'18 WR Jaylon Robinson (Ole Miss Commit)

You may be right. But Calloway may have a lobster year this year. Who knows?

b52s-rock-lobster.gif

You think Robinson hasn’t ever had a big drop? Also, Calloway isn’t unproven. He had a decent game against Pitt. Showed good top end speed. Robinson hasn’t done anything at TN.
You have no idea how much Calloway may or may not be running the right routes, blocks, etc. Maybe he can’t get it right

Speculation and nothing more.
That's like saying

Well we don't know if Hooker and Tillman are going to perform as well this year

Who knows if our offense will be as good

Who knows if we even get bowl eligible

You're basically saying we can't take anything that happened in the past will have any impact on the future.

What are the odds Jaylon Robinson who put up 1,000 in 10 games in the AAC, which just put a team in the playoff, at a program that has been better than ours lately, with the same coach

Just doesn't pan out at all here and gets burried in the depth chart behind a bunch of Pruitt orphans?

Now

What are the odds he does play well and at the very least improves the offense overall?

Or are you just playing devils advocate just to be a contrarian?

That's like saying

Well we don't know if Hooker and Tillman are going to perform as well this year

Who knows if our offense will be as good

Who knows if we even get bowl eligible

You're basically saying we can't take anything that happened in the past will have any impact on the future.

What are the odds Jaylon Robinson who put up 1,000 in 10 games in the AAC, which just put a team in the playoff, at a program that has been better than ours lately, with the same coach

Just doesn't pan out at all here and gets burried in the depth chart behind a bunch of Pruitt orphans?

Now

What are the odds he does play well and at the very least improves the offense overall?

Or are you just playing devils advocate just to be a contrarian?
modus operandi

To a degree yes it is. But there are more factors involved. But if he wants a big NIL deal for 1 year, then I hope Heupel lets him go. Would much rather see us go after a defensive player or big time OL.

Not either/or, especially since there are no OL or Def portal prospects at the moment...

According to the VQ podcast, Tennessee is the slight leader. Our depth at QB is attractive to him.

Pretty sure that was recorded before he announced a decision date of 5/18 and then scheduled the Miami visit...

Miami has been on the hunt for wide receivers in the transfer portal since the team concluded spring football and reevaluated what was available on the roster.

Mario Cristobal and his staff have expressed interest in multiple potential options available in the secondary market and are now set to host one on campus for an official visit this week.

That visit, which begins Wednesday, will come from former UCF wideout Jaylon Robinson, who totaled 979 yards and six touchdowns for UCF in 2020, but was limited to just 322 receiving yards and two touchdown catches in 2021 after an injury derailed his season.

“I been contacting Miami here and there but I’ve been doing my own research and the reason I picked the schools I picked was on that research,” Robinson told InsideTheU when reached by phone Monday night. “I finished my research for Miami and I felt like I deserved to give them a chance. They put a good coaching staff together with a good resume. [Josh] Gattis was the offensive coordinator of the year at Michigan.

“He coached a lot of great players like DeVonta Smith, [Jerry] Juedy, [Jaylan] Waddle, all them boys when he was at Alabama. You can’t go wrong with that. He’s been around some good players. He sure knows what he’s talking about. It’s close to home, what I call home in Orlando where I’ve been for three years. It’s here in Florida, so I wouldn’t have to move too far. Miami is a great place. It doesn’t get better than that.”

Knowing Miami has a quarterback in Tyler Van Dyke plays a huge factor as well. Who’s throwing Robinson the ball at the next level is one of his top deciding factors.

“I did my research on him as well and he’s one of the top quarterbacks for next year’s draft class as well,” Robinson said. “Going into this process, the three things when making my decision is, one, do they have a quarterback? I need a quarterback to give me the ball. That’s one. And do they have a backup quarterback just in case of injury. No. 2 is how I fit the scheme. Just on jet sweeps, kick off return, punt return, special teams. How will I be involved in things like that? Three, how will I benefit from NIL, which really doesn’t play a big factor in my decision but I think it would help me out in the end when I have a hard decision to make between other schools.”

Mario Cristobal and Robinson have had a chance to connect over the last few days. Something that stood out is that the Hurricanes head coach made football secondary.

“We chopped it up a lot these last few days,” Robinson said. “What he did at Oregon was good. To be honest, we didn’t talk to much about football. It was more about building relationships and that’s what I kind of liked about him. It was more about chopping it up and non-football conversations. It’s all about the relationships too.”

Charleston Rambo has been a mentor to the Fort Worth, Texas native and was a big part of the reason why Robinson elected to sign with Oklahoma coming out of high school.

“I started training with Rambo when I was in the ninth grade. I was at Oklahoma with him as well. I looked up to Rambo–that’s one of the reasons I went to Oklahoma. Rambo is like a big bro to me. I talked to him. He called me and I asked him about Van Dyke. He gave nothing but good words about Van Dyke and honestly he’s pushed me to go ahead and give Miami the opportunity to show what they can offer,” Robinson said.

Ole Miss, TCU, and Tennessee have all had a chance to host Robinson, who will make a commitment on May 18. The Hurricanes will get the final word, but each of the other programs gave him plenty to think about.

On Ole Miss: “Lane Kiffin, he’s an offensive genius. He has that resume, he’s earned that. What they did with Elijah Moore, I fit that style of play and I can move around like he was and put me in a position to make plays. I like the way Ole Miss used him. When I went to Ole Miss, they had a good breakdown of how I would be used in the system.”

On TCU: “TCU is in the mix because that’s my dream school. My dad also went to TCU, that’s his alma mater. I’m from Fort Worth. My high school is down the street, so I went to TCU games growing up. They didn’t offer me out of high school which was kind of crazy to me. It kind of broke my heart and I’m still hurt about it because that’s my dream school. Sonny Dykes, he’s an Air Raid dude. He throws that ball a lot and that’s also what I’m looking for. What he did at SMU and what he did with those guys. The things he was able to do with them and his offense. Taking it to TCU, I know that he’s going to do the same thing there.”

On Tennessee: “It was just good to reconnect. I already know the offense, so that’s another reason why Tennessee is in my tops. It’s a comfortable transition. I know everyone. They expanded on the system from previous years that they ran at UCF. They still run the same system but they expanded way more on the kind of things they do in formations and how they move people around. They expanded a lot and I like that.”

- MIami 247, last night

Pretty sure that was recorded before he announced a decision date of 5/18 and then scheduled the Miami visit...

Miami has been on the hunt for wide receivers in the transfer portal since the team concluded spring football and reevaluated what was available on the roster.

Mario Cristobal and his staff have expressed interest in multiple potential options available in the secondary market and are now set to host one on campus for an official visit this week.

That visit, which begins Wednesday, will come from former UCF wideout Jaylon Robinson, who totaled 979 yards and six touchdowns for UCF in 2020, but was limited to just 322 receiving yards and two touchdown catches in 2021 after an injury derailed his season.

“I been contacting Miami here and there but I’ve been doing my own research and the reason I picked the schools I picked was on that research,” Robinson told InsideTheU when reached by phone Monday night. “I finished my research for Miami and I felt like I deserved to give them a chance. They put a good coaching staff together with a good resume. [Josh] Gattis was the offensive coordinator of the year at Michigan.

“He coached a lot of great players like DeVonta Smith, [Jerry] Juedy, [Jaylan] Waddle, all them boys when he was at Alabama. You can’t go wrong with that. He’s been around some good players. He sure knows what he’s talking about. It’s close to home, what I call home in Orlando where I’ve been for three years. It’s here in Florida, so I wouldn’t have to move too far. Miami is a great place. It doesn’t get better than that.”

Knowing Miami has a quarterback in Tyler Van Dyke plays a huge factor as well. Who’s throwing Robinson the ball at the next level is one of his top deciding factors.

“I did my research on him as well and he’s one of the top quarterbacks for next year’s draft class as well,” Robinson said. “Going into this process, the three things when making my decision is, one, do they have a quarterback? I need a quarterback to give me the ball. That’s one. And do they have a backup quarterback just in case of injury. No. 2 is how I fit the scheme. Just on jet sweeps, kick off return, punt return, special teams. How will I be involved in things like that? Three, how will I benefit from NIL, which really doesn’t play a big factor in my decision but I think it would help me out in the end when I have a hard decision to make between other schools.”

Mario Cristobal and Robinson have had a chance to connect over the last few days. Something that stood out is that the Hurricanes head coach made football secondary.

“We chopped it up a lot these last few days,” Robinson said. “What he did at Oregon was good. To be honest, we didn’t talk to much about football. It was more about building relationships and that’s what I kind of liked about him. It was more about chopping it up and non-football conversations. It’s all about the relationships too.”

Charleston Rambo has been a mentor to the Fort Worth, Texas native and was a big part of the reason why Robinson elected to sign with Oklahoma coming out of high school.

“I started training with Rambo when I was in the ninth grade. I was at Oklahoma with him as well. I looked up to Rambo–that’s one of the reasons I went to Oklahoma. Rambo is like a big bro to me. I talked to him. He called me and I asked him about Van Dyke. He gave nothing but good words about Van Dyke and honestly he’s pushed me to go ahead and give Miami the opportunity to show what they can offer,” Robinson said.

Ole Miss, TCU, and Tennessee have all had a chance to host Robinson, who will make a commitment on May 18. The Hurricanes will get the final word, but each of the other programs gave him plenty to think about.

On Ole Miss: “Lane Kiffin, he’s an offensive genius. He has that resume, he’s earned that. What they did with Elijah Moore, I fit that style of play and I can move around like he was and put me in a position to make plays. I like the way Ole Miss used him. When I went to Ole Miss, they had a good breakdown of how I would be used in the system.”

On TCU: “TCU is in the mix because that’s my dream school. My dad also went to TCU, that’s his alma mater. I’m from Fort Worth. My high school is down the street, so I went to TCU games growing up. They didn’t offer me out of high school which was kind of crazy to me. It kind of broke my heart and I’m still hurt about it because that’s my dream school. Sonny Dykes, he’s an Air Raid dude. He throws that ball a lot and that’s also what I’m looking for. What he did at SMU and what he did with those guys. The things he was able to do with them and his offense. Taking it to TCU, I know that he’s going to do the same thing there.”

On Tennessee: “It was just good to reconnect. I already know the offense, so that’s another reason why Tennessee is in my tops. It’s a comfortable transition. I know everyone. They expanded on the system from previous years that they ran at UCF. They still run the same system but they expanded way more on the kind of things they do in formations and how they move people around. They expanded a lot and I like that.”

- MIami 247, last night

That interview doesn't read well for us.

Reactions: WestTnVFL971
Robinson has done all of that against group of 5 competition. I guarantee you Calloway and Hyatt would ball out against those teams.
They “balled out” against our competition. We threw them the ball and it fell out of their hands.

According to the VQ podcast, Tennessee is the slight leader. Our depth at QB is attractive to him.
That’s our biggest selling point we have a known commodity at QB that can get him the ball where as the other suitors have a risk at that position

posts from the TCU 247:
TCU had their opportunity to welcome in UCF transfer receiver Jaylon Robinson for an official visit this past weekend. Robinson is one of the top receivers in the portal.

From all accounts, the visit went well for TCU according to several sources.

Robinson did not give a commitment to the Frogs, but the staff relayed how he would be used and how he could be involved in the new offense. Sources told HFB that Robinson plans to just play one more year of college football.

Prior to the visit to TCU, Robinson visited Ole Miss a week ago. Up next, sources have told HFB that a visit to Tennessee will likely be next. Robinson played for current Tennessee head coach Josh Huepel when he was head coach at UCF.

Originally a 2018 recruit, the speedy Robinson was ranked as the No. 32 athlete in the nation out of Fort Worth All Saints. As a senior, he hauled in 65 passes for 1,078 yards and 18 touchdowns. He played his previous three seasons at Fort Worth Paschal, which sits less than a mile from TCU’s campus.

Robinson signed with Oklahoma and spent just one season in Norman before transferring. In 2020, Robinson was one of the top receivers in the American Athletic Conference, hauling in 55 receptions for 979 yards with six scores. He earned first-team All-Conference honors.
I've asked if NIL came up and it did and apparently TCU has no problem matching what Ole Miss is offering for NIL.

Dad is definitely favoring TCU from what I've been told.

TCU is squarely in the mix

Seems like this article was before he visited Tennessee. Tennessee could easily have upped the NIL. Also I read it as the dad preferred TCU to Ole Miss. Nothing about Tennessee in that statement.
the first quote was from before the visit, the other quotes are from later times/dates by the same author

Spring is not always a good indicator (Andison Coby last year), but AP said on a podcast a few weeks ago that Jimmy Holiday and Hyatt both had better springs than Calloway. Sounded like Calloway was down the depth chart.
Calloway may be down the chart but he's still a walking touchdown. Which is a great thing to have in a back up

I mean outside of Tate is doesn't seem were willing to give all that much to wrs in NIL.Supposedly with Tate it isn't all about the money anyways,but with this offense I agree with how their handling things in the wr department.I mean come here and put up huge numbers qnd get urself drafted high or go fetch a college payday somewhere else and hope you make it to the nfl.

Reactions: hooter vol

VN Store

Back