WRs don't get any separation

BleedinOrange98

I can't be the only one who noticed this.. It's not all on JG. The only receiver getting any separation is Hyatt. Not even Palmer is able to get much separation without a push off. If we don't have a laser accurate QB (which he isn't) then it's going to be a constant struggle to make completions. Either WRs don't get open or the line doesn't give him time. I don't think it matters who we put back there. I think this team has fatal flaws that are being exposed and no amount of coaching is going to fix that.

Then of course on the rare occasions that they do get open, JG completely misses the mark like 30% of the time or makes some stupid read to a check down or stares down the receiver all the way. No coach can with win these traits in the SEC. The QB lacks intangibles (like look-offs), the WRs lack speed and the line lacks toughness. None of these can really be coached.

Good news is defensive speed is better but still a little lacking in secondary. Also no premier pass rusher hurts a lot (this is on Pruitt).

The QB lacks "intangibles" (your words) but he doesn't get benched - That's coaching

The OL lacks fundamentals, regressing each year, and struggle with protections - That's coaching

Until this year, had not recruited high end speed at WR - That's coaching

Still haven't found high end pass rusher - That's recruiting/coaching

I can't be the only one who noticed this.. It's not all on JG. The only receiver getting any separation is Hyatt. Not even Palmer is able to get much separation without a push off. If we don't have a laser accurate QB (which he isn't) then it's going to be a constant struggle to make completions. Either WRs don't get open or the line doesn't give him time. I don't think it matters who we put back there. I think this team has fatal flaws that are being exposed and no amount of coaching is going to fix that.

Then of course on the rare occasions that they do get open, JG completely misses the mark like 30% of the time or makes some stupid read to a check down or stares down the receiver all the way. No coach can with win these traits in the SEC. The QB lacks intangibles (like look-offs), the WRs lack speed and the line lacks toughness. None of these can really be coached.

Good news is defensive speed is better but still a little lacking in secondary. Also no premier pass rusher hurts a lot (this is on Pruitt).

It’s been painfully obvious all year and you’re not the first to mention it. That’s why it was s good to see Hyatt blow past the coverage several times against Bama.

It’s been painfully obvious all year and you’re not the first to mention it. That’s why it was s good to see Hyatt blow past the coverage several times against Bama.

Didn't Chaney get him matched up on safeties?

Reactions: BigO95
Posted this before, but you have to threaten the middle of the field. We don't because we don't trust the QBs accuracy and decision making Its not a secret. Inaccurate or tipped balls across the middle have a better chance of being picked simply because there are more defenders in the area.
Once that is a known, you have given an advantage to DBs. If they know where you re not going, at least not very often they can sit on everything else. Until that changes you re gonna see a "separation" problem. Understanding the root reason is important.

Posted this before, but you have to threaten the middle of the field. We don't because we don't trust the QBs accuracy and decision making Its not a secret. Inaccurate or tipped balls across the middle have a better chance of being picked simply because there are more defenders in the area.
Once that is a known, you have given an advantage to DBs. If they know where you re not going, at least not very often they can sit on everything else. Until that changes you re gonna see a "separation" problem. Understanding the root reason is important.
This is exactly what it is. We did try to throw a couple slants against Bama, although they were defended perfectly.

I disagree with most of your assertions

Crisp intelligent route running creates separation- coaching

Toughness CAN be instilled as it is simply a mental trait.- coaching

QB intangibles...i agree cannot be coached however your example is 100% a teachable skill. It takes zero talent to intentionally look away from your primary target...it does require discipline though...which is coaching

the tale of a respected leader and winner.

watch JG on the sidelines after a mistake

he is usually standing alone sulking and mired in self-loathing

most successful QB's take responsibility and try to pump their teammates up and say something like "we'll get'em next series, we got this"

anyone watch Matt Ryan last night react like a leader on the sidelines after his mistakes and keep his team motivated

JG is not the guy to lead and the coaches will hopefully install (2) new QB's into the system going forward

this has to be done

this continued discussion is way past old and the time is NOW

Last edited:

QB intangibles...i agree cannot be coached however your example is 100% a teachable skill. It takes zero talent to intentionally look away from your primary target...it does require discipline though...which is coaching
Palmer is already a good route runner, in fact he's our best. Doesn't matter so much in the SEC which is why he's forced to make acrobatic catches a lot.

Toughness can be instilled temporarily but beyond that you either have it or you don't.

Looking off defenders is not an easily learned skill. Natural QBs are just smoother at this. JG is not natural at all. Hence why he throws 90 mph fastballs at WRs 10 ft away. Zero awareness.

Palmer is already a good route runner, in fact he's our best. Doesn't matter so much in the SEC which is why he's forced to make acrobatic catches a lot.

Toughness can be instilled temporarily but beyond that you either have it or you don't.

Looking off defenders is not an easily learned skill. Natural QBs are just smoother at this. JG is not natural at all. Hence why he throws 90 mph fastballs at WRs 10 ft away. Zero awareness.

I know more than one kid that went into the Marines far from being tough...they would to the man disagree with you with regard to toughness.

And being OUR best route runner aint gonna win ya no trophies...and certainly doesnt indicate youre a good route runner

The QB lacks "intangibles" (your words) but he doesn't get benched - That's coaching

The OL lacks fundamentals, regressing each year, and struggle with protections - That's coaching

Until this year, had not recruited high end speed at WR - That's coaching

Still haven't found high end pass rusher - That's recruiting/coaching
He knows there's nothing better behind JG and he doesn't want to destroy the confidence of the one QB they have.

The OL hasn't regressed.. they were just never really that great to begin with. Especially if you ignore recruiting rankings.

Pruitt is trying to recruit more speed across the board. He needs time

Reactions: memtownvol
Most have heard of quarterbacks "throwing their receivers open" by putting a ball where the receiver's route takes them to the ball. JG's consistently been late either reading the receiver's progress in the route or just late making the decision to throw which causes him to "throw them closed" more times than I can count.

He knows there's nothing better behind JG and he doesn't want to destroy the confidence of the one QB they have.

The OL hasn't regressed.. they were just never really that great to begin with. Especially if you ignore recruiting rankings.

Pruitt is trying to recruit more speed across the board. He needs time

The OL has absolutely regressed. If you look at an impartial source (PFF), both Wright and Morris have significantly regressed from their freshman year m. Trey has regressed from last year, and so has Kennedy. Case Mays by far has his lowest PFF score.

JG isnt the answer at QB. How come UGA has no issues getting a walk on ready, UF has no issues with a 2* and UK has no issues with a QB that can barely throw a forward pass but our 5* isnt ready?

We are slow defensively. Pruitt still thinks its 2011 and prizes size over speed. Our back 7 cant cover but at least we got big corners..

Alabama's guy that was on Palmer will be all pro NFL someday. I was at the game listening to Kesling/Priest. Tim Priest was heaping praise on (I think #2) for Bama. And it was deserved. That guy is good.

So Tee is in the same boat as Friend and Weinke?

If they are given more chances, which will speed their progress, I think Jimmy Calloway will provide this, as well as, Jimmy Holiday out of the slot. And Malachi Wideman will become a threat in the way that Juan Jennings and Marquez Callaway were able to catch balls in traffic and get YAC, plus get open deep every so often.

Palmer, Hyatt, and Johnson would be killing it if Mac Jones or even Thurston Howell at UGA were throwing them the football.
WRs don't get any separation

Jalin Hyatt says what?

View attachment 319098

Hyatt will be getting separation for as long as he is willing to stay before going to the NFL...he is the fastest Vol I have ever seen and I am 43....but unlike Leonard Scott and the other track guys we tried, or even C Patterson with his sloppy routes, Hyatt is a football player who runs track. Not a sprinter trying to play football. Big big difference. In that short fall camp they said that Hyatt was leading some of the drills along with Palmer because he is already so polished as a route runner...as a brand new 18yo freshman.. the sky is the limit for a kid who legit runs a 4.31 forty and crisp, clean routes.

So so happy we got Hyatt. When we have a decent QB next year, he could be All SEC as a sophomore. Thats how fast he is

this, This, THIS!

When they know you can't throw it down the center of the field, it makes it a lot easier to cover the corners all the way down.

VN Store

Back