Wouldn't this be beautiful..........

If it's conference champions, then there has to be all 11 included or the organizers (NCAA or not) are going to be sued for billions of dollars.

If it's all at-larges, then recognize that a two-loss SEC champion may well be out of an 8-team playoff no matter what.

This is along the lines of what I think.

I just don't see an end to the griping no matter what, though I suppose I would like to see some sort of playoff.

Make it six teams...all the conference winners. Top two get a bye.

i completely, yet respectfully, disagree. Just because a team wins their conference, they should not be granted a right to play for the national title (i.e. Wake this year, FSU last year). Also, you then disqualify all other non-BCS teams and independents. I believe that the BCS standings ARE good at determining the strength of a team, and the top 8 teams from that rating system should be in the playoffs.

All the arguing back and forth about how many teams should get in a playoff is pointless. Teams play a schedule and prepare for each week as if it's their last game in the current system. To say teams 5-8 in the BCS standings don't deserve a shot at a NC is not fair. Everybody's love affair with OSU is a good example, the teams they played have a record barely above .500. The only "tough" game they played was against an overrated Michigan team.

Back to my point, if teams go into the season knowing there is a 4, 8, 16 team playoff, they will schdule and prepare each week with this in mind. 98% of teams take one loss - they know their season is over in terms of NC chances in the current popularity contest system. With a playoff, you wouldn't have an undefeated OSU this year, the Big10 would force the dead weight programs in the conference to beef it up. Some other games would play out differently as well.

I like this system too. But as with anything in college football there are holes. The current BCS system leaves out a possible #3 team that some argue should be in game as with UF and Michigan this year. The playoff system would cure the #2 to #3 issue but would clear the #8 to #9 issue. There will always be someone who feels they are being left out. Having said that, eight team bracket looks a hec of alot better then the current BCS system. Would rather have the #8 to #9 argument then the #2 to #3 argument. As Hatvol stated, normally at end it is down to about 4 teams anyhow.

I don't really care what a playoff winds up looking like. Reasonable people can figure that and other potential problems out once they sit down to discuss it. But folks need to get to that table and start fleshing it all out, and the sooner the better. It's time that a playoff was an actual topic on the table with the people who get things done. It won't happen until the first steps are taken, so get the walking shoes on folks. It's past time to get moving...

i don't mind the 4 team playoff.. but i don't know how it would work. i think there will be times 4,5,6,7 look very similar and how do you decide then? I really thought that "plus one" game looked really intriguing. going to the bowl games, then deciding who should play for the title, but again, you may come up w/ 3 teams. I agree w/ IE that the current system makes for the most exciting sports season possible. no one cares about college bball right now, and no one cares about baseball til july. in the nfl you've got a bunch of teams hovering around .500 that are going to sneak into the playoffs. no way do i consider their playoffs a better format

I like the 16 team idea, but it would never work, basically for the same reason the brass at the universities don't like the playoff anyway --- too many games. I like eight team set up, make those games your big four BCS games, where the winner gets something i.e. an orange bowl title for winning. Get some kind of other consolation trophy for making it to the finals, and a NC for winning it all. :rock:

Some may say it would bring less meaning to the four major bowls, but hell.. you are going to get people to watch it, thus selling your Tostitos chips, or use FedEx or whatever. But all in all, it would finally give us a true national champ, which everyone who follows the sport deserves.

I like the 16 team idea, but it would never work, basically for the same reason the brass at the universities don't like the playoff anyway --- too many games. I like eight team set up, make those games your big four BCS games, where the winner gets something i.e. an orange bowl title for winning. Get some kind of other consolation trophy for making it to the finals, and a NC for winning it all. :rock:

Some may say it would bring less meaning to the four major bowls, but hell.. you are going to get people to watch it, thus selling your Tostitos chips, or use FedEx or whatever. But all in all, it would finally give us a true national champ, which everyone who follows the sport deserves.

Also, it means just two extra games for the championship final teams, and one for the two losers of the final four.

If you are good enough to make it there in the first place, you should have enough depth to go the distance and play those extra games.

This still would be an unfair advantage for the Big 10, Big East, and Pac-10 though, considering they don't play a conference title game.

But it's still a hell of a lot better than what we've got now.

Teams get hot at the end of the season sometimes. remember the Steelers last year in the NFL. But hey, I wouldn't argue with a 8 team playoff. But I do think the top teams deserve a bye.
Better yet....6 team playoff, top 2 get a bye

They would have to include the bowls into these games somewhere.

I would love a playoff but the tradition of the bowls is nice too.

Yeah, I would miss all the tradition that the Capital One, Chik-fil-a, outback, etc. have! Bowls are about money, in our lifetime we will be hearing (Fill in the blank) Rose Bowl. Even though this one will be the last to completely sell out.

My system, I think, still would work:

Each conference has a mandatory championship game. To achieve this we put Notre Dame into the Big 10, kicking and screaming all the way. Split it into 2 divisions. Take 2 teams from out West and pluck them into the Pac 10 - say Boise State and BYU or something like that. Put the remaining 3 independents into the Big East and add one of the Sun Belt teams to give it 2 divisions and a CC game as well.

All 6 conference champions automatically qualify for the playoffs. The top 4 teams in the country will get auto buys in round one of the playoffs. The remaining 4 teams face off against the 4 "wild card" teams - determined by polls/rankings. First two weekends the high seeded teams play at home:

Week 1 Playoffs:

#5 Conf. Champ VS #12
#6 Conf. Champ VS #11
#7 VS #10
#8 VS #9

Week 2:

#1 VS Winner of 8/9
#4 VS Winner of 5/12
#3 VS Winner of 6/11
#2 VS Winner of 7/10

Week 3 & Finals follow - you get the point. People still wanting bowls can still have them but you can take 12 teams and get a true NC from 12. Yes, 12 is a bit of a higher number but it would factor in undefeated teams from a smaller conference (like Boise St this year) and would make the Conference Championship games HUGE because if you lost the CC game you very well might have blown your chance at another meaningful game for the rest of the year.

Ok here is my system. 6 BCS conference. All 6 conference have to have a championship game. The winners of the Championship games will be ranked 1-6. The top 4 get a bye. 7-12 will be at large bids. 5 will play12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9. The winners will play the top 4 and go from there.

If we drop the 12 game they added this year, I think this would add only 3 games if some team from out of the top 4 made all the way. If it is a top 4 team, they would only have played 2 extra games.

DownNDirty, I didnt see your post before I did mine. Looks like we had the exact same thoughts.

I think that a playoff of 6 is best with conference champs not getting automatic bids. Top 2 seeds get a first round bye as a reward for their season. The other 4 spots get filled by the winners of 4 BCS bowls Similar to the current system, all the major conferences get at least one team. Bowl games are seeded and winners move on. It keeps the same number of BCS teams, but just adds a couple of games

I just think four is the number. Can't think of a season in my lifetime that a four team playoff wouldn't have been sufficient.
i agree completely.
Make it six teams...all the conference winners. Top two get a bye.
one problem...that's not all the conferences......
i completely, yet respectfully, disagree. Just because a team wins their conference, they should not be granted a right to play for the national title (i.e. Wake this year, FSU last year). Also, you then disqualify all other non-BCS teams and independents. I believe that the BCS standings ARE good at determining the strength of a team, and the top 8 teams from that rating system should be in the playoffs.
then what in the world would be the point in determining a conf. champ? if not Wake this year then who from the ACC? Miami? FSU? just because of name value? VT? BC? at some point shouldn't a team be rewarded for their accomplishment? why wouldn't Wake be a capable represenative in a playoff as ACC champ? because they're Wake? because they don't fit the mold of what we perceive as a viable candidate for a national title?

What if KY won the SEC in a given year? would they not be deserving to play for it cause the weren't TN, FL, GA, Aub, LSU, or Bama????

is it only certain teams from certain conferences that are allowed in? if that's the case, we've really just got too many teams playing football in the first place.

sorry to rip that apart like that...but it just made no sense to me, especially considering the fact we are discussing "settling it on the feild". IF there was such a playoff and Wake beat OSU, USC, and then beat FL in the National Champoinship game, would they not have proven their case??? i tend to think they would, especially in the interest of "settling it on the feild".

If we are going to have a playoff, then have a playoff and play the games. but you can't sit there and tell me that we have to have a system to "settle it on the feild", and turn right back around, and say to a team, "but you can't because you don't have the right logo on your helmet". We've already got a system in place that does that for us.

if George Mason had made it to the championship game last year...and won it...would they not be worth of the crown because they weren't Duke, UNC, KY, Uconn, UF etc, etc, etc.?????

same applies here...

i agree completely.

one problem...that's not all the conferences......

then what in the world would be the point in determining a conf. champ? if not Wake this year then who from the ACC? Miami? FSU? just because of name value? VT? BC? at some point shouldn't a team be rewarded for their accomplishment? why wouldn't Wake be a capable represenative in a playoff as ACC champ? because they're Wake? because they don't fit the mold of what we perceive as a viable candidate for a national title?

What if KY won the SEC in a given year? would they not be deserving to play for it cause the weren't TN, FL, GA, Aub, LSU, or Bama????

is it only certain teams from certain conferences that are allowed in? if that's the case, we've really just got too many teams playing football in the first place.

sorry to rip that apart like that...but it just made no sense to me, especially considering the fact we are discussing "settling it on the feild". IF there was such a playoff and Wake beat OSU, USC, and then beat FL in the National Champoinship game, would they not have proven their case??? i tend to think they would, especially in the interest of "settling it on the feild".

If we are going to have a playoff, then have a playoff and play the games. but you can't sit there and tell me that we have to have a system to "settle it on the feild", and turn right back around, and say to a team, "but you can't because you don't have the right logo on your helmet". We've already got a system in place that does that for us.

if George Mason had made it to the championship game last year...and won it...would they not be worth of the crown because they weren't Duke, UNC, KY, Uconn, UF etc, etc, etc.?????

same applies here...

Very hard to argue with that......:salute:

How about this, using the current conferences and keeping Notre Lame's beloved (wretched) independant status. If an independant team (Notre Dame) isn't in the top 12, that spot is replaced by the highest-ranked non-conference champion--a Wild Card! Only conference champions are included because if you aren't the best team in your conference, how are you the best team in the nation?!

Conference Champions ranked by BCS rank.
1) Ohio State (Big 10)
2) Florida (SEC)
3) USC (Pac 10)
4) Notre Dame (Ind.)
5) Oklahoma (Big 12)
6) Louisville (Big East)
7) Wake Forest (ACC)
8) Boise State (WAC)
9) BYU (Mtn. West)
10) Ohio (MAC)
11) Houston (CUSA)
12) MTSU (Sun Belt)

Top 4 teams get byes, other 8 play in the first round:
5 Oklahoma vs. 12 MTSU
6 Louisville vs. 11 Houston
7 Wake Forest vs. 10 Ohio
8 Boise State vs. 9 BYU

If top seeds win out, you would have:
1. Ohio State vs. 8. Boise State
2. Florida vs. 7. Wake Forest
3. USC vs. 6. Louisville
4. Notre Dame vs. 5. Oklahoma

Every one is included, everything is settled on the field, and its a true CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES!:rock:

VN Store

Back