'15 TN ATH Nathan Cottrell

A good friend of mine played against Austin Rogers in high school. Said he was the fastest football player he had played against in his entire career. Said they would run a toss sweep, he'd hit the sidelines and that would be all she wrote.

That being said, I think Mr. Cottrell should be aquited of all charges. If OJ can get away with murder, why can't this kid run a 4.3?

Just noticed that UT recruit Bryce Love is smaller than Cottrell. Must be something in the film or field that is slowing down his recruitment, especially considering the lack of speed we've seen on UT's defense recently.

There are a lot of bad defensive plays where I simultaneously cringed and fantasized about having a defender that could actually catch someone from behind.

4.3 speed at nickelback would be nice. Even without Cottrell, it looks like speed help is now on campus. I think we will see (hopefully only on very rare occasions, due to lack of giving up big plays) E. Mosely run down any broken passes/runs... maybe the DC should consider sending all his players to a daily advanced geometry class to work on those angles.

I don't see this as being that complicated (probably because I have no clue). Two things:

1. NC is fast. Arguing this point is plain dumb.

2. His offer list says there must not be much more than speed to his game.

Yes, he has great stats. However, it's possible that when coaches see his tape, they see that those stats are solely a product of his speed. Speed alone will get you far in HS, not so much in the SEC, where the defenses are extremely fast, as well as knowledgeable.

Considering the attrition rate of current players, it appears 2015 will be another 25+ class. Should be room to take a flyer on a 4.3 local prospect?

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see this as being that complicated (probably because I have no clue). Two things:

Yes, he has great stats. However, it's possible that when coaches see his tape, they see that those stats are solely a product of his speed. Speed alone will get you far in HS, not so much in the SEC, where the defenses are extremely fast, as well as knowledgeable.

I agree there is obviously something about his game coaches are not buying into.

A simple concept I can't seem to get past though. If my guys do their job and block your guys, and this guy with the ball is faster than the one unblocked guy on defense, I will usually win that matchup and what conference it is does not matter.

Reactions: 3 people
If he puts up outstanding numbers again the offers will come. Just finished his junior year in hs and hasnt attended the summer camp circuits yet. Writing the kid off is a bit premature.

Reactions: 3 people
A simple concept I can't seem to get past though. If my guys do their job and block your guys, and this guy with the ball is faster than the one unblocked guy on defense, I will usually win that matchup and what conference it is does not matter.

Can't argue with this. It just makes sense. We should coach, Leb!

Can we offer him in track just to get his speed to UT? He doesn't have to play football but I'm sure the track program always needs sprinters.

Met today a MTSU QB commit who played twice against NC and knows him real well as well as a lot of our guys who signed last year. We talked about his speed but what surprised me was his comment that NC was really shifty and had great lateral movement.

He mentioned some bigger SEC schools that are interested in him and sounded like he was about to blow up. This is a kid talking who is about to play D1 himself so it would seem he may know something and is friends with him as well. TIFWIW but what surprised me is everyone on here can see his straight line speed but what he said was how good laterally he was as well as shifty. Just sharing

Met today a MTSU QB commit who played twice against NC and knows him real well as well as a lot of our guys who signed last year. We talked about his speed but what surprised me was his comment that NC was really shifty and had great lateral movement.

He mentioned some bigger SEC schools that are interested in him and sounded like he was about to blow up. This is a kid talking who is about to play D1 himself so it would seem he may know something and is friends with him as well. TIFWIW but what surprised me is everyone on here can see his straight line speed but what he said was how good laterally he was as well as shifty. Just sharing

Not really surprising if you consider his shuttle time in these events is considered elite as well. Just because you don't see a lot of dancing around and "shiftiness" in his film does not mean he does not have it. It just means vs the talent he is playing against in HS, he just does not really need it. he just runs by everyone.

Fast forward a couple of months and we'll know more. Once he hits up camps and goes up against better talent than what he faces in Knoxville, the offers will either come rolling in or coaches will decide he's just another fast white guy with small school talent. He knows he's generating some buzz so I'm sure he will take every opportunity to try to showcase more than just his speed by attending plenty of camps.

This a good study in recruiting for a kid who is really working it. Nathan has run sub 4.4s all spring. He's about to hit the big camps. We'll see what happens. Southern Ill. offered. My crystal ball...LSU.

LSU would be a good landing spot for the kid. I tell myself UT would probably slow play him with our class being smaller this year even if they wanted him. Smaller school offers probably would not trigger an offer from UT. Another SEC offer may have them looking at things again. Obviously the kid would not walk-on to UT with an LSU scholarship. Even if UT does not do anything with him, I hope he does well. Gotta give him respect for the #'s he continues to put up at camps.

Speed is speed but those camps always make scat backs look good. I've heard he doesnt always play that fast. No idea. I've never seen him.

VN Store

Back