'15 TN ATH Nathan Cottrell

I would love to see this kid get an offer at UT. If not, I think he would really be a fit for Auburn or Ole Miss. They do a great job of using speed in their offense.

Happy to see this kid commit to GaTech. It says A LOT that he worked out for Duke and MTSU and they didn't offer.

Edit...MTSU has now offered.

Last edited:
Nice now we can move on. Good choice and fit for him IMO. His style from film has option written all over it. It should be a smooth transition with little competition. A team that could use 3 rbs in backfield at same time. We don't have room or a role fit at TN.

I think GT is a great fit for the kid, but if I were him, I would have at least waited until the end of Summer. I still think several more teams will offer.

I think GT is a great fit for the kid, but if I were him, I would have at least waited until the end of Summer. I still think several more teams will offer.

Perhaps Nathan is going to have this offer in hand and still be open to something else down the line if something better comes along.

I'm not sure that is accurate. Rivals is the only outlet reporting a commitment. There isn't even a mention of a commitment on Nathan's own Twitter feed. He confirms the offer, but says nothing about a verbal commitment.

It's showing him as a GT commitment on Scout as well.

It's showing him as a GT commitment on Scout as well.

That's odd. Jesse Smithey is pretty close to Nathan and hasn't done anything on it at this point, and one would think that Nathan would have mentioned it on his own Twitter account, and Nathan re-tweeted an entry about the offer just a couple of hours ago.

Interesting.

And if he has committed to the Ramblin' Wreck, it's a good fit both football wise and certainly academic wise. Nathan is a very bright kid who as I understand it is interesting in studying engineering, and of course, GaTech is among the very best in the south when it comes to engineering schools.

from the ajc article above....

“Well the situation I’m in with them being the first big school to offer, it put them in a situation where we are committed to you if you are committed to them,” Cottrell told the AJC.

“I thought and prayed about it for nearly three hours, and I feel like when I line up Georgia Tech with many other schools that are possible offers, I still love it here and there is not really any other school I would consider over Georgia Tech.”

This summer, Cottrell has been turning heads with his blazing speed. He was clocked at 4.36 seconds at Middle Tennessee State and 4.36 at Duke. Cottrell was timed at 4.33 by Georgia Tech, which generated an immediate offer.

“I ran a 4.33, and (Paul Johnson) said we have some 4.4 type guys but it’s very rare we see a consistent 4.3 guy,” Cottrell said.

Cottrell had around a dozen early offers, including Princeton, Wofford, Air Force and Western Carolina. His name was getting out fast to other colleges after his blazing 40 times.

“Well I really believe that I fit the offense (at Georgia Tech) very well because we run a very similar type of offense at my school. The education speaks for itself. I love the city. It’s awesome getting to play at the highest keel of football and get an amazing education.”

Reactions: 2 people
Glad to have him. Vols just don't have the room to take him. He would've continued to get other offers as he camped IMO.

Congrats to Nathan for doin' the work and earning the offer. He wanted a big offer and he got it. Best of luck...I think he will do well at a place like GT.

VN Store

Back