Giles is starting school next year and would be playing with (and overshadowing) Nichols. They're the favorites for Wendell Carter in the class after that, and they'll still have Chase Jeter as well.

I'd definitely say the NBA thing is debatable. Draft prospects are a lot better as the best player on a top-10 team (if Bennett is still the coach) than as the best player on a team that may not be in the tourney. That's probably why Josh Richardson went in the second round.

If you play and show out you will get drafted appropriately, there are plenty examples of mid major guys going lottery etc. If Nichols goes to Duke and rides the pine I don't see him being drafted nearly as likely as if he say goes to UVA or Tennessee where he likely gets 30-35mpg the second he's eligible.

Reactions: 2 people
If you play and show out you will get drafted appropriately, there are plenty examples of mid major guys going lottery etc. If Nichols goes to Duke and rides the pine I don't see him being drafted nearly as likely as if he say goes to UVA or Tennessee where he likely gets 30-35mpg the second he's eligible.

Almost all of those mid-major guys come from tournament teams. I agree with your last sentence--I wouldn't go to Duke, because I think there are plenty of good teams where he can be by far the best player--but I could see why he'd pick Virginia over UT.

Aka Austin doesn't like black people.

Why not just say it is because of their backgrounds and leave off the black part?

Calm down. All I'm saying is Nichols was a private school kid from a upper middle class family in a good part of town. He likes to hunt and fish. He doesn't have a whole lot in common with most inner city, lower income kids. It was said more than once that he got along with everyone on the Memphis team just fine, he liked all the guys. Just wasn't really good friends with any of them.

Calm down. All I'm saying is Nichols was a private school kid from a upper middle class family in a good part of town. He likes to hunt and fish. He doesn't have a whole lot in common with most inner city, lower income kids. It was said more than once that he got along with everyone on the Memphis team just fine, he liked all the guys. Just wasn't really good friends with any of them.

Parrish (or someone on his show) said pretty much the same thing.

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up. The Nichols to Virginia thing isn't a done deal, but it's looking pretty good. If Barnes is able to get in there and flip it then it will certainly change my perception of him, but I'm afraid he is way too far behind on this one.

Almost all of those mid-major guys come from tournament teams. I agree with your last sentence--I wouldn't go to Duke, because I think there are plenty of good teams where he can be by far the best player--but I could see why he'd pick Virginia over UT.

Oh I absolutely do as well, and that's likely where he ends up, just thought 2 things with UVA...1. Pace and style were a major negative against UT in his recruitment, Bennett's style is even worse and 2. There's at least a decent possibility Bennett is not the coach next season at UVA

And you'd have to think having tons of friends at UT, along with his twin sister who he's pretty close to, a couple of his best friends, and even Robert Hubbs who would be his teammate and is a good friend of his would be in Tennessee's favor also. Add in all of the mid state and west Tennessee football players and there's definitely a much more familiar feel at UTK than say Memphis or Virginia. UTK isn't nearly as "dark" as Memphis, and fwiw UT just added a white walk on :)

Last edited:
I expect him to take his time so Barnes will have more to time to work with him. Hopefully it works and he becomes a Vol

VN Store

Back