You get what you pay for.

Our head coach, in year two, is the 5th highest paid coach of 14 SEC schools.

Our assistant coaches and strength coach are paid at top rates in the country.

You utter dolt.

Tennessee is the program that goes out and drops $80k on a new Jaguar and then is *shocked* when it breaks down and has electrical issues.

Just because we're spending a lot of money doesn't mean we're spending it well.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
What is going to add to this debacle? Profits! I believe due to Beer sales, we may actually see the most profitable year (stadium wise) that we've ever seen! The AD always looks at the bottom line, CP is okay and will remain okay as long as revenue is on the increase. I don't know what the beer sales were for the BYU game, but, I would not be surprised to fine out we made a million dollars, over and above. In the end, it is a business, as long as the AD is maximizing profits, the W-L record is just back ground noise.

Tennessee has gone cheap on its last three coaching hires over the past 10 seasons (dating back to Dooley) and the results are exactly what you’d expect:

Zero division championships
Zero top 20 finishes
Five soon (soon to be six) losing seasons
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

My God, that’s depressing to type. During that time, we hired three coaches in Dooley, Butch and Pruitt with zero HC experience at the P5 level. Dooley and Butch were spectacular failures (Dooley much more so than Butch), and Pruitt appears to be the same. I see some people around here still defending Pruitt and saying to give him more time....NO. He needs to be gone after this year. He’s had two offseasons to instill his culture and put his mark on this program, and the result of that was getting dominated in the trenches by a 2-10 Sun Belt team and following that up with a embarrassing loss to BYU plagued with mental errors. He is NOT the guy, and the longer we keep him around, the longer we prolong the long road back to relevance. While it’s easy to spend other people’s money, I maintain it’s much more expensive to keep the wrong guy than splurge on hiring the right guy. If you don’t believe me, check out all the empty seats at Neyland for the rest of this season (except for the UGA game, which will probably be 1/3 Dawg fans, if not more). It’s beyond perplexing to me that Tennessee invests gobs of money into building spectacular football facilities and isn’t willing to hire a proven coach who can use those facilities to build an elite program.

We all wished for a guy like Gruden, and while he would’ve been awesome, it was never happening. But our failure to land a Gary Patterson or a Chris Peterson or a Dan Mullen or a Mike Gundy has us where we are today — a national laughingstock. Not only does Pruitt need to be canned in November, but he needs to be replaced with a proven P5 head coach. Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of candidates:

Tier One — Grand Slams

Urban Meyer - I find it hard to believe that his comment about UT being a top ten job last weekend wasn’t calculated, seeing as how he’s one of the most calculating people on the planet. Regardless of your thoughts on him personally, he’s a bona fide winner with three national championships to his name who would immediately have us in the Top 25 and competing for the CFP in year 2 or 3. He’s that good. He’ll turn 56 before next season and I think his “health issues” are BS — I can’t imagine he is actually done and never coaches again. Biggest issue would be we’d most assuredly be behind ND and USC on his wishlist if those jobs were to come open.

Bob Stoops - Another bona fide winner with “health issues,” although given what happened with his dad I do think he may actually be done for good. If not, he’d be an absolute dynamite hire who would immediately turn this program around. He’d be 60 next season.

Brian Kelly - I don’t think Kelly gets enough credit for what he’s done at ND. He transformed that program by going into SEC country and getting the type of guys you need to be competitive nationally. ND is a hard place to recruit compared to other national powers; the leash would be off at UT and I’d take him in a heartbeat. One negative — he’s a complete jackass, worse than Urban. It does seem like there’s rumblings about him and ND not being happy with each other every other year or so, and those rumblings could get louder if ND thinks they can get Urban.

Tier Two - Home Runs

Chris Petersen - Offensive mastermind and simply put one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to doing more with less. I don’t know if he’ll ever move his family from the west coast, and we’ve obviously been turned down by him before, but he’d be a home run hire nonetheless.

David Shaw - The last two years where Stanford has fallen off a bit don’t worry me; he’s another guy who’s won big at a place where it’s VERY hard to do so. I doubt he’d ever leave Stanford for another college job, though.

Gary Patterson - I don’t think he’s ever leaving TCU, but I’ve always wondered what he could do at an powerhouse program with elite facilities that can recruit with anyone, seeing as how he’s consistently whipped better programs with 3-star recruits for 10+ years. We really, really missed out here in 2009 or 2010 or whenever it was.

Tier Three - Well Hit Doubles

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Tier Four - Better Than Pruitt
Joe Moorhead (might move up a tier if he wins 8+ again this year)
Bronco Mendenhall (moves up a tier with a top 25 finish this year)
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio
I could get behind Urban, and I do think he IS saying" Hey, I'm Available!" to UT.

Fulmer was cheap too. But he worked out.

Pruitt deliberately took a lower salary so that they would give him more money for assistant coaches.

I’m laughing at some of the responses to this thread and people thinking Pruitt could possibly be the answer. In year two of his tenure he lost to a team that was 2-10 in the Sun Belt the year before. And it wasn’t some fluke loss with weird turnovers and trick plays, we just got straight up beat — the demonstrably better coached, better prepared, better team won. It was, arguably, the worst loss in program history. And instead of grinding all week and coming out the next week and beating a worse (on paper) BYU team, we lost in inexcusable fashion yet again.

Sadly, ten years of our inept administration’s inability to get a coaching hire right has beaten some of you down into losers with loser mentalities who are willing to accept mediocrity and a spot in the lower tier of the SEC pecking order alongside the likes of Missouri and South Carolina. Sad!

I’m laughing at some of the responses to this thread and people thinking Pruitt could possibly be the answer. In year two of his tenure he lost to a team that was 2-10 in the Sun Belt the year before. And it wasn’t some fluke loss with weird turnovers and trick plays, we just got straight up beat — the demonstrably better coached, better prepared, better team won. It was, arguably, the worst loss in program history. And instead of grinding all week and coming out the next week and beating a worse (on paper) BYU team, we lost in inexcusable fashion yet again.

Sadly, ten years of our inept administration’s inability to get a coaching hire right has beaten some of you down into losers with loser mentalities who are willing to accept mediocrity and a spot in the lower tier of the SEC pecking order alongside the likes of Missouri and South Carolina. Sad!
This^^^^^^^^ is spot on. TN is top 10 winningest program in the history of college football. Please stop with the nonsense that a succesful CHC will not want to come to TN. College football is full of HCs at the FBS and non P5 level that could win here for a long time. Everything is cyclical in life. That is a fact Jack. UT will be back to glory with the right coach. Pruitt is not the right coach and Never will be. He hasn't paid the price to obtain what it takes to be a HC. Right now his football IQ is very low. That is clearly apparent to everyone. He may get there in 5 or so years. Just not right now and not with UT.

We speak about certain huge name coaches coming here like we are drafting them on some type of fantasy team. It’s humorous but ALL fan bases do it so it’s not indigenous to the Vols!

Reactions: Thorp32
Tennessee has gone cheap on its last three coaching hires over the past 10 seasons (dating back to Dooley) and the results are exactly what you’d expect:

Zero top 20 finishes
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

My God, that’s depressing to type. During that time, we hired three coaches in Dooley, Butch and Pruitt with zero HC experience at the P5 level. Dooley and Butch were spectacular failures (Dooley much more so than Butch), and Pruitt appears to be the same. I see some people around here still defending Pruitt and saying to give him more time....NO. He needs to be gone after this year. He’s had two offseasons to instill his culture and put his mark on this program, and the result of that was getting dominated in the trenches by a 2-10 Sun Belt team and following that up with a embarrassing loss to BYU plagued with mental errors. He is NOT the guy, and the longer we keep him around, the longer we prolong the long road back to relevance. While it’s easy to spend other people’s money, I maintain it’s much more expensive to keep the wrong guy than splurge on hiring the right guy. If you don’t believe me, check out all the empty seats at Neyland for the rest of this season (except for the UGA game, which will probably be 1/3 Dawg fans, if not more). It’s beyond perplexing to me that Tennessee invests gobs of money into building spectacular football facilities and isn’t willing to hire a proven coach who can use those facilities to build an elite program.

We all wished for a guy like Gruden, and while he would’ve been awesome, it was never happening. But our failure to land a Gary Patterson or a Chris Peterson or a Dan Mullen or a Mike Gundy has us where we are today — a national laughingstock. Not only does Pruitt need to be canned in November, but he needs to be replaced with a proven P5 head coach. Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of candidates:

Tier One — Grand Slams

Urban Meyer - I find it hard to believe that his comment about UT being a top ten job last weekend wasn’t calculated, seeing as how he’s one of the most calculating people on the planet. Regardless of your thoughts on him personally, he’s a bona fide winner with three national championships to his name who would immediately have us in the Top 25 and competing for the CFP in year 2 or 3. He’s that good. He’ll turn 56 before next season and I think his “health issues” are BS — I can’t imagine he is actually done and never coaches again. Biggest issue would be we’d most assuredly be behind ND and USC on his wishlist if those jobs were to come open.

Bob Stoops - Another bona fide winner with “health issues,” although given what happened with his dad I do think he may actually be done for good. If not, he’d be an absolute dynamite hire who would immediately turn this program around. He’d be 60 next season.

Brian Kelly - I don’t think Kelly gets enough credit for what he’s done at ND. He transformed that program by going into SEC country and getting the type of guys you need to be competitive nationally. ND is a hard place to recruit compared to other national powers; the leash would be off at UT and I’d take him in a heartbeat. One negative — he’s a complete jackass, worse than Urban. It does seem like there’s rumblings about him and ND not being happy with each other every other year or so, and those rumblings could get louder if ND thinks they can get Urban.

Tier Two - Home Runs

Chris Petersen - Offensive mastermind and simply put one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to doing more with less. I don’t know if he’ll ever move his family from the west coast, and we’ve obviously been turned down by him before, but he’d be a home run hire nonetheless.

David Shaw - The last two years where Stanford has fallen off a bit don’t worry me; he’s another guy who’s won big at a place where it’s VERY hard to do so. I doubt he’d ever leave Stanford for another college job, though.

Gary Patterson - I don’t think he’s ever leaving TCU, but I’ve always wondered what he could do at an powerhouse program with elite facilities that can recruit with anyone, seeing as how he’s consistently whipped better programs with 3-star recruits for 10+ years. We really, really missed out here in 2009 or 2010 or whenever it was.

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

I get your sentiment. And I'm glad people are not willing to accept mediocrity. Unfortunately, especially on this message board, there's a lot of people who just don't get it.

These are the same people who screamed give Dooley more time. The same people who screamed give Butch a chance, stand behind Butch. Meanwhile, for the last 20 years the program has became at laughing stock and a dumpster fire. Maybe everyone else on this message board has 20 years to wait for them to turn it around, I'm sure I do not.

If you give Jeremy 2 more years then make another higher and miss. That's 10 years basically down the drain. At what point do you stop emotionally and monetarily investing? I have met and exceeded my point.

Sometimes......just sometimes you get more

Was in mountains this past weekend. At hotel drink machine you put a quarter in you get a quarter back........machine still reads “quarter!” Do that 6 times get free drink.

Told staff about it, they weren’t interested so it’s not stealing. I love the little things in life.

Oh and power aid was .25 more. Someone went for it, and it’s out they gots a free Coke and pocketed 25c

Stop shooting holes the size of the Grand Canyon into his fantasyland essay.
You’re right guys, let’s give Pruitt four years and see what MAC, CUSA, and FCS programs he can lose to while he’s at it. We are an absolute joke and our coach is in 50 feet over his head. We tried to go the Kirby Smart route, but we didn’t get Kirby, we got the low IQ super-loser poser version who cant beat Georgia State. Pruitt ain’t happening. Stop trying to make Pruitt happen.

Also, to the apologists in this thread pointing to Pruitt’s ability to recruit, remember Butch’s top-5 class? How’d that work out? I think we got one (incredibly underwhelming) top-25 finish out of it, which, to be fair, is leaps and bounds better than hillbilly Pruitt will ever do. Stop being losers and expect better. This is Tennessee, not Ole Miss.

I think the only way we get rid of Pruitt (if that’s what we’re inclined to do) is by actually JUST getting rid of him alone and retaining the majority of his staff.

It’s all an assumption but I’m guessing the buyout for the collective would be worse than his alone. At that point I’m not sure who would take the job without being able to bring their own guys.

However, on paper and past performance the staff is insanely talented and successful. That makes the question:

“What available head coach would fit and want this staff and coach in the SEC”

I'm sure the HallOFamers would be lining up under this plan. Most great ones love a place where a guy was hired to put out a dumpster fire and gets fired after 14 games. It's almost can't miss coach bait!

Zero top 20 finishes
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

Tier One — Grand Slams

Tier Two - Home Runs

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

None of the coaches on this list excite me that much outside of Petersen. He should really be tier one. What he has accomplished at Boise State and Washington is amazing and it is clear that he doesn’t need a team full of 5 stars to win. No chance he comes to Knoxville though. Yes Urban has had success but I think he is an opportunist and self promoter and he ends up getting gigs at schools with a lot of talent. Not super impressed with his Florida it OSU runs. Who wouldn’t be successful at these schools with the talent they had. I’m also biased because I don’t care for him as a person and would have a hard time seeing him in orange. I want a coach who can be creative and adaptive with the team they have. Tired of all this talk about coaches having to have elite talent to win. Petersen, Patterson and Leach have proven otherwise and they would be my top choices. Pruitt just doesn’t seem to be a coach that is innovative enough to get the most out of non elite talent. He just seems really bland without being able to make any creative adjustments to get the most out of his team

Right now, if Pruitt wins 3 games he's safe. Going into season, I still think this team had talent to win 5-6 games, if we had Thompson and Bituli. Obviously Ga St loss is on CJP. So now new baseline is now 4-5 games. I never counted BYU as an automatic win.

BYU is on Pruitt as well. No reason why a decent coach doesn’t make adjustments and win that game whether it’s making a QB change, making better 4th down decisions or making sure his defense is prepared to cover long passes with seconds remaining.

If Chattanooga beats us the university might force an interim..If we lose I would support this
I don’t think we lose

Last edited:
I'm sure the HallOFamers would be lining up under this plan. Most great ones love a place where a guy was hired to put out a dumpster fire and gets fired after 14 games. It's almost can't miss coach bait!

Just like all the recruits that are going to line up to play for a guy who used gas to put out the dumpster fire?

I’m not saying can the guy. What I’m saying is that IF you do I’m not sure we could afford to blowout the entire staff nor do I think they have any intention on making a splash hire.

I don’t care either way. The school hasn’t shown anything to suggest they are serious about winning or hiring a quality coach so how would this even matter?

Go ahead and give the guy an extension if you think he’s going to be something special. Make the buyout 100 million to keep Bama away. Who cares.

I'm laughing at YOU for thinking we could have hired a top tier coach in the last 3 hires. They turned us down, everyone but Leach....

Sorry that doesn't fit your narrow minded narrative.

VN Store

Back