Zero Top 100 Players

I disagree, the basketball schools are purchasing the top players and anyone who tries to interfere gets shafted. Hopefully he can pick one off here or there, who does not need a bag of cash, and keep this wheel turning.
Josiah James... and this is a great post. The thing I like most about Barnes is that we won't have our name being a part of any scandal like what is going on with the Adidas schools and those teams that were after Brian Bowen. Barnes is recruiting good kids who he knows he can develop and mold into a congruent team. It means that we will have some "rebuilding" years in between our successful ones, but that is a price we should be willing to pay for having a clean program in a time when this sport is dirtier than a diaper bin.

Crazy thing about this is the FBI, not NCAA, issued findings over a year ago, and outside of Pitino and mentioning of other schools that could be involved, there's not been a peep about this...but Pearl got 3 years show cause for lying about a kid being at a cookout.

He stuck his hand in the cookie jar.

When your men's basketball program has been through the:
Pearl BBQ
Cuonzo Martin petition
Donny Tindell
Has no Top 100 players on roster
Picked 13th outta 14 last year
And finished tied for 1st in Sec last year and is #1 in the nation right now......

This is the reason why two top recruiting classes and a roster full of blue chip talent underachieving will get Holly fired IMO. When you have the Jimmy's and Joe's and don't get it done, that falls back on her. They have time to turn it around and I hope they do but the men's and women's are two teams on two different trajectories right now.

This is a real testament to CRBs ability to develop and meld talent into a powerful team. That being said, we'll see this March/April if that is enough to overcome to raw talent head start that the blue bloods have coming. GBO!!!

That’s great and all, but there is no reason we shouldn’t be recruiting within the Top100.

Barnes should be comfortable recruiting within the Top100 and our facilities, etc, should have no trouble finding the right players.
Eh. Telling number 1 ranked Barnes what players he should try to choose from seems a bit miguided.

Josiah James... and this is a great post. The thing I like most about Barnes is that we won't have our name being a part of any scandal like what is going on with the Adidas schools and those teams that were after Brian Bowen. Barnes is recruiting good kids who he knows he can develop and mold into a congruent team. It means that we will have some "rebuilding" years in between our successful ones, but that is a price we should be willing to pay for having a clean program in a time when this sport is dirtier than a diaper bin.

I suspect what you say is true. But corruption creates a coverup mechanism that keeps insiders from exposing it. That's true in a variety of areas of life. One of my favorite things about Bruce Pearl was the fact that he DID blow the whistle when he was a coach. The media and BB establishment have ignored him and turned their backs on him in a lot of ways. He should be highly praised IMO for being a whistleblower. But, even he seems to have moved on and decided to "go with the flow" and get along with the establishment. You can imagine what the guy knows being in the profession.

I see CRB (I could be dead wrong) being the opposite of the corruption. The guy seems very high character off the court. Not in a "lights camera action, wow look how good he is" way either. He genuinely uses his position to quietly serve others. His recruiting is not stupid or flakey. He brings in high character guys and not so many MDAs etc. At least so far. His run the past two years should put him on the radar of plenty of higher ranked players tho. So, we'll see who and how he lands recruits.

This is just a private wish. But, I would love to see a guy like Barnes, or a FB coach retire and then completely spill the beans on the corruption nationwide. Nobody will because the power$ that be would utterly destroy them in any way possible.

That’s great and all, but there is no reason we shouldn’t be recruiting within the Top100.
Barnes should be comfortable recruiting within the Top100 and our facilities, etc, should have no trouble finding the right players.

He is. Don't forget what he inherited here and dealt with his first 2 years.

DJ Burns is easily top100. Had he not moved up to let us RS him he would be easily in that group this coming class. Josiah James speaks for himself. Barnes' "washed up and retiring at a dumspter fire program" cannot be sold by anyone on the recruiting trail now. The cats out of the bag.

Speaking of DJ, anyone have any info on his practice habits, etc? The little I have seen of him on the sidelines, he looks like he hasn't been hitting the S&C program like Admiral did. Then again, that dude at Duke is built kinda like that too. DJ gonna start day 1 next season??

Evaluation services cannot spot any diamond in the roughs...We have a few. Coaching evaluations are critical...

Eh. Telling number 1 ranked Barnes what players he should try to choose from seems a bit miguided.

We all know there are pleanty of flops within that top100 each year. I applaud finding and polishing ‘diamonds in the rough’. I just don’t want this year to be a ‘one off’ year and fall off into oblivion the following years until we get another Cinderella conglomerate of players 5 years down the road again.

I don’t really care for a reply, I know my point can be argued a million different ways, but I know what I’m talkin about.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
He is. Don't forget what he inherited here and dealt with his first 2 years.

DJ Burns is easily top100. Had he not moved up to let us RS him he would be easily in that group this coming class. Josiah James speaks for himself. Barnes' "washed up and retiring at a dumspter fire program" cannot be sold by anyone on the recruiting trail now. The cats out of the bag.
Fwiw, Burns was #103 on 247... He would have been higher if he was in better shape. Still, he is a very good prospect and a great kid. In an interview with Knox News, Burns cited Barnes' religious faith and the culture he has built at Tennessee around faith as a reason for choosing Tennessee. He should be a perfect fit here - just needs to commit himself to a diet and the weight room.

Fwiw, Burns was #103 on 247... He would have been higher if he was in better shape. Still, he is a very good prospect and a great kid. In an interview with Knox News, Burns cited Barnes' religious faith and the culture he has built at Tennessee around faith as a reason for choosing Tennessee. He should be a perfect fit here - just needs to commit himself to a diet and the weight room.

I do applaud the caliber of character Barnes finds and develops. I prefer that much more than the Pearl recruits we’d had in the past.

Speaking of DJ, anyone have any info on his practice habits, etc? The little I have seen of him on the sidelines, he looks like he hasn't been hitting the S&C program like Admiral did. Then again, that dude at Duke is built kinda like that too. DJ gonna start day 1 next season??
Rome wasn't built in a day. At no point during Admiral's freshman season did he look like he does today, either. Be patient. He's a 17-18 year old kid who is hopefully shedding baby fat in the gym.

Even though there's the lure of "one and done" guys, this shows, along with Villanova winning two of last three, that if you have veterans who are coached up, true team chemistry is winning out over "one and done'ers". We just have to keep playing hard. I don't care for our D the last few games, but if we get that dialed in, we'll be in the mix at the end.
Don't forget UNC. They won with vets.

We were fortunate realistically for kids like Williams, Schofield, bone, Bowden etc to develop into such great collegiate players. Of course, you’d also have to give a lot of credit to Barnes (and even cuonzo) for busting their asses to locate and develop these kids. It’s not going to happen overnight. Or on its own. So there been some really good leadership going on within the bball program for quite a while now. It’s a shame of course that the football program has been floundering throughout this same timeframe. But props to everyone that’s been working hard to get this basketball program to where it is.
Now going forward we’re entering that kinda Bruce pearl level where you’ve done so much with average recruits you’re all of the sudden able to get a few truly elite (Scotty hopson type) recruits. Hopefully Barnes will be selective and bring in a few hs stars while still looking for those under appreciated/chip on the shoulder/3 year players. Great job to everyone involved. Thanks for finally giving the fans an elite program we can be proud to support!!!

I suspect what you say is true. But corruption creates a coverup mechanism that keeps insiders from exposing it. That's true in a variety of areas of life. One of my favorite things about Bruce Pearl was the fact that he DID blow the whistle when he was a coach. The media and BB establishment have ignored him and turned their backs on him in a lot of ways. He should be highly praised IMO for being a whistleblower. But, even he seems to have moved on and decided to "go with the flow" and get along with the establishment. You can imagine what the guy knows being in the profession.

I see CRB (I could be dead wrong) being the opposite of the corruption. The guy seems very high character off the court. Not in a "lights camera action, wow look how good he is" way either. He genuinely uses his position to quietly serve others. His recruiting is not stupid or flakey. He brings in high character guys and not so many MDAs etc. At least so far. His run the past two years should put him on the radar of plenty of higher ranked players tho. So, we'll see who and how he lands recruits.

This is just a private wish. But, I would love to see a guy like Barnes, or a FB coach retire and then completely spill the beans on the corruption nationwide. Nobody will because the power$ that be would utterly destroy them in any way possible.
Agree 100%, but of course, you had better be keeping your own nose clean if you are going to be a whistleblower - guys like Thad Matta will by dying to call the NCAA on you.

Agree 100%, but of course, you had better be keeping your own nose clean if you are going to be a whistleblower - guys like Thad Matta will by dying to call the NCAA on you.

Yep. That's it. And he got a willing ear there too when he squealed. Over time they all learn to work together to keep the corrupt status quo. Does the name Jim Calhoun come to mind?

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Crazy thing about this is the FBI, not NCAA, issued findings over a year ago, and outside of Pitino and mentioning of other schools that could be involved, there's not been a peep about this...but Pearl got 3 years show cause for lying about a kid being at a cookout.

Well said. Plus, North Carolina doesn't seem to be in jeopardy of being held accountable for the proved rampant academic cheating that kept their players eligible. Sham system.

Reactions: VolDave53

VN Store

Back