WR Malachi Wideman no longer part of program

He didn't seem to be developing. Great athlete but no impact this spring and very little last fall.

Planet is right that you hate to see that kind of freakish athleticism go... but he was buried on the depth chart by guys with football skills.

Are you old enough to remember "Spotted Ape"? Kenny O'Neal was just an incredibly fast WR. I think he was a JUCO 4/5* guy. He was pretty much a bust at UT. Couldn't learn to run routes or catch the ball consistently.
Hell look at Preston Williams from a few years ago. 5* rating 2* heart.

Reactions: sjt18
I had high hopes for Weidman. I guess this is just some more of Pruitts mess Heupel has to try and clean up.

There's a whole world of success in between those things.

We emphasize useless college degrees and demean trade jobs where folks make a lot of money.

Right now, those complaining about inequity and such could go to truck driver school and make really, really good money. In a generation, their kids could dominate the transportation industry. Factory work isn't always a sign of failure. Very few people should view working at a fast food place as a "career choice". It should be a stepping stone to something better or else ownership of a fast food franchise.
I remember one career day, a plumber told us that if you could tolerate the grotesque nature of his chosen field, you could make all the money you wanted. I later saw where that guy lived, and it looked like he was dealing with it pretty well. I learned a lot about judging a profession.

Watching our baseball team has made me realize how far the football team has to go. Its far.
I think your logic is a little off here. 3-4 years is not a long time. Especially the way things have been for the last 15 years. As long as the program can stabilize and we as fans and the players can see progression any team in the SEC(Vandy excluded) should be able to compete week in and week out in 4 years max.

Really? That's what watching the baseball team made you realize? Not counting last year's short season... it has been only 3 seasons since UT was a bottom feeder in the SEC. They were a .500 team most years overall but not competitive in the SEC. VItello was hired in the summer of 2017. His 2018 year he went 29-27 with a 12-18 SEC record. The next year he improved dramatically to 40-21 with a 14-16 SEC record. Last year they were 15-2 before Covid cancelled the competitive portion of the schedule. This year they're in the World Series.

If anything... it proves how "close" a program with UT's resources is to being relevant and then competing at a high level. You have to have the right coach. You have to have a roster that can be developed.

I took something different from the poster. Vitello turned the baseball program around overnight. A quality coach can get a program turned around within a few years.

This proves the inept hires that have been made by the football program. The good news is we have a new coach and White has a history of making good hires so we'll see. We should know after year 4 which direction we're headed. I would normally say after about 3 years but Pruitt has afflicted the program with violations. Results have mixed so far but we're going to have to give some mulligans.

He didn't seem to be developing. Great athlete but no impact this spring and very little last fall.

Planet is right that you hate to see that kind of freakish athleticism go... but he was buried on the depth chart by guys with football skills.

Are you old enough to remember "Spotted Ape"? Kenny O'Neal was just an incredibly fast WR. I think he was a JUCO 4/5* guy. He was pretty much a bust at UT. Couldn't learn to run routes or catch the ball consistently.

What makes you think he was buried on the depth chart? I'm genuinely asking, not being argumentative. I know he didn't do too much last year but we had major quarterback troubles and none of the receivers performed. I think he might've been a guy who would have a breakout year this year but I think maybe he took a step back from the program when it became clear that people associated with big recruiting payments weren't going to be able to stick around at UT. I think that seems like a more logical explanation for his lack of participation in the spring than that multiple people could get far ahead of him in the depth chart, in light of what everyone says about his athletic abilities. So I'm genuinely asking for evidence for him getting beaten out or buried, or lacking football skills. It seems unlikely that he wasn't going to get playing time in an offense that goes so fast and needs lots and lots of receivers to keep up. Got any info about him not being a skillful receiver?

No inside info here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at a school where he could really play football and basketball. I don't think he ever had a real shot playing for Barnes with the way he's recruiting. It would be tough for a two sport player on this team. Like I said, just a guess.

What makes you think he was buried on the depth chart? I'm genuinely asking, not being argumentative.
One was because he didn't play that much last year while some guys still on the roster did. And I remember athleticism being his strong point with work to do on his receiver skills.

The second part of my reasoning may have been wrong. It was my understanding that he participated in part or all of spring ball. Some here are saying he was either limited or did not participate. I could have sworn that there were some comments concerning him in a few of the practice reports but might have been mistaken.

I know he didn't do too much last year but we had major quarterback troubles and none of the receivers performed. I think he might've been a guy who would have a breakout year this year but I think maybe he took a step back from the program when it became clear that people associated with big recruiting payments weren't going to be able to stick around at UT. I think that seems like a more logical explanation for his lack of participation in the spring than that multiple people could get far ahead of him in the depth chart, in light of what everyone says about his athletic abilities. So I'm genuinely asking for evidence for him getting beaten out or buried, or lacking football skills. It seems unlikely that he wasn't going to get playing time in an offense that goes so fast and needs lots and lots of receivers to keep up. Got any info about him not being a skillful receiver?
Good post.

I don't think we will ever know the extent to which the guys who left did so because they were linked to the rule violations. If I were White, I would not want those guys to remain in the program.

Reactions: volinthenorth
This is going to be the norm now with the portal and no sitting out penalties. Kid believes he is buried on the depth chart or in a coaches dog house they are gone to start over. The portal is going to become part of recruiting.

This is going to be the norm now with the portal and no sitting out penalties. Kid believes he is buried on the depth chart or in a coaches dog house they are gone to start over. The portal is going to become part of recruiting.
Kids will adjust as the age old law of supply & demand plays out in front of them. Of course, (as in early NFL draft entrants) there will be some wild azz decisions.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I think your new coach wants smart players, and some of your players are not smart. Maybe new younger players are more teachable, less sullen, and eager to learn or earn on-field time. Maybe even the new staff refuses to pay players who think the team needs them so bad they can force coaches to pay them. Or maybe I should breakfast on half-cooked scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon, and golden bread instead of drinking Bruichladdich for breakfast.

Really? That's what watching the baseball team made you realize? Not counting last year's short season... it has been only 3 seasons since UT was a bottom feeder in the SEC. They were a .500 team most years overall but not competitive in the SEC. VItello was hired in the summer of 2017. His 2018 year he went 29-27 with a 12-18 SEC record. The next year he improved dramatically to 40-21 with a 14-16 SEC record. Last year they were 15-2 before Covid cancelled the competitive portion of the schedule. This year they're in the World Series.

If anything... it proves how "close" a program with UT's resources is to being relevant and then competing at a high level. You have to have the right coach. You have to have a roster that can be developed.
Last time I checked three years from now isnt tomorrow.

VN Store

Back