'19 WV OL Darnell Wright (Tennessee signee)

Surprised listening to the VQ podcast today with all the talk of how raw Wright is, and how fans think he can be a plug and play guy, when in reality he shouldn't be thrown to the fire like that. Said he's going to need some development.
The only thing I trust VQ with is recruiting. Passed that they have very little football knowledge

Surprised listening to the VQ podcast today with all the talk of how raw Wright is, and how fans think he can be a plug and play guy, when in reality he shouldn't be thrown to the fire like that. Said he's going to need some development.
Even with his raw athleticism and talent he may be able to beat out some of our current guys. I'd feel a lot better about him if he were an EE, he could benefit more than most from the head start.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
We just need country strong boys on the line. Don’t care if it takes a few years to develop.

Well on that note, they also said Akpo would also need seasoning but he's very very strong, to the point where he'd likely be the 2nd strongest guy on the roster the day he shows up.

I have been telling people here that for 6 months. Morris is light years ahead of him, right now, based on 1. Competition, 2. Athleticism, and 3. Footwork and agility.

Wright faces very little competition in this area. He just bullied people on the field while Morris faces D1 level players almost weekly. Those thinking Wright steps in and dominates immediately are in for a Drew Richmond like letdown, and he will immediately be vilified for it because "he's a 5*". I promise you, that is purely based on potential. Richmond never reached his. Remains to be seen on Wright.

I have been telling people here that for 6 months. Morris is light years ahead of him, right now, based on 1. Competition, 2. Athleticism, and 3. Footwork and agility.

Wright faces very little competition in this area. He just bullied people on the field while Morris faces D1 level players almost weekly. Those thinking Wright steps in and dominates immediately are in for a Drew Richmond like letdown, and he will immediately be vilified for it because "he's a 5*". I promise you, that is purely based on potential. Richmond never reached his. Remains to be seen on Wright.
I feel the same about Cade Mays and the talent he played against. He ended up alright.

Wright will prob play guard in college. AKong will Be right tackle
Thinking the opposite. Wright would make a good mauling RT. Doesn’t require the feet that LT does. Isn’t Abokongebe 6’3...lil short for tackle if so.

Reactions: Bobo0101
Tennessee produces more D1 players in 1 year than WV does in 20, and I'm not exaggerating. The competition comparison isn't there dawg.
You are correct. He is big and will need some refining but he must have camped pretty well and if Alabama still looking at him he must pretty good.

Reactions: SalVolinus
Yup. That’s why some analysts said he didn’t take the steps they thought he would this year.

Reactions: bagods
Thinking the opposite. Wright would make a good mauling RT. Doesn’t require the feet that LT does. Isn’t Abokongebe 6’3...lil short for tackle if so.
247 profile says 6’4 but that also have him the 2,000 best prospect so who knows

247 profile says 6’4 but that also have him the 2,000 best prospect so who knows

Dunno what's up with their ranking.

Rivals has him as a 5.8 4* and ESPN has him as a 79 3* (80 would be 4*).. 247 has him as an 80, which is dang near 2* territory.

I wouldn't be surprised if Akpo either RS's or plays sparingly in 2019 and sets himself up to be our starting RT after Richmond graduates. Keep Darnell inside at LG.

I dunno though. It's always fluid and that's just my hunch.

Dunno what's up with their ranking.

Rivals has him as a 5.8 4* and ESPN has him as a 79 3* (80 would be 4*).. 247 has him as an 80, which is dang near 2* territory.

I wouldn't be surprised if Akpo either RS's or plays sparingly in 2019 and sets himself up to be our starting RT after Richmond graduates. Keep Darnell inside at LG.

I dunno though. It's always fluid and that's just my hunch.

I hope someone outperforms Richmond in spring practice . Are there any current underclassmen lineman who may win a starting job ?

CA is in great physical shape. I also saw something not long ago that said he's closer to 6'6"

I wouldn't be shocked if he finds himself in the rotation next year if he's as strong as advertised.

CA is in great physical shape. I also saw something not long ago that said he's closer to 6'6"

I wouldn't be shocked if he finds himself in the rotation next year if he's as strong as advertised.

I like how our OL class is looking this year. When it's said and done, CA may be our best OL to come out of UT in quite a while.

Measurables are legit. Wanya is good but this guy has the highest ceiling.

You are correct. He is big and will need some refining but he must have camped pretty well and if Alabama still looking at him he must pretty good.

Absolutely, I like the kid and hope we get him.

But saying the competition he faces is similar to the competition Cade Mays faced needed to be corrected. It's night and day.

Absolutely, I like the kid and hope we get him.

But saying the competition he faces is similar to the competition Cade Mays faced needed to be corrected. It's night and day.
Exactly. Not to mention the coaching that Mays has gotten from having a former SEC lineman for a father.

VN Store

Back