Yahoo Sports Exclusive regarding FBI Case in College Basketball

People are getting greased for providing influence to funnel the talent. Shoe company deal will end up being tied into this or looking just like it.

Float cash to a person of influence or directly to the player in hopes of getting the kid once he enters the draft.

You may never be able to prove it but Cal absolutely knew this was going on (I'm not saying that he had anything to do with it). While at Memphis, he was so intertwined with the day to day details of the program. He may have got out of the weeds as he got older at UK but I don't know how he didn't drive himself crazy.

100% correct

Heard the NCAA was ready to throw the book at Duke and punish them by making J J Reddick ineligible from this day forward.

Reactions: 3 people
People are getting greased for providing influence to funnel the talent. Shoe company deal will end up being tied into this or looking just like it.

Float cash to a person of influence or directly to the player in hopes of getting the kid once he enters the draft.

I guess I just see this as an agency trying to get clients in an illegal way. I can't see the agency and the connection to the shoe companies. I want to sss something saying they are connected

I guess I just see this as an agency trying to get clients in an illegal way. I can't see the agency and the connection to the shoe companies. I want to sss something saying they are connected

Well if I'm an agency the first thing I look to do is get my client a shoe contract. Easy connection to make.

The specific connection to the shoe company hasn't leaked yet but I'm sure it will soon and it will just be funneling/influencing/bribing/loaning just like the rest of this.

They asked Rick Barnes about two of the players he recruited at Texas (named in the report) He said he hadn't read the report, and what he was told today by one of his GA's is that the money those guys received was after he left.

The reporters asked him if he was surprised by the depth-- there were 25 schools, 25 players. Barnes said he wasn't surprised. He's been doing this a long time, they could sit here and talk about it for days on end about all the things that have went on in college basketball.

They asked Rick Barnes about two of the players he recruited at Texas (named in the report) He said he hadn't read the report, and what he was told today by one of his GA's is that the money those guys received was after he left.

The reporters asked him if he was surprised by the depth-- there were 25 schools, 25 players. Barnes said he wasn't surprised. He's been doing this a long time, they could sit here and talk about it for days on end about all the things that have went on in college basketball.

Wouldn't surprise me if a good amount of these player-agent payments were after college. But the Bam one makes me really nervous. Clearly while he was in school.

Reactions: 1 person
This is nothing compared to what's coming out in the next few months. I work for a well known consulting company. There's a big rumor here that the FBI has Western Union records. It will get leaked to the public eventually.

maybe in five years we'll actually learn something new...NAH...seriously doubt it and also doubt anything comes of it...too many teams, coaches and institutions of higher learning involved...a few slaps on the wrists of a few scapegoats and it'll go away...we'll see...:)

PS. you don't think the FBI knows how to sweep things under the carpet...:eek:lol:

GO VOLS!

I believe the FBI report that came out back in September had the ties to the shoe companies. I think it was mainly Adidas. People wondered if Nike was next or if the Feds only had an Adidas informant.

You are right about this report, it only has agent ties to players. No coaches (except for Izzo) or schools directly implicated.

Now.. if the schools allow the players mentioned to continue to play without them being cleared by the NCAA, then the schools could be in trouble.

That's harder to prove.

I guess in some of these cases the assistant coaches were filtering money down to the players. That could be what gets the head coaches but I just don't see much happening here.

My guess is they will nail a couple of head coaches at non blue blood schools. Some players are ruled ineligible - most of which are gone already or will leave this spring anyway.

And teams like UNC, Duke go relatively untouched.

I agree. The blue bloods(UNC, Ky, Duke) will get a slap on the wrist IMO. The programs that will be made "examples" will be the Xaviers and Wichita states of the college BB world, with the lone exception being Michigan st. I think Izzo is on his way out anyway and at the moment sparty is an easy target.

GBO!!

Reactions: 1 person
I believe the FBI report that came out back in September had the ties to the shoe companies. I think it was mainly Adidas. People wondered if Nike was next or if the Feds only had an Adidas informant.

You are right about this report, it only has agent ties to players. No coaches (except for Izzo) or schools directly implicated.

Now.. if the schools allow the players mentioned to continue to play without them being cleared by the NCAA, then the schools could be in trouble.

I thought there were documents containing meetings with coaches, not just Izzo?

Roll your eyes all you want, but once again Cal has nothing to do with this. This is all agents and companies meeting players and families so far.

You guys will be vacating titles like every other school that has had him as a coach but he’s so pure, he will just coach somewhere else and do it again.

People all day keep focusing on ‘aa, not FBI. This thing is an FBI investigation. What the ‘aa does, or doesn’t do right now, is irrelevant. Remember all findings are not from the ‘aa!!! Until the FBI hammers everyone, and the NBA and ‘aa are FORCED to behave, nothing will change.

People all day keep focusing on ‘aa, not FBI. This thing is an FBI investigation. What the ‘aa does, or doesn’t do right now, is irrelevant. Remember all findings are not from the ‘aa!!! Until the FBI hammers everyone, and the NBA and ‘aa are FORCED to behave, nothing will change.

I slightly disagree with what you are saying pertaining to the current players named here. There is a huge difference in eventual penalty for playing a play that took benefits from an agent and playing one you knew had taken those benefits.

I am intrigued to see if they play tomorrow

Last edited:
On the contrary...its a very interesting story and good to see progress being made.

The one that makes me nervous is Bam. He got a loan or whatever and then played here. But what is odd is that he never signed with the agency that he got money from.

The only problem is when you get the NCAA or in this case the FBI in your house digging up stuff no matter how big or small. You never know what else they will find.

VN Store

Back