Yves Pons is the most consistent scorer on the team

I don’t know about that, he did put up just five points I believe against Chat the other day. But I’m coming around to the idea that he’s our best all around player this year

Reactions: Vols All Day
I don’t know about that, he did put up just five points I believe against Chat the other day. But I’m coming around to the idea that he’s our best all around player this year
The evidence says you are correct.

Pons is still too passive with the ball... but yeah he should be the one consistently driving the lane not Turner

I'm pretty sure I said most consistent, not perfect. He is the most consistent scorer on the team period. Yes he had a game he only scored 5 but compared to everyone else on the team he has this far had less instances of that.

Or can you point out someone else on the team that's been more consistent? The only one I can think of is JJJ but that's consistency in the other direction.

When the game is on the line, I disagree.
Yeah, that was an awesome shot! Overall, though, I don't think Turner's shot is right because of those shoulder surgeries. This year, he's less than 31% from the floor, with only a 27% 3 point percentage. This follows last year's 42% FG percentage with 32% from behind the arc. By comparison, before the injury in his sophomore year, he shot 39.5% 3 point percentage. He's more of a liability jacking up shots these days. Bowden's hitting 44% and Pons 39% from three point range, for comparison.

Yeah, that was an awesome shot! Overall, though, I don't think Turner's shot is right because of those shoulder surgeries. This year, he's less than 31% from the floor, with only a 27% 3 point percentage. This follows last year's 42% FG percentage with 32% from behind the arc. By comparison, before the injury in his sophomore year, he shot 39.5% 3 point percentage. He's more of a liability jacking up shots these days. Bowden's hitting 44% and Pons 39% from three point range, for comparison.
VN rule #1: don't bring logic or stats to the board

Pons 87 points on 60 attempts and Fulkerson 76 points on 40 attempts definitely mean we should try to get them more attempts. Turner 100 points on 98 attempts is at least over 1 point per attempt but he would service the team better by trying to get the inside guys more touches.

Reactions: Roustabout
Pons 87 points on 60 attempts and Fulkerson 76 points on 40 attempts definitely mean we should try to get them more attempts. Turner 100 points on 98 attempts is at least over 1 point per attempt but he would service the team better by trying to get the inside guys more touches.
The key to that, though, is that those two players have to get in position and demand the ball more. I saw flashes of that from Pons more recently. He, especially, can’t just be a facilitator. He has to want the ball and go score it. I think he still lacks confidence in his ball-handling, which is why he is most often apt to simply pass it off or hand it back off to Turner along the perimeter.

Somehow you have to put Fulky's weakness of not being able to catch and hold onto entry passes into the efficiency equation. He seems to have improved a little but it reared it's ugly head again against Florida State.

Somehow you have to put Fulky's weakness of not being able to catch and hold onto entry passes into the efficiency equation. He seems to have improved a little but it reared it's ugly head again against Florida State.
He made 2 turnovers on 1 play!! He's on the floor a bit too much to my liking as well. I love his passion and energy though.

So Fulk is the most efficient scorer on the team.

I know its still early but Pons is getting some attention.

NBA Draft prospect rankings: Big board of top 60 players in 2020 class
#52 Yves Pons
I hope Pons stays, but I can see him leaving. He's going to test incredibly well in a combine setting. 44 inch vertical, probably a 7-0 foot wingspan, going to be one of the strongest players regardless of position.

He still has plenty to work on, and he'd be a project on offense, but just seeing the jump he's made this year offensively, I'd like to see what another year under barnes might do for him. Needs to tighten up his handle and be able to attack the basket more consistently, and continue to improve his jumper. In the NBA he wouldn't be taking these mid range post jumpers which would hurt his effectiveness on offense. Works for us, but just not the reality of the NBA.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I totally agree that Pons is the best (most consistent) offensive player on the team. In fact I was disappointed several times in the Mizzou game where he had great position in the post and the guards did not deliver the ball. His back to the basket turn around jumper is almost unstoppable. Fulky's efficiency is also excellent, although he needs to "want" to shoot more. I think Pons wants the ball and our guards need to share it more often. As we saw the last 2 years, Barnes offense flows much better through the post. While Pons and Fulky are no Grant and Admiral, they are playing those roles in our offense and both need 25% more touches at least every game. That would also take the pressure off Bowden AND result in him getting more open looks from the perimeter off of inside-out ball movement. If I am Barnes I am harping on Bowden, Gaines, Vescovi, and James to feed Fulky and Pons. Now, those guys also need to be sure and have positions, which both can struggle with, especially Fulky against bigger guys. It does give me hope for improvement though as I we saw it more in the Mizzou game.

I don't think he is getting enough shots and in a lot of cases it is his fault for passing up shots.

These forums are hilarious. I post a thread stating that player x is the most consistent on our team and no one argues it they just all come in and give some tangential gripe they have which in a way makes my whole point. Everyone always complains about him yet he is still the most consistent player on the team.

Consistent means he delivers x amount reliably. It does not mean perfectly it means if he averages 10 points and 8 rebounds he's not having a bunch of 30 point games or 20 rebound games followed by 2 points 3 rebound games. does he hit that mark exactly every time no. But compared to everyone else on the team he is more likely to produce his average than anyone else. He shows up to work every day and is a known quantity. We might want more from him but honestly if you have a team where you know pretty much what each guy gives you each night that makes life easier for a coach than a bunch of guys that can be hot or cold. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

I posted this on November 22nd:
“I love Turner, Bowden and Fulk........but right now Pons is the best player on the team. He has been consistent through every game (so far). He plays good D, scores, rebounds, blocks, and doesn’t turn it over a ton (tied for least of the starting players).”

and it created some flack....but I think everyone agrees Pons is playing very well.

I wasn’t and I’m not saying Pons is the best player.....but at that point he was playing the best on the team.

there are a lot of folks who agreed with with you.......as I certainly did.....at that point.

before the season I didn’t think there was any way Pons could be even close to one of the best players.

VN Store

Back