Yves Pons is the most consistent scorer on the team

These forums are hilarious. I post a thread stating that player x is the most consistent on our team and no one argues it they just all come in and give some tangential gripe they have which in a way makes my whole point. Everyone always complains about him yet he is still the most consistent player on the team.

Consistent means he delivers x amount reliably. It does not mean perfectly it means if he averages 10 points and 8 rebounds he's not having a bunch of 30 point games or 20 rebound games followed by 2 points 3 rebound games. does he hit that mark exactly every time no. But compared to everyone else on the team he is more likely to produce his average than anyone else. He shows up to work every day and is a known quantity. We might want more from him but honestly if you have a team where you know pretty much what each guy gives you each night that makes life easier for a coach than a bunch of guys that can be hot or cold. Does anyone have thoughts on that?
What is the goal of this post? You bumped this thread as some means of patting yourself on the back, and 3 hours later, you go on a tangent about complaints that haven’t even happened in the time since you bumped if. Are you just wanting someone to argue the other side with you? What is your end game, here?

You noted that Pons was consistent early on, so kudos for that call, but I can’t see where anyone has gone out of their way to defiantly argue to the contrary. Not in this thread in the 3 hours since you brought it up, again, anyway.

Reactions: JoAllan and Vol49er
actually no I did not... it was bumped by someone else check timestamps

I brought up the fact that people are very negative and find reasons to bash kids instead of being positive supporting the team and enjoying life. It's like folks are miserable and want to project that on others. You've been around these forums long enough to have seen at least some of my posts. I try to always be positive and constructive. It annoys me when people are just negative for the sake of being negative. Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws and problems but try to give valid solutions other than I hate this guy for some random reason so replace him with this worse guys because ummm uhhhh. It's like a cycle. It happened with Dobbs its happening with JG. It was happening with Pons. People set these huge u realistic goals for these kids and when they don't immediately live up to them they trash them. I wouldn't have such a problem if it was against guys that had issues.

When folks went HAM on JJ I disagreed but there was a perspective I could see. People who might take issue with his behavior. But Pons? JG? Afaik these kids have never had issues on or off the court. They show up and give their best. Maybe it didn't win us games. Maybe they 'underperformed' expectations but they did what they could. If there was an inkling these kids were lazy or they were getting in trouble that's one thing but this is someone's kid folks are tearing down and these are kids doing their best. We might want more but it's what we have. We should support them. Not saying bad behavior shouldn't be called out. But don't knock a kid for not being good enough if he's trying. Give em support like real fans.

Now most of that's not directed at you. You've been critical of players but not meritlessly so. Your targets are mostly coaches in my reading. They are fair game, grown men getting paid to do a job. I'm just saying I wish we could be a tad more constructive around here. If only one person reads this and gets something from it then I made my point. I don't care about likes or replies. I speak my mind and go about my life for the most part. Just typing the words out is my therapy. But you're right I do enjoy a good debate they are just rare here. It's normally just someone regurgitating something they heard someone else say. People kept repeating how much more accurate Maurer was than KG all season even though the numbers showed nothing could be further from the truth. It bothered me people were knocking the lid for the wrong stuff. He has some major flaws in his game but they are rarely the topic of discussion and that's annoying. It's like talking to a pack of parrots sometimes.

You are correct, my mistake. It still doesn't change the issue of your post I quoted, though.
And actually it does. Your whole premise was I bumped the thread for attention. I just so happened to notice someone bumped it after I'd made a reference to it earlier today. I found that funny then read some replies and was annoyed they just were trying to bash the kid.

I brought up the fact that people are very negative and find reasons to bash kids instead of being positive supporting the team and enjoying life. It's like folks are miserable and want to project that on others. You've been around these forums long enough to have seen at least some of my posts. I try to always be positive and constructive. It annoys me when people are just negative for the sake of being negative. Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws and problems but try to give valid solutions other than I hate this guy for some random reason so replace him with this worse guys because ummm uhhhh. It's like a cycle. It happened with Dobbs its happening with JG. It was happening with Pons. People set these huge u realistic goals for these kids and when they don't immediately live up to them they trash them. I wouldn't have such a problem if it was against guys that had issues.

When folks went HAM on JJ I disagreed but there was a perspective I could see. People who might take issue with his behavior. But Pons? JG? Afaik these kids have never had issues on or off the court. They show up and give their best. Maybe it didn't win us games. Maybe they 'underperformed' expectations but they did what they could. If there was an inkling these kids were lazy or they were getting in trouble that's one thing but this is someone's kid folks are tearing down and these are kids doing their best. We might want more but it's what we have. We should support them. Not saying bad behavior shouldn't be called out. But don't knock a kid for not being good enough if he's trying. Give em support like real fans.

Now most of that's not directed at you. You've been critical of players but not meritlessly so. Your targets are mostly coaches in my reading. They are fair game, grown men getting paid to do a job. I'm just saying I wish we could be a tad more constructive around here. If only one person reads this and gets something from it then I made my point. I don't care about likes or replies. I speak my mind and go about my life for the most part. Just typing the words out is my therapy. But you're right I do enjoy a good debate they are just rare here. It's normally just someone regurgitating something they heard someone else say. People kept repeating how much more accurate Maurer was than KG all season even though the numbers showed nothing could be further from the truth. It bothered me people were knocking the lid for the wrong stuff. He has some major flaws in his game but they are rarely the topic of discussion and that's annoying. It's like talking to a pack of parrots sometimes.
I just don’t see what you’re referring to when you act like people were bashing Pons mercilessly. It seems like people either agreed with you or disagreed and offered valid reasons why, while still acknowledging Yves is a good player who can become great

Good thread man, I always thought Yves had potential as well! Over the summer people were trashing him over his low stats in limited usage in the French league. I definitely know where you’re coming from.

I'd like to see Pons grab a few more rebounds and be a bigger threat from the FT line. In 14 games he's 21 for 33. He could draw more fouls and his 2-point and 3-point percentages are pretty good. He should be able to up his FT percentage.

Reactions: walkenvol
I agree with the OP that Pons consistently delivers each night however I think he has the ability to deliver much more. The guy is a legit talent and is capable of averaging 18/8. He could be a college Dale Ellis for you older guys.

I was really encouraged in the MZ game how in the second half he started battling much harder for post position. Unfortunately, the guards weren’t feeding him the ball consistently. I’ll bet CRB gets that corrected.

If Pons adopts that same aggressiveness battling for rebounding position also, then there’s a very realistic chance he could move on to the NBA.

I agree with the OP that Pons consistently delivers each night however I think he has the ability to deliver much more. The guy is a legit talent and is capable of averaging 18/8. He could be a college Dale Ellis for you older guys.

I was really encouraged in the MZ game how in the second half he started battling much harder for post position. Unfortunately, the guards weren’t feeding him the ball consistently. I’ll bet CRB gets that corrected.

If Pons adopts that same aggressiveness battling for rebounding position also, then there’s a very realistic chance he could move on to the NBA.
Not sure if you are talking about the 2020 draft for Pons, or 2021, but I see no way he is drafted this year, personally. He is basically a far less skilled Grant Williams in terms of size. He trumps Williams in every physical and athletic category, yet he averages just under 5 rpg. He would need to be a perimeter player at the NBA level, and outside of his spot-up 3, which he has really developed, he has no other significant perimeter move. He can’t take NBA SFs off the dribble and he hasn’t shown an ability to create his own shot. Not saying he can’t eventually do those things, but those are the things I think he needs to work on this offseason and next year to make himself a more draftable asset. Right now, he is a very limited, though improved, basketball player.

I think Pons tends to disappear in some games. He was so good in that 'off-the-bench ' role, hard to get adjusted to this season.

But, we really don't have anyone else who has been consistent. Streaky type offensive team.

Hoping Santiago will be our Mr. Consistent.

I'd like to see Pons grab a few more rebounds and be a bigger threat from the FT line. In 14 games he's 21 for 33. He could draw more fouls and his 2-point and 3-point percentages are pretty good. He should be able to up his FT percentage.

I’m shocked he’s made that many honestly. I thought he was under 50%

Just went back through the thread looking for somebody that “bashed the kid”. There’s 1 person bringing up his pts against Chatt, which I would agree is silly, but where is the bashing exactly, in your mind? You had way more support to your OP than opposition or disrespecting to Pons. Imo

I’m not a debater, just conversating

Not sure if you are talking about the 2020 draft for Pons, or 2021, but I see no way he is drafted this year, personally. He is basically a far less skilled Grant Williams in terms of size. He trumps Williams in every physical and athletic category, yet he averages just under 5 rpg. He would need to be a perimeter player at the NBA level, and outside of his spot-up 3, which he has really developed, he has no other significant perimeter move. He can’t take NBA SFs off the dribble and he hasn’t shown an ability to create his own shot. Not saying he can’t eventually do those things, but those are the things I think he needs to work on this offseason and next year to make himself a more draftable asset. Right now, he is a very limited, though improved, basketball player.
Don’t disagree with your points concerning the areas Pons needs to improve. We’ve seen so much improvement from him this season compared to the first 2 years. As you’ve pointed out he can take further strides to greatly improve his skill set. My impression is the nba drafts more on potential than college production. Whether Pons catches their eye this year, next, or never is still to be determined.

Reactions: cncchris33
I worry a little about Pons turning pro in Europe after this year. I don't know where he stands in terms of graduation.

Reactions: walkenvol
Pons 0-7 from the floor today - harder to make a case for "most consistent scorer."

Hands down the most consistent shot blocker, though.

He got jinxed.

He needed to just stop shooting 3's today. Needs to go to the rack more

Pons, Bowden and Johnson 1-29

He got jinxed.

He needed to just stop shooting 3's today. Needs to go to the rack more

Pons, Bowden and Johnson 1-29

He lacks the body control to go to the rack. Dude looks like a deer in headlights whenever he drives in for a contested shot.

VN Store

Back