Year 5 expectations

It's entirely possible Pruitt could have done a great job through 5 years and we still wouldn't have won the East. Just because we haven't won the East I wouldn't consider that a failure. UGA is currently # 1 in recruiting on the composite, which if that held up would give them recruiting classes for 2020 of #3 (SR class); #1 (JR CLASS); #2 (SO CLASS); and #1 (FR CLASS). That's ridiculous and they haven't ever stacked classes like that before, at least not in modern times since recruiting became the industry it is. We took a necessary step this year of beating the traditional also rans. Let's do it again in 2020, maybe knock off someone we aren't supposed to, that's progress.

That SR and JR class are gone for the most part.

If we are not a consistent Top 15 team by Y5, I'd be disappointed. I wont be disappointed if we go 10-2 in Y4 and Y5 but fail to win the East...

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
I’ve tempered my expectations. This isn’t your grand daddy’s SEC or even the SEC that I grew up watching. Money has changed things so much.
Exactly! This isn’t the same SEC today that i grew up watching as a kid in the 80’s and 90’s in which we won 5 SEC titles from 1985 to 1998 and haven’t won one since

Reactions: give_him 6
Year 3 is historically when an established coach is capable of running the table. But since CJP is in his first HC gig and inherited an especially abysmal roster, year 4 looks good to me!

Maybe take out UF this year, and all 3 ( UF, UGa, & Bama ) next year.

That SR and JR class are gone for the most part.
Two less than good things have happened so far with regard to UGA: 1) they fired Coley; 2) they got a reasonably competent transfer QB. If they hadn't have fired Coley and were depending on Carson Beck, I'd think they were vulnerable. I don't see it for 2020 now though. Anything can happen though of course. I sure do wish we were getting them in Neyland.

By the end of Pruitt’s 5th season at UT would you expect him to have a win against Georgia , Florida and Bama by then? And would it be considered disappointing if he still hasn’t won the East in 5 seasons?

I seriously doubt we will have won against those 3 teams by end of his 5th season and I would not expect an East division win by then either. We are too far behind those programs to get there by end of his 5th season, Winning the East would likely require beating 2 pf the 3 teams in same year or maybe all 3.. too much building to accomplish in the next 3 years. JMO

Disappointed if he can't win the east in 5 seasons? No, disgusted would be a better description.

If he hasn't won the east by the end of year 5 he isn't going to.

UT is not a school that is like UGA where a Richt can horse around ten years or more getting close to being relevant for NCs during that time. If CJP can win the east or somehow gets close and loses by a fluke of some sort, then yes, he needs to stay. But winning the east is not what UT is all about, we want SECCs and NCs, CJP knows the deal. That's the level where he has to have the program at in 5 years, in that conversation for SECCs minimum.

UT is not a school that is like UGA where a Richt can horse around ten years or more getting close to being relevant for NCs during that time. If CJP can win the east or somehow gets close and loses by a fluke of some sort, then yes, he needs to stay. But winning the east is not what UT is all about, we want SECCs and NCs, CJP knows the deal. That's the level where he has to have the program at in 5 years, in that conversation for SECCs minimum.

Have to win the East before we can win anything else.

Reactions: Ratvol
My expectations are that we will continue to get better every year and wins will come.

Reactions: gnm53108
Tennessee is like that smart girl in your school that is fairly popular but you don't realize how cute she actually is until certain highpoints of the school year. There are about 3 other girls that everyone agrees are absolutely gorgeous. Then "Tennessee" just sneaks up on everyone with her beauty on occasions.

You can't put a benchmark on progress with Tennessee. Have to take it season by season. On any given year...the next 10 years, we won't have the most talented team in the SEC. Probably not even 2nd. BUT wE could have the best team.

If we come in one year with the 2nd best QB. 4th best backfield. 3rd best WR corp. Best O-line and the 3rd best overall defense... then there's a great chance we'll be the overall best team.

'- key recruiting
- player development
- great coaching.

If we're even in the top 5 of the conference in talent, then with good coaching we will have a shot at greatness each year.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
By the end of Pruitt’s 5th season at UT would you expect him to have a win against Georgia , Florida and Bama by then? And would it be considered disappointing if he still hasn’t won the East in 5 seasons?
We are currently recruiting at a level to be a perennial 7-5 to 9-3 team. If this doesnt change, starting with the 2021 class I dont expect us to win the East in year 5.

Maybe if we have a QB that is in the running for the Heisman.
We also need to recruit at their level. I will be happy if we just win the East every other year or every third year.

Terribly disappointed if he doesn't beat any of those teams in 5 seasons!

I'll be disappointed if he doesn't beat one of those 3 this coming season and compete for the East this coming season.

It's time to stop competing with the Vandies, Missouris, Kentuckys and South Carolinas of the world.

If by year 5, he isn't consistently competing with the big boys in the league, we should all be extremely disappointed.

Butch beat both georgia and fl

I think I'll be happy with progress. Gotta learn to walk before you run. We're still crawling right now.

Yes and yes.

Disappointed if he can't win the east in 5 seasons? No, disgusted would be a better description.

If he hasn't won the east by the end of year 5 he isn't going to.
this is ridiculous. Fulmer inherited a program in much better shape and he still didn’t win the East in his first 5 years. (But won a national championship two years later)
With this line of thinking, it’s a perpetual revolving door and we reset every five years, or less. Besides, look at what we are paying Pruitt compared to top-tier teams. We have a good coach, and the best we are going to get at that price point. Give the guy a chance.

VN Store

Back