Zach Kent has been...

Not real flashy, but could be one of your consistent Blue collar types. Has grown 4 inches since 2016 when he was playing PG for Fiba. Has the kind of frame that could add some bulk down low. Hard to question Barnes' eye for hidden talent. if I had my druthers I'd rather have Blackshear,but that's just wishful thinking at this point.

I agree Blackshear is obviously an immediate impact kind of guys and bars to assume ORN ever turns into that caliber of player...but if the staff likes him and his potential long term then it makes sense to take him if you can. It’s unlikely you get all 3, if you somehow do than maybe you find a way to make it work.

Not real flashy, but could be one of your consistent Blue collar types. Has grown 4 inches since 2016 when he was playing PG for Fiba. Has the kind of frame that could add some bulk down low. Hard to question Barnes' eye for hidden talent. if I had my druthers I'd rather have Blackshear,but that's just wishful thinking at this point.

Who do we have that’s proven in the post? I think that’s also part of it. Walker will be a junior and still not sure what we’re gonna get, Kent is more of a 4, Pember a 3/4, Fulk more of a 4, we haven’t seen Burns play...so looking ahead there’s not much as a 4/5 that’s physical and ready to bang down low, my guess is the staff likes ORN’s potential at doing that and getting him here and developing him is intriguing to them because they see that as a need going forward. Even Corey Walker is more a 3/4, Keon Johnson and Springer are perimeter guys, PJ Hall is a guy we have some traction with but you don’t want to rely on a freshman from Day 1 either.

Who do we have that’s proven in the post? I think that’s also part of it. Walker will be a junior and still not sure what we’re gonna get, Kent is more of a 4, Pember a 3/4, Fulk more of a 4, we haven’t seen Burns play...so looking ahead there’s not much as a 4/5 that’s physical and ready to bang down low, my guess is the staff likes ORN’s potential at doing that and getting him here and developing him is intriguing to them because they see that as a need going forward. Even Corey Walker is more a 3/4, Keon Johnson and Springer are perimeter guys, PJ Hall is a guy we have some traction with but you don’t want to rely on a freshman from Day 1 either.
Lots of pressure on Burns to come thru. Can fulky contribute as a 4 with no jump shot though?

Pitt, Illinois, Minnesota and Tennessee...not a bad 4 schools to be pursuing you, guess all the coaches are wrong? I’m not saying he’s a can’t miss guy but I’m a little hesitant to declare him a scrub if those 4 schools are pursuing him.
I'm not going to ultimately pretend I know more that the coaches from any of those schools. But, two things...one, schools are a little more desperate in the spring than they are the fall, and two, I trust my eyes. You know good and well I'm not one to piss on a kid just because of his rating. If I think a kid can play, he gets the benefit of the doubt. And I'm willing to say I'm wrong if he proves me wrong.

I'm not going to ultimately pretend I know more that the coaches from any of those schools. But, two things...one, schools are a little more desperate in the spring than they are the fall, and two, I trust my eyes. You know good and well I'm not one to piss on a kid just because of his rating. If I think a kid can play, he gets the benefit of the doubt. And I'm willing to say I'm wrong if he proves me wrong.

Oh 100%, which is why your stance on ORN surprises me, you’ve always been much more conservative in trusting coaches evals than to just declare the guy a bust before even stepping on campus.

There’s quite a few other post options that have been out there for Tennessee and those others involved as well...UT pulled the plug on Ihnen because of ORN, so I don’t think it’s a case of being desperate as much as it is that they truly like him as a prospect. I could turn out to have the egg on my face but when Barnes watched you for the first time and immediately offers I put some stock into that, again I could look foolish.

I don’t know if the staff had ORN over Ihnen, but Ramey mentioned that UT was out of the mix for Ihnen because Lanier left.

Oh 100%, which is why your stance on ORN surprises me, you’ve always been much more conservative in trusting coaches evals than to just declare the guy a bust before even stepping on campus.

There’s quite a few other post options that have been out there for Tennessee and those others involved as well...UT pulled the plug on Ihnen because of ORN, so I don’t think it’s a case of being desperate as much as it is that they truly like him as a prospect. I could turn out to have the egg on my face but when Barnes watched you for the first time and immediately offers I put some stock into that, again I could look foolish.
To be clear, I am not explicitly declaring him a bust, necessarily. I just believe we would be better off using that scholarship on someone who can come in and make an immediate impact (Blacksheer, perhaps) or saving the scholarship for someone in the 2020 class. I just hate to see it be used on someone I doubt makes an impact. And if we land him, or even if he don't, I hope he kills it. I don't wish him to fail just so I can sit back and say I told you so.

To be clear, I am not explicitly declaring him a bust, necessarily. I just believe we would be better off using that scholarship on someone who can come in and make an immediate impact (Blacksheer, perhaps) or saving the scholarship for someone in the 2020 class. I just hate to see it be used on someone I doubt makes an impact. And if we land him, or even if he don't, I hope he kills it. I don't wish him to fail just so I can sit back and say I told you so.

I trust Barnes, but I am also with you on this.
I know Barnes knows what he is doing. I am also sure Barnes thinks the guy can prob turn into a good to decent player. However right now this team is clogged up with "developing" players. Some who still need to develop, some who simply haven't developed. "If" that is true, I say keep the spot for an immediate help player, or at least for a possible immediate help 20 recruit.

Tennessee was in a place they had to get development players; however now they are in a position to obtain better prospect............ones that can help or be great immediately. No need to clog up roster spots even more.

I understand he could be good, but its a much bigger chance than they could take. If it doesn't work out great Tennessee could be even more strapped for quality roster spots.

I trust Barnes, but I am also with you on this.
I know Barnes knows what he is doing. I am also sure Barnes thinks the guy can prob turn into a good to decent player. However right now this team is clogged up with "developing" players. Some who still need to develop, some who simply haven't developed. "If" that is true, I say keep the spot for an immediate help player, or at least for a possible immediate help 20 recruit.

Tennessee was in a place they had to get development players; however now they are in a position to obtain better prospect............ones that can help or be great immediately. No need to clog up roster spots even more.

I understand he could be good, but its a much bigger chance than they could take. If it doesn't work out great Tennessee could be even more strapped for quality roster spots.

Yep.

There was no reason for Kent to play this season. We had Grant, Admiral, Kyle and Walker. Barnes knew what he was doing, and that was elongating the career of a 4 year player - a player with length that we're going to need much more moving forward as opposed to supplementing the size we had this year. I never thought Kent was a bust. He benefits from a learning year, we benefit from it later. I'm excited to see what this team looks like, honestly. It will be a different style of play, but I don't think we will be hurting as bad as a lot of people think.

There was no reason for Kent to play this season. We had Grant, Admiral, Kyle and Walker. Barnes knew what he was doing, and that was elongating the career of a 4 year player - a player with length that were going to need much more moving forward as opposed to supplementing the size we had this year. I never thought Kent was a bust. He benefits from a learning year, we benefit from it later. I'm excited to see what this team looks like, honestly. It will be a different style of play, but I don't think we will be hurting as bad as a lot of people think.
I agree

Can fulky contribute as a 4 with no jump shot though?
He shoots it well from thefree throw line and to this point has been needed more for interior defense and rebounding. Hopefully being freed up a little bit in the offense and a little confidence after seeing a few go down will help with that.

There was no reason for Kent to play this season. We had Grant, Admiral, Kyle and Walker. Barnes knew what he was doing, and that was elongating the career of a 4 year player - a player with length that we're going to need much more moving forward as opposed to supplementing the size we had this year. I never thought Kent was a bust. He benefits from a learning year, we benefit from it later. I'm excited to see what this team looks like, honestly. It will be a different style of play, but I don't think we will be hurting as bad as a lot of people think.

That's assuming he gets a redshirt for this year which doesn't seem clear at all

Reactions: cncchris33
Would have to be medical which at best means we have to fudge the rules
My understanding is that he hasn’t played the last two seasons due to medical reasons. If even vaguely true, he’s eligible to apply for an additional year...no fudge involved.

Reactions: Lefteye
My understanding is that he hasn’t played the last two seasons due to medical reasons. If even vaguely true, he’s eligible to apply for an additional year...no fudge involved.

Well the fudge would involve the reason being He was out both years entirely due to season ending injuries.

The fudge would be covering up that he was a full participant in practice much of this year which means he really didn't have a season ending injury

Well the fudge would involve the reason being He was out both years entirely due to season ending injuries.

The fudge would be covering up that he was a full participant in practice much of this year which means he really didn't have a season ending injury
Your interpretation...which tends to run conspiratorial. 😏 That “full participant much of the year” ever been confirmed by anybody credible?

Believe it when I see it
Better put your glasses on. We know he is a good shooter including the three. It was said he was a smart player and he has 2 years of good coaching. I think that his play is the reason we had a couple of players leaving. We will know this Fall.

VN Store

Back