Yahoo claiming Bray and Couch (among others) took cash? (Merged)

Sounds like a reputable source:

"The records were turned over to Yahoo Sports by a source with ties to the NFL agent community"

Also, based on the precedent set forth by the NCAA in multiple recent cases, I'm sure we'll get the death penalty

Reactions: 1 person
Considering how many other scandals there are at the moment, I doubt anything will happen.

Reactions: 3 people
Among the records authenticated by Yahoo Sports, in chronological order:

• A receipt dated May 17, 2012, showing Davis sent $400 to Couch via Western Union from Bruno's Food & Pharmacy in Tuscaloosa. The receipt noted that the cash was picked up at a location in Tennessee. Western Union requires a valid photo ID in the name of the individual receiving the transfer.

• A receipt dated June 1, 2012, showing Davis sent $200 to Bray via Western Union from Bruno's Food & Pharmacy in Tuscaloosa. The receipt noted that the cash was picked up at a location in Tennessee.

• A receipt dated June 7, 2012, showing Davis sent $500 to Couch via Western Union from Bruno's Food & Pharmacy in Tuscaloosa. The receipt noted that the cash was picked up at a location in Tennessee.

• A receipt dated July 1, 2012, showing Davis sent $700 to Matthew Schroeder via Western Union from Bruno's Food & Pharmacy in Tuscaloosa. The transaction receipt for Schroeder was coupled with a transfer form listing "Tyler Bray" in the recipient field. However, Bray's name was crossed out and replaced with Schroeder.

After reviewing Bray's Twitter account, Yahoo Sports found that Bray had interacted with a Matthew Schroeder consistently dating back to 2011, referring to Schroeder as being part of "the crew." Bray also made references about trips to the mall with Schroeder, as well as "burger night" at a Knoxville restaurant, and an accident with a deer that included Bray, Schroeder and two others.

When contacted by Yahoo Sports, Schroeder affirmed that Bray was a friend and initially agreed to an interview. When informed the story was about Bray's involvement with Davis, Schroeder said he didn't know who Davis was. When asked why his name appeared as a recipient on a $700 Western Union transaction from Davis that also listed Bray, Schroeder replied: "Uh, man, I have no comment on that." Schroeder then declined to continue the interview.

• A receipt dated Aug. 20, 2012, showing Davis sent $200 to Couch via Western Union from Bruno's Food & Pharmacy in Tuscaloosa. The receipt noted that the cash was picked up at a location in Tennessee.

• A receipt dated Nov. 10, 2012, showing Davis sent $250 to Couch via Western Union from Bruno's Food & Pharmacy in Tuscaloosa. The receipt noted that the cash was picked up at a location in Tennessee.

Anything for a story or a mention on the Internet. They saw how successful SI's story was at generating publicity. It doesn't matter if true or not. It has no legs, it's all about getting publicity for yahoo. The press has no credibility any more.

Reactions: 1 person
Kills me how media spend all this time researching all this stuff. Ruin kids lives potentially over a little money, so they can makes tons. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd normally not sweat this too much, but since we are still on probation, any little rumor makes me jumpy.

Reactions: 3 people
Good thing for us is that an alabama player was also allegedly involved. The NCAA won't touch that cash cow, so we should be good.

Reactions: 15 people
I can see this as a bomb on UT. I can also see this as opening the door for paying college athletes without violations. There are too many teams involved and more will pop up. If the NCAA does punish us we can almost be assured to get scholarships and any hope of bowl games for a few years taken away.

If proven by the NCAA, the transactions could violate Bylaw 12.3.1.2, which prohibits athletes from receiving benefits from agents or marketing representatives. Like the highly publicized NCAA case against the University of Southern California and Reggie Bush, a violation of that bylaw could retroactively nullify a portion of each player's eligibility

If I'm reading this correctly, we could have some of the last three seasons wiped off the books? Where is the downside?

Reactions: 55 people

VN Store

Back