Xavier game

Additionally of note. Justin Martin who played the 3 for Xavier last season and who accounted for 12 boards v. UT, is injured as well and day to day.

If Martin can't go, I'd expect Stenger and Stainbrook to absorb his considerable minutes.

If Davis can't go, Brandon Randolph the top 100 frosh PG had an excellent game v. GW (12 pts, 7 asts, 1 TO). I'd expect that he can fill in adequately for Davis.

Since I go to Xavier maybe I can give you a little insight on X since I was at their first game on Friday.

We start a freshman Brandon Randolph at PG because Dee Davis is still out with a concussion. He most likely isn't going to play so Randolph will run point again. Randolph is very fast and can drive well but is a freshman so he makes freshman mistakes. As you all know Semaj Christon is the starting SG thought he plays PG some too. He played alright in the first game but nothing special. But then again it is Gardner Webb so its not like he had to take over the game to win. Though after attending all of the pro camps this summer, if he wants to take over he certainly can. Is gonna be hard to guard. Justin Martin usually starts at SF for us but he got hit in the head last game and is listed as day to day so I don't know whether he will play. Myles Davis is the other guard that usually plays. He is lights out from 3 but he hurt his knee last game and is also listed as day to day.

As far as post players Stainbrook plays the Center. He's big and physical and has good post moves. Solid transfer. played great minutes and can really control the paint. Isaiah Philmore usually starts at the 4. He's a good all around player but nothing special. Can score in bunches. James Farr played really well on Friday but I wouldn't expect much out of him. That was his first game where he actually showed up. If he does though he has a huge wingspan and can rebound well. Also has the ability to shoot the 3. Erik Stenger is nothing to worry about. He is just a scrappy post player that can't really score. Jalen Reynolds is the last one. He is really raw and undeveloped offensively but can block shots like no one I have ever seen.

If the Davis's and Martin are out, then we will only have 2 guards and 5 post men in the game. You all should beat us if that is the case. If Myles and Martin play then I think this could be one of the best games we see all year. Both these teams match up well on paper and it should go down to the wire. Either way I wish you guys luck. As a former Tennessee resident and Vol football fan it is always hard for me to root against TN in any sport but when it comes to basketball I gotta cheer for my school. Best of luck to the Vols.

Reactions: 3 people
Since I go to Xavier maybe I can give you a little insight on X since I was at their first game on Friday.

We start a freshman Brandon Randolph at PG because Dee Davis is still out with a concussion. He most likely isn't going to play so Randolph will run point again. Randolph is very fast and can drive well but is a freshman so he makes freshman mistakes. As you all know Semaj Christon is the starting SG thought he plays PG some too. He played alright in the first game but nothing special. But then again it is Gardner Webb so its not like he had to take over the game to win. Though after attending all of the pro camps this summer, if he wants to take over he certainly can. Is gonna be hard to guard. Justin Martin usually starts at SF for us but he got hit in the head last game and is listed as day to day so I don't know whether he will play. Myles Davis is the other guard that usually plays. He is lights out from 3 but he hurt his knee last game and is also listed as day to day.

As far as post players Stainbrook plays the Center. He's big and physical and has good post moves. Solid transfer. played great minutes and can really control the paint. Isaiah Philmore usually starts at the 4. He's a good all around player but nothing special. Can score in bunches. James Farr played really well on Friday but I wouldn't expect much out of him. That was his first game where he actually showed up. If he does though he has a huge wingspan and can rebound well. Also has the ability to shoot the 3. Erik Stenger is nothing to worry about. He is just a scrappy post player that can't really score. Jalen Reynolds is the last one. He is really raw and undeveloped offensively but can block shots like no one I have ever seen.

If the Davis's and Martin are out, then we will only have 2 guards and 5 post men in the game. You all should beat us if that is the case. If Myles and Martin play then I think this could be one of the best games we see all year. Both these teams match up well on paper and it should go down to the wire. Either way I wish you guys luck. As a former Tennessee resident and Vol football fan it is always hard for me to root against TN in any sport but when it comes to basketball I gotta cheer for my school. Best of luck to the Vols.

Good post. Randolph was a pleasant surprise in his first game. He'll need to learn quickly if Davis' concussion symptoms linger.

I would think a saavy veteran like Barton would give a freshman pg problems as they run their offense, certainly moreso than Golden could have. What say you 'Canes?

How good is Xavier supposed to be this season?

Do we match up well with them?

I keep up with our guys for the most part. Maybe not as much as I did during the Pearl era but I still watch like 90% of the games. I just don't follow college basketball the way I did when we had the types of teams that had it in them to make some noise. We seem like we could be pretty darn good this year. I just don't know anything about Xavier. Was it their coach who went to Arizona?

How good is Xavier supposed to be this season?

Do we match up well with them?

I keep up with our guys for the most part. Maybe not as much as I did during the Pearl era but I still watch like 90% of the games. I just don't follow college basketball the way I did when we had the types of teams that had it in them to make some noise. We seem like we could be pretty darn good this year. I just don't know anything about Xavier. Was it their coach who went to Arizona?

Lol

I would think a saavy veteran like Barton would give a freshman pg problems as they run their offense, certainly moreso than Golden could have. What say you 'Canes?

I can't decide, which is why I'm looking forward to the matchup.

Barton was injured for Memphis last season when we played X, so I don't have a frame of reference for how he performed against X's guards.

I can agree that Richardson will be able to stick Christon on the defensive end, most likely. X may play man D, in which case I'd think Davis/Randolph would draw Barton, with Christon taking him a bit as well. Davis and Christon are both quick, which may give Barton some trouble as he's trying to adjust to his "distributor" role in the offense.

I feel that if we play well we will win. And I think we should win. We just can't make lots of mistakes and shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and dumb fouls.

Hopefully we'll rebound well and control the game. I'm excited, wish it was a home game so I could go!

Golden was a liability defensively most of the time and that is being charitable. I recall Barton being a tenacious defender and was often times referred to as a stopper. If he's back to 100% health he could be the point defender Cuonzo's never had (here).

Golden was a liability defensively most of the time and that is being charitable. I recall Barton being a tenacious defender and was often times referred to as a stopper. If he's back to 100% health he could be the point defender Cuonzo's never had (here).

Antonio is not a bad defender, but I'm not sure where this mantra that he is a defensive stopper came from. He has the effort to be a great defender, and as far as I've seen his fundamentals are solid enough, but he's never had the lateral footspeed to lockdown a high-major PG in my observation.

Someone significantly quicker than him like a Davis or Christon may be an issue. We'll see.

Antonio is not a bad defender, but I'm not sure where this mantra that he is a defensive stopper came from. He has the effort to be a great defender, and as far as I've seen his fundamentals are solid enough, but he's never had the lateral footspeed to lockdown a high-major PG in my observation.

Someone significantly quicker than him like a Davis or Christon may be an issue. We'll see.

Which is where having a guy like Josh Richardson comes into play.

I don't see Christon being that much faster than Barton or McRae having watched them play, but jmo.

And according to that poster from Xavier Davis apparently isn't likely to play, leaving only Christon.

The frosh Randolph seems to be a big question mark. He's a scoring minded PG and logged the most minutes for them against GW. That would be another interesting matchup.

These are two pretty evenly matched teams on paper. Looking forward to the Stainbrook matchup with our two bigs. Stokes or Maymon needs to draw the double team and mcrae and JR need to have a solid game. I'm a little unsure about UT's PG situation and expect Xavier to try to take advantage there if possible. If UT can't have a decent showing from the pg position Xavier probably has the upper-hand overall. JMO

I keep being told that Richardson was playing the two last season and stuck Christon. I see nothing to suggest that this will be any different on Tuesday.

But beside the point, McRae is better than anyone for Xavier. I'd call Christon v. Richardson a wash.

Oh okay. I'd agree with that.

VN Store

Back