If you didn't already hate Paul Finebaum...

It has no impact on the game. It shows that the unbiased sports "experts" don't wear orange sunglasses and see it as a close game. Ftr, i think we win by 14.

I agree that there is a perception this will be a close game... and I don't blame the betting public for thinking this is a 7 point game after watching us the past 5 years unfortunately.

I think we win by at least 14.

Reactions: 1 person
WKU moved the ball all over us at will and if we didn't accumulate 1/3 of our turnovers for the year in a single quarter then that game is a lot closer.

I hope it is nothing like the WKU game and that we win and look good doing it.

I was thinking the same thing.

Paul Finebaum is a boob. His show is nothing more than "reality" radio. It is an embarrassment that he calls it a "sports" show when all he does is let those inbreds call in on a regular basis and argue over whose turn it is to bed down with the family sheep.

Reactions: 3 people
Paul Finebaum is a boob. His show is nothing more than "reality" radio. It is an embarrassment that he calls it a "sports" show when all he does is let those inbreds call in on a regular basis and argue over whose turn it is to bed down with the family sheep.

roll tide:eek:lol:

I think you may have just described Vol Calls.

Utah State is a solid squad.

We should beat them, but Finebaum's right in saying that it's a tough game for us.

We haven't had one winning season in a few years, and haven't played up to par against subpar teams, so he has every logic to assume that. With that being said, as long as the players focus on this game and not Oklahoma looming, we will win.

Western Kentucky didn't have one of the best dual-threat qb's in the country. Not to mention we might have lost if WKU didn't turn the ball over 5 times in a row

the one coming off acl/mcl surgery last October and hasnt taken a hit since getting hurt?

Same with the starting RB.

4/5 new OL- The current group of Whimpey, Summers, Stephens,Fisialu, Simonich avg right at 290lbs. Even with Gilliam in there we avg 307 across the board.308 with Blair. quite a difference.
lost top two tight ends
top two receivers
lost about 7 defensive starters and lost the entire secondary

Lost both backup RBs who came when the starter got hurt.

lost middle linebacker

lost most of the 2 deep and projected starters for 2014 in the secondary. The team thats lost 50% of it linebacker depth chart since the end of 2013. Lost 4 of last yrs opening day front 7

the team that has almost 65% of it 103 listed players having never played a divison 1 snap at USU. (Redshirts, Freshman, Low tier JUCO transfers)

the team with 6 players who have started at least 10 games in their career. 1 of which coming off major surgery 10 months ago. That team is vastly thinner than UT is. Thats saying something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Utah State has been flirting with beating "name" FBS programs for a while.

2011: 38-42 Auburn
2012: 14-16 Wisconsin
2013: 14-17 USC

We're not going to be better than any of those three teams I just mentioned, so I don't know why people are so offended by saying the game could be close/we might lose.

Seriously what do some of you honestly expect some people to say????? That we will be playing in Atlanta the first weekend in December????? Warning for the near future Tennessee football hasn't been nationally relevant since 2001ish so until things improve the national media won't have much of anything positive to say. The criticism is warranted, so suck it up or don't watch.

Based on your usage of punctuation, I'm entertained imagining just how upset you were when you were writing your post. It's gonna be okay.

We're not going to be better than any of those three teams I just mentioned, so I don't know why people are so offended by saying the game could be close/we might lose.

But they were still L's. Hell Washington State beat USC like the week before. Hawaii almost beat them too. 12 of their 20 wins the past 2 yrs have been against the worst FBS and worst FCS school out there. UT hasnt beaten anyone for the most part but if we played New Mexico, Southern Utah, Texas State, UNLV,Hawaii, Air Force, SJSU, Idaho and Weber State over the last 2 yrs im pretty confident our record would have looked alot better.

Last edited:

Mostly because UT isn't playing their 2011, 2012, or 2013 team. They've lost almost every player that made those games close.

Then there's the big reason this shouldn't be close... UT's WR's vs their DB's. Take a look... it is down right ugly for them.

Well seeing as basically none of the starters for those games are playing, I'm not too worried. If we put a decently quick spy on Keaton he won't do much of anything. He has no one to throw it to.

Reactions: 2 people
If this game was in the middle of an atrocious season and 1/2 the fan base had given up on the team, then maybe Finebaum has a point. It did happen once before with Wyoming in Neyland not too long ago.

However, this is the first game of the year. A new season, new personnel ready to prove they belong. It's a night game and Neyland will be loud.

The same opinions were made about CAL back in 2006.

I'm no fan of Feinbaum, but he is saying what every coach would say in the situation. Always circle the first game first! Don't get ahead of yourself and think you can just show up versus a team and expect them to lay down for ya. Or in a CBJ analogy: can't build a brick wall starting with the third row of bricks! Lol

How about comparing those prior USU teams to their 2014 team, players and coaches.

Not much similarity.

Another thing he said that irritated me was when Spears brought up South Carolina as a possible SEC Champ, Finebaum scoffed at him and said "They lost to Tennessee..." I never listen to his radio show, and won't be watching the SEC Network unless the Vols are actually playing their game.

Our beloved UT-grad just said on ESPN SEC Nation Special "Forget about Oklahoma, I'm not sure they (UT) can get past the opening game. That's a tough one."

The opener will be a tough one, but we'll win it. As far as Paul goes, beloved? Really? By whom?

I'm tired of this silly stuff. We beat Utah State by at least 21. At least.

VN Store

Back