Zaay Green

So I have a serious question... would people rather we keep a rule breaker for their talent (not saying this was the case with Zaay) because of potential wins or would people rather get the program back to a standard of accountability?

Fans (me included) complained about the discipline and the ladies not living up to the standard and now that this may cost us a player ... a player I really had hope for and loved to watch... it seems as if those thoughts and comments have been thrown by the wayside.

Me I would love to see the student athlete overcome whatever it was and stick it out if they can and it doesn’t cause any harm to them, the team, or program as a whole. Now there were situations like physical altercations where leaving is just the best option of continuous breaking of rules.
Let's see....if she was having an affair with the coach's husband ( not saying this was the case with Zaay ) ...or
let me see.......if she was having an affair with the coach
( not saying this was the case with Zaay )
.........let me think on this some ....hmmmmmm.
I think we better take a rule breaker one at a time
and let the power to be handle the SHITutation.

If she was talented as Parker or Taurasi (not saying this was the case with Zaay ) I would just turn my head and act like it didnt happen.
Maybe. Hmmmmm.

Stay positive
These players with all the transfer well have difficulties going into the pro game. You can not just jump up and leave a team because things are not going your way. This sad with Zay Greene, why she just didn't leave when she got hurt...terrible...

Since it's going to be reported in the media shortly, Green has a misdemeanor drug case pending in Knox County. She has a court date in May, but that's up in the air because of court closures due to coronavirus.
Wasn't she under doctor's care.?

Do you run red lights?
Do you cheat on your spouse?
Do you disobey the laws of the land?
Of course you don't, because there are consequences.

The team members are made aware of the team rules, and the consequences for breaking said rules...I hate this as much as any fan does...I was looking forward to seeing Green play next season...But, without upholding the rules of the team, you might as well give the players the arena keys, and tell them to lock up when they're done.

You don't keep rule breakers because usually the rules are limited to serious offenses that you can't allow to go on. Players know there are a few rules you can't break and remain on the team any player that goes there has to be released no other way to even have team rules. If you let one player by then others will think hey I can do that too.

Just curious. Is there a rule in effect that players are not allowed to date other players? Just seems this could cause internal issues.

Just curious. Is there a rule in effect that players are not allowed to date other players? Just seems this could cause internal issues.

That doesn't seem to be an issue with the men's teams. Same for coaches dating players.

Men just aren't woke enough.

Last edited:
What in the hell are you talking about? The class with Green and Mass was a top five class and both five star prospects. Just how much better recruits do they need? The fact is, they were recruited under Holly, stayed to give Harper a chance, and left. Kelly inherited more talent than she’s ever had as a coach, period, and it’s not close. The team fell apart and got worse as the year went along.

The year before they were rated the #1 class by many. The issue hasn’t been talent level, but coaching.

Anyone who wants to try painting the loss of two 5 star starters as no big deal, or a move to get “better” players, is out of their frigging mind. Maybe Kellie can talk to her husband. If you want to know what to expect just look at her record at NC State. 70-64 in four years and fired. That’s horrible and it’s pretty sad that at this stage that’s all UT can get.

Yep. The fact that people are painting this picture of Kellie taking over a talent-challenged team is ridiculous. But our fanbase loves defending marginal-to-bad coaches. They did it for years with Holly despite the writing being on the wall from day one, so I'm not at all surprised that it's happening with Kellie, especially given her status as one of the most popular former players in program history.

Holly's problem wasn't recruiting. It was coaching. I mean, the recruiting classes weren't probably on part with say UConn or Baylor, but the issue was her lack of player development. And Kellie and her staff haven't shown anywhere near that competence in recruiting just yet. I don't see how anyone can objectively say that the hire was correct as of yet. Still too early to tell but the signs point to things not getting better, and even potentially going even further downhill.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Yep. The fact that people are painting this picture of Kellie taking over a talent-challenged team is ridiculous. But our fanbase loves defending marginal-to-bad coaches. They did it for years with Holly despite the writing being on the wall from day one, so I'm not at all surprised that it's happening with Kellie, especially given her status as one of the most popular former players in program history.

Holly's problem wasn't recruiting. It was coaching. I mean, the recruiting classes weren't probably on part with say UConn or Baylor, but the issue was her lack of player development. And Kellie and her staff haven't shown anywhere near that competence in recruiting just yet. I don't see how anyone can objectively say that the hire was correct as of yet. Still too early to tell but the signs point to things not getting better, and even potentially going even further downhill.
I hope she does well, but if she wasn't a former lady vol no one would be excited about the hire. In fact, they'd be going nuts after what has just happened. Losing two five-star starters to transfer is nothing short of disaster.

I hope she does well, but if she wasn't a former lady vol no one would be excited about the hire. In fact, they'd be going nuts after what has just happened. Losing two five-star starters to transfer is nothing short of disaster.

Kellie won at Mizz st with no stars
She doesn't need to recruit what can be made

People on this board talk of the lack of believability in the "star"-grading system of athletes anyway
maybe she is of the same thought
She wants heart and ambition moreso than constellations

I my self am of that thought, give me an athlete that will give me everything and follow my lead over one rated higher than her with entitlement issues.
(This IS NOT to say that Zaay or Jaz had this)...but more so to say, maybe that is why she didn't go after what everybody wanted and went after what she wanted

My hope is that Kellie is putting her foot down and getting back to the old ways of Tennessee where there are rules and expectations for these young ladies and they are expected to follow them. If the players don’t like being held accountable then they can leave or shouldn’t come here in the first place. I feel like players today are lazy and don’t like rules and coaches are scared to discipline and teach good players because they are afraid that they will leave 🤷🏻‍♀️

And Kellie and her staff haven't shown anywhere near that competence in recruiting just yet. I don't see how anyone can objectively say that the hire was correct as of yet. Still too early to tell but the signs point to things not getting better, and even potentially going even further downhill.

Are you a "glass half empty" kind of person in all aspects of your life, or just when it comes to discussing the Lady Vols basketball team?
You start off acknowledging that it is too soon to make an objective assessment, but then immediately slide into the negative predictions. Almost, in my opinion, like you want this coach and staff to fail.

If it's "too early to tell", how about waiting a reasonable time to make an assessment? And, until then just go along and enjoy the ride!

Jim

Are you a "glass half empty" kind of person in all aspects of your life, or just when it comes to discussing the Lady Vols basketball team?
You start off acknowledging that it is too soon to make an objective assessment, but then immediately slide into the negative predictions. Almost, in my opinion, like you want this coach and staff to fail.

If it's "too early to tell", how about waiting a reasonable time to make an assessment? And, until then just go along and enjoy the ride!

Jim

I said "the signs point to", which is code for "as it looks right now" which isn't making a prediction as much as it's making a (very obvious) observation. Things change. That's life. Based on the history of the program over the last few years, they won't. I shouldn't have to explain this to you, Jim. You've been around for years and I know for a fact you're smarter than that. Also, this isn't The Summitt so stop acting like it is.

Once again, fans need to be pissed off over the state of the program, not pissed off at fans for pointing out the state of the program. You actually have the gaul to whine about negative predictions about this program at this point? Are you serious right now? We've been going downhill for years and you're seriously going to chastise fans for not towing the line and having the nerve to feel pessimistic? LOL. That's your tale, I sit on mine. I don't work for the AD like some posters on here and other boards do. It's not my job to go online and spread propaganda in order to keep fans interested in coming to games. I've been a fan of the program for many years and have posted on the various message boards for going on 20 years now. I've always kept it real and that won't change. It's not my job to keep anyone out of their feels when they hear an opinion that they don't like.

Kellie won at Mizz st with no stars
She doesn't need to recruit what can be made

People on this board talk of the lack of believability in the "star"-grading system of athletes anyway
maybe she is of the same thought
She wants heart and ambition moreso than constellations

I my self am of that thought, give me an athlete that will give me everything and follow my lead over one rated higher than her with entitlement issues.
(This IS NOT to say that Zaay or Jaz had this)...but more so to say, maybe that is why she didn't go after what everybody wanted and went after what she wanted
No one is getting high level players in that conference. Horrible comparison. When she did coach at a higher level program she literally fell on her face.

I think 5-stars are entitled. Entitled to exceptional coaching. I don’t think KJH is an exceptional coach .

For a program at the level of UT this is like Alabama accepting Mike Shula because he’s an alum.

No one is getting high level players in that conference. Horrible comparison. When she did coach at a higher level program she literally fell on her face.

I think 5-stars are entitled. Entitled to exceptional coaching. I don’t think KJH is an exceptional coach .

For a program at the level of UT this is like Alabama accepting Mike Shula because he’s an alum.

Just wondering who you think this exceptional coach would be? Did you think Muffet, Kim, Geno, Dawn, Brenda, Tara, Kim, Jeff, Wes, or someone else was going to give up the current good gigs they have and/or take a >50% pay cut (assuming the Univ would pay them twice what they were paying CHW) to come to Tenn where the fans are perennially unhappy?

Just wondering who you think this exceptional coach would be? Did you think Muffet, Kim, Geno, Dawn, Brenda, Tara, Kim, Jeff, Wes, or someone else was going to give up the current good gigs they have and/or take a >50% pay cut (assuming the Univ would pay them twice what they were paying CHW) to come to Tenn where the fans are perennially unhappy?
You have kicked dog syndrome. UT WAS women’s basketball. Now we’re talking like this?

Frozen, you are a realist. You're talking to unrealists.

Saban's name keeps coming up as a yardstick. All right then...if it's so easy to hire him, why didn't we? All we had to do was top his $9 million salary and convince him to leave a cushy job with recruits begging to play there...with a program that could show Alvin Kamara the door and not miss a beat...in order to come to a program that was flailing around at the bottom of SEC East. What about Mullen? Or Gundy? Or Peterson? Or any number of coaches contacted...none who wanted to come to UT? How about Swinney or Smart or Harbaugh or Fisher? Or everyone's favorite fantasy date, Gruden?

The time when we could have afforded a top name was back in 2012. But we went with a loyal assistant with no head coaching experience. In the interim, other coaches and assistants rose to prominence at South Carolina, Mississippi State, Oregon, etc.

We probably had a realistic shot at Wes Moore (whom I thought would have been a possible short-term stabilizing solution), but many members here couldn't accept his hair or wig or whatever criitter lives on his head.

There were other realistic possibilities for the UT job, but some of those had their own struggles last year. And, besides the top names who were never coming here, there were other unrealistic or unqualified (inexperienced, unproven) favorites mentioned (Hammon, Lawson, Parker).

Kellie checked a lot of the right boxes and had the hot hand. As Frozen said, who are these Saban (Auriemma)-level candidates who were eager to sign a contract here? The same types who wanted to come coach football?

Tranferring is the way of the world now so kellie and staff needs to adjust and adjust fast if you are not goin to be able to recruit at a high level (TENNESSEE STANDARDS) u better be wrking yo tail off in the transfer portal we cannot afford to lose this kind of talent and not replace it and the way we are recruiting now this is a cause for concern the players you won with at missouri state will not get it done here i love kellie and her mindset tho im jus venting lol..

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTime
I hope Zay has a good plan for herself and can make the plan work. Win, lose or draw (overtime) I don't want to miss a single epic game played by whatever group of lady vols get to play each basketball season. I am unhappy only when I can't view a game on T.V. or the internet due to programming. I'm not much of a radio fan. Even so I
find myself tuning in and listening when necessary to not miss the action

VN Store

Back