Zero Top 100 Players

SIAP, but I thought this was really cool.

@PatMurrayWBIR

"Every team in the top ten of the AP poll has at least two players on its roster that were ranked in the top 100 as prospects. Except Tennessee. Tennessee has zero."
Even though there's the lure of "one and done" guys, this shows, along with Villanova winning two of last three, that if you have veterans who are coached up, true team chemistry is winning out over "one and done'ers". We just have to keep playing hard. I don't care for our D the last few games, but if we get that dialed in, we'll be in the mix at the end.

CRB has done an amazing job of evaluating these guys and developing them. I know Admiral has caught the eye of scouts as well as Kyle. I am confident that Bone, Williams, and Bowden will be evaluated thoroughly after their senior seasons next year. I know it is important to have highly rated recruits coming out of high school but I would rather have a bunch of NBA prospects on my team.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDave
It can be credibly argued that thanks to such things as the one-and-done rule and the NBA's apparent unfriendly attitude to college basketball with the advent of "B" leagues, college hoops has become the one sport where recruiting 2, 3 and 4 stars is favored over recruiting 5 star talent.

Reactions: njvols

@PatMurrayWBIR

"Every team in the top ten of the AP poll has at least two players on its roster that were ranked in the top 100 as prospects. Except Tennessee. Tennessee has zero."
Flip that to the women's side and you see why the Lady Vol nation is in constant disbelief.

Flip that to the women's side and you see why the Lady Vol nation is in constant disbelief.

True story. Also, the men's game has much tougher competition, as there is more talent throughout the league. The women's game still has a greater disparity between the top teams and the rest. She truly does less with more.

Just shows that these rankings are simply a measure of how good a kid is in high school but doesn’t and can’t assess how hard he’ll work to improve. Or measure the ability to play as a team.

True story. Also, the men's game has much tougher competition, as there is more talent throughout the league. The women's game still has a greater disparity between the top teams and the rest. She truly does less with more.
Yes, but the pool of talent is sooooooo much deeper in men's basketball than it is women's. Schools such as George Mason, VCU, Butler and Loyola-Chicago (ugh!) have all made the Final Four since 2006. They didn't have any top 100 players either.

Even though there's the lure of "one and done" guys, this shows, along with Villanova winning two of last three, that if you have veterans who are coached up, true team chemistry is winning out over "one and done'ers". We just have to keep playing hard. I don't care for our D the last few games, but if we get that dialed in, we'll be in the mix at the end.

We can't say that until the two games with Kentucky's current crop of one-and-dones are in the bag. That will not be easy by that point in the season. We should insist on opening league play with them.

@PatMurrayWBIR

That’s great and all, but there is no reason we shouldn’t be recruiting within the Top100.

Barnes should be comfortable recruiting within the Top100 and our facilities, etc, should have no trouble finding the right players.

Reactions: njvols
That’s great and all, but there is no reason we shouldn’t be recruiting within the Top100.

Barnes should be comfortable recruiting within the Top100 and our facilities, etc, should have no trouble finding the right players.

I disagree, the basketball schools are purchasing the top players and anyone who tries to interfere gets shafted. Hopefully he can pick one off here or there, who does not need a bag of cash, and keep this wheel turning.

I disagree, the basketball schools are purchasing the top players and anyone who tries to interfere gets shafted. Hopefully he can pick one off here or there, who does not need a bag of cash, and keep this wheel turning.
Crazy thing about this is the FBI, not NCAA, issued findings over a year ago, and outside of Pitino and mentioning of other schools that could be involved, there's not been a peep about this...but Pearl got 3 years show cause for lying about a kid being at a cookout.

VN Store

Back